sup people. So I recently bought a Peavey XXX head used, but the guy I bought it from had replaced the tubes in it. I know practically nothing about tubes, but as far as I know he put in some sort of Marshall tubes because it has that really marshally sound that I hate.

I'd just like some advice on what sort of tubes would give me more of a Mesa/Engl, John Petrucci, Muhammed Suicmez type of tone.

If it matters at all, I also have a XXX cab, and play an Ibanez xpt700 with dimarzio de-activators.
"In the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you"

\m/

GEAR:
Ibanez XPT700
Ibanez S Series 7 String
Jacskson USA Soloist
Don't know much about tubes myself but, 6L6's, EL34's? things like that i guess, why dont you have a look at what the stock tubes in Mesa's and ENGL's are?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP LTD H-1001
Axe FX II
Blackstar S1-100 (selling)
Ovation Applause
Keeley modded TS-9
Boss NS-2 (selling)
If it has that marshally sound you hate, there's a good chance he put EL34s in it. Try JJ 6L6s for power tubes, JJ 12AX7s for the rest of them...
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
Quote by DLrocket89
If it has that marshally sound you hate, there's a good chance he put EL34s in it. Try JJ 6L6s for power tubes, ELECTRO-HARMONIX 12AX7s for the rest of them...

I second this, with a slight change
Quote by DLrocket89
If it has that marshally sound you hate, there's a good chance he put EL34s in it. Try JJ 6L6s for power tubes, JJ 12AX7s for the rest of them...
Quote by end_citizen
Quote by DLrocket89
If it has that marshally sound you hate, there's a good chance he put EL34s in it. Try JJ 6L6s for power tubes, ELECTRO-HARMONIX 12AX7s for the rest of them...
I second this, with a slight change
I support neither of these ideas.

Replacing EL34s with 6L6s and NOT even mentioning the need for proper bias adjustment?

Really, guys...
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Replacing EL34s with 6L6s and NOT even mentioning the need for proper bias adjustment?

Really, guys...

Good point.

TS-Read up on how to properly bias your amp. If you are not comfortable doing it, PLEASE take it to a tech.

I suggest you buy the tubes first though. Techs tend to have excessive mark-up.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Really, guys...

Yeah, that's what I get for posting at lunchtime at work. Trying to peruse the entire UG forums in about 10 minutes...
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
this is gonna sound totally scrubby but wtf is biasing?
"In the midst of movement and chaos, keep stillness inside of you"

\m/

GEAR:
Ibanez XPT700
Ibanez S Series 7 String
Jacskson USA Soloist