Page 1 of 2
Hey everyone, I ve been playing for over a year and my dad thinks I should get a new guitar. I play lots of punk and some stuff heavy like creed and slipknot. We are looking at a price range like around 200-700 dollars. What guitars do you think will fit good around in these two genres? Thanks
next time you go to a guitar store, try out epiphone les pauls.
It's all about feel
Quote by nickdohle
What is your amp kind sir??

Line 6 Spider lll 15 watts
Quote by Tap597
some stuff heavy like creed and slipknot.

Some of the meaner people here might jump on you for that...

But what amp do you have? I would personally recommend you get a nice amp before a nice guitar, but that's just me.
So we can sit and tell you every guitar in the world you might want, but you need to try them out. Go to a local store, play on Some Epi les pauls, which i recommend as well, try deans, too. Schecters might be kind to you, and Maybe a PRS SE. I know tremonti has his own SE model. But go and play on them all, you may LOVE the dean and Hate the epi, but find that the PRS is the most comfortable, and vice versa.
Agile Les Paul. Best for the money. But I'd seriously consider getting rid of that Spider first.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by flamedragon88
DEAN DEAN DEAN DEAN DEAN DEAN doooooooooooo ittttttttttttttttttt

Thats really helpful...

Just go into your closest music store and try out as many guitars as you can then narrow it down. I'd also recommend spending alittle on a tube amp.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
NEW AMP!! Must include new amp.

Here.

Go buy a Bugera v22. Then 350 left over, go try around some guitars.
Quote by nickdohle
NEW AMP!! Must include new amp.

Here.

Go buy a Bugera v22. Then 350 left over, go try around some guitars.

Have you ever tried a bugera?

I used to recommended these left and right until I got some time to really playone and it didnt sound at all like the sound clips. No bass end to speak of. Eq'd it a few different ways, only thing I can think of was that it really needs to be cranked to achieve these tones.
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Ok im just wondering.... why do i need a new amp though? I like my amp but i did forget to mention that i have the Boss Me-20. So without that wouldnt sound as good.
Quote by Tap597
Line 6 Spider lll 15 watts
Don't even bother with a new guitar.

Get a new amp. Your amp is terrible. Trust me, the amp makes up more of your tone then the guitar.
Quote by Slanderous666
Have you ever tried a bugera?

I used to recommended these left and right until I got some time to really playone and it didnt sound at all like the sound clips. No bass end to speak of. Eq'd it a few different ways, only thing I can think of was that it really needs to be cranked to achieve these tones.

Well it is a tube amp, they are meant to be cranked. But im going to look at some on saturday, so i can decide if ill stop recommending them then. But i really like the v22, but your right, i shouldnt recommend till i play...
No to epiphone. They are generally WAY overpriced for what you get, just like the real thing (gibson). Deans aren't bad, see if you like them. PRS's are great but they tend to put out a more mid range tone (to me) that is beautiful, but sometimes doesn't work well for heavier stuff (Between the buried and me uses prs sometimes and it sounds awesome, just thought i'd through that out there). ESP LTD's are probably your best bet honestly, they have a wide variety of guitars and are great quality and every esp i've played has had a nice "feel" to it. Try those brands out and stay away from epi les pauls... I'm sorry but just no... Try everything out

also get rid of the spider... seriously... roland cube, peavy vypyr are good practice amps that actually put out a good tone. look for those, I prefer rolands but you might like the effects on the vypyr.
Im gonna say to still try some epis, Every company has bad guitars, but alot of the epiphones ive played on were great instruments for what you get. But, its all an opinion. Do you have a Guitar Center near you? or some other music store?
Quote by nickdohle
Well it is a tube amp, they are meant to be cranked. But im going to look at some on saturday, so i can decide if ill stop recommending them then. But i really like the v22, but your right, i shouldnt recommend till i play...

Cool man, I know tube amps are meant to be cranked just like I played a peavey jsx side by side with one and the peavey sounded great at any volumes. Cool man lets us know what you think of the bugeras
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by KillahSquirrel
What kind of guitar do you have now?

