well if you play Metallica the Ex is going to be better, I have on on order in fact and I have heard nothing but good things about it.
Set Up:
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR
ESP LTD EX-401
AMP: Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Sanpera Footpedal
are you planning on buying these online or buying them in a store? You should buy them from a store so you can try both of them out and see what you like better.
Epi ftw. I hate the newer EX series.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Quote by Spowell8787
are you planning on buying these online or buying them in a store? You should buy them from a store so you can try both of them out and see what you like better.

I'd never buy gear without trying it out, but I have to plan my whole day around going to Guitar Center since it takes an hour both ways, and the only local music store only sells Kellys (as Explorer shaped guitars).
Quote by Alex Vik
I'd never buy gear without trying it out, but I have to plan my whole day around going to Guitar Center since it takes an hour both ways, and the only local music store only sells Kellys (as Explorer shaped guitars).

Are the kellys out of your budget, or do you not like them? Those are my favorite explorer shaped guitar.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
LTD.

Better components combined with tighter QC and higher quality construction=better guitar.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
epi for sure...the EX's just dont have that thrashy explorer feel to them...

They are good for metal though.
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
Quote by sw1ss023
Are the kellys out of your budget, or do you not like them? Those are my favorite explorer shaped guitar.

They're nice looking guitars and all, but the shape just wouldn't be enough to end my Explorer GAS. It's close, but it's too curvy for me to consider it a Explorer.
with lower priced guitars, te EMG's will be even harder to handle... if you are a sloppier player, you do NOT want active pickups, they pick up every single note practically
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
Quote by cukd7x-a2-
with lower priced guitars, te EMG's will be even harder to handle... if you are a sloppier player, you do NOT want active pickups, they pick up every single note practically

Well, that would just force me to play less sloppy then.
Have some class. Go with the Epi
Quote by LuckyBoys91
+ ****ing 1

i've got a point

Quote by Pr0gNut
No,they're to high end for me.I usually just walk into a random building and scream "FIX MY BANJO NOW!!!!" until they hit me with sticks and call the police.

TSHM.
my friend has an FX-260 and it plays great, it feels really good to play. It even has coil taps, which actually work well. The only downside to the guitar is that the pickups themselves arent too great.