Its a Carlo Robelli Guitar. my uncle got it free for gettin a gibson les paul that was like 900$
Quote by Slanderous666
Cool man, I know tube amps are meant to be cranked just like I played a peavey jsx side by side with one and the peavey sounded great at any volumes. Cool man lets us know what you think of the bugeras

Im stoked. I want to play a 1990 and a V22. Ill prolly get the V22. But im not sure yet. Gotta play em!!

With a 700 dollar budget, you can get a new amp and guitar. Thats what i recommend.
don't listen to the people telling you to get a new amp. guitar is more important, because that's the essential. it's like somebody telling you to put an expensive sound system in a car that's a piece of crap.
It's all about feel
don't listen to the people telling you to get a new amp. guitar is more important, because that's the essential. it's like somebody telling you to put an expensive sound system in a car that's a piece of crap.

^What?
The amp is by far and foremost the most essential part of your tone. If the guitar is playable and not in shambles, I'd say the amp is more important.

And FYI, I have a rocking sound system in a ****ty car, and it's awesome.
I've heard the Blackstar HT-5 is a good high-gain low cost/wattage tube amp. I'm sure you can find that and a good guitar, used of course, for $700
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by KillahSquirrel
^What?
The amp is by far and foremost the most essential part of your tone. If the guitar is playable and not in shambles, I'd say the amp is more important.

And FYI, I have a rocking sound system in a ****ty car, and it's awesome.

so you're saying you'd rather drive a 98 geo metro with a bose surround sound system than a 7 series bmw with no stereo?
It's all about feel
Your analogy still holds no merit. Having a better car is not going to improve your sound system (In fact, it can only make it worse in the case of BMWs). Improving your sound system will also not improve the performance of your car.

However, the amp for a guitar will affect your tone far greater than the guitar will.
Quote by Natrone
I've heard the Blackstar HT-5 is a good high-gain low cost/wattage tube amp. I'm sure you can find that and a good guitar, used of course, for $700

Isnt the HT-5 a 5 watt class A amp aimed towards classic rock and blues?
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
^From what I've heard it does pretty good hi-gain. I think you're thinking of the Blackhearts. Those are definately aimed towards classic and blues rock
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by KillahSquirrel
Your analogy still holds no merit. Having a better car is not going to improve your sound system (In fact, it can only make it worse in the case of BMWs). Improving your sound system will also not improve the performance of your car.

However, the amp for a guitar will affect your tone far greater than the guitar will.

there's more to guitar playing than tone, brotha
It's all about feel
Quote by KillahSquirrel

agree
Tone is more important to me than playablility. Unless your guitar is complete crap get a new amp.
lol, $200-$700 is a pretty big pricerange. We could be talking about somethin like a Squire, or a Schecter custom or something like that. I think we need it narrowed down a bit.
Quote by hopespaul
there's more to guitar playing than tone, brotha

Well, let's say this.

It really depends on the TS's playing styles. If he plays unplugged a lot, then yea, he shoul get a new guitar over a new amp. So, TS, do you play with your amp plugged in more or with it unplugged?
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
I'd look at some Epiphone SG's.

I saw this punk band playing at this thing I was working at, and he played it through some Marshall amp and got an amazing sound... (for punk.)
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Quote by hopespaul

WTF are you talking about?

Without an amp, your sound is nothing.

If you have a crap guitar, you can still make it sound decent with a good amp. Your amp deals with the signal your guitar is sending it, thus changing it. You can do more with a better amp. See what I'm saying?

Not that guitars aren't crucial, but jesus. These people need to think before opening their mouths.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Amp first.

My suggestion to you is- blackstar ht5 (it's a great high gain amp, get the halfstack)
Used epiphone guitar- appx $250 and you can find a decent epiphone.

This sits you at $650 plus tax. If you don't have enough money, get the amp first.
Go down to guitar center and try the ht5. You won't regret it.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by hopespaul
so you're saying you'd rather drive a 98 geo metro with a bose surround sound system than a 7 series bmw with no stereo?

Personally I would, I'd go insane if I couldn't listen to music while driving.
The blackstar is actually really cheap, 300 for the head brand new.

so 400 for the stack, if you want that, and that leaves 300 for a guitar. You could probably find an allright guitar for $300, I got my Iceman for $250 and its my favourite guitar.

But don't be afraid to save up more money for something you really like.
Page 1 of 2