What I am looking for is a classical song with finger picking. I want the song to be short or have a short part that repeats throughout the song. And also what is a good genre with good finger picking? And also are there any proper techniques to use? Is using your pinky proper?
Thanks
Last edited by Splagl at Aug 31, 2009,
Classical Gas (Claptons version)
Greensleeves
Nothing Else Matters-metallica: not classical but great for fingerpicking
Stairway to Heaven- led Zeppelin: ^^^
Don't use your pinky at all, and gennetally assign a certain string for each of the 4 fingers. No u won't be able to stay that way but I mean in general. Like, your thumb 90% of the time shouldn't I past the A string... Ring funded should stay at high E and B strings
Are you looking for real classical songs? Like Spanish guitar, like the Malaguena? I have a huge amount of real classical stuff that I want to tab but never got around to.
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Maybe not spanish guitar as all the stuff I heard of it sounds really hard and fast. And also they are on classical guitars which I don't have. But I like classical stuff like Fur Elise. I learned it on piano and is the only classical song I remebered. So if anyone else has suggestions like it that would be appreciated. And also Stairway to Heaven is fun to finger pick so maybe stuff like that too.
Thanks
Yeah both examples of that are stuff that I like. I recognize the example of the 2nd link and the first one sounded good. So I don't know what that would be called. Would it be called Classical or something else? But yeah stuff like that.
Thanks
Quote by Hendrallica
Don't use your pinky at all, and gennetally assign a certain string for each of the 4 fingers. No u won't be able to stay that way but I mean in general. Like, your thumb 90% of the time shouldn't I past the A string... Ring funded should stay at high E and B strings

WTF!!

Anyway, Beethoven's moonlight sonata is fun to play, there's a pretty good tab on this site.
Quote by Splagl
Yeah both examples of that are stuff that I like. I recognize the example of the 2nd link and the first one sounded good. So I don't know what that would be called. Would it be called Classical or something else? But yeah stuff like that.
Thanks

well the scond one is mozarts alla turca, the first is eric johnsons song for life. i wouldnt call song for life classical though. some people call it "modern classical" but id just call it an instrumental. i wouldnt really call classical gas calssical either. you might be able to find sheet music for classical songs on guitar at a good music store. you should be able to find tabs for eric johnsons song for life somewhere. it came with complete tabs in the DVD that that video is from. i have it i just havent come around to learning it yet.
Quote by Hendrallica

General guidelines say you use your thumb on the lower three strings and your other ones on the top three. But they're guidelines, and are definitely broken very often.

Search around there's a threads I started yonks ago that had beginner classical guitar songs, with links to videos and tabs.
Last edited by Confusius at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by Confusius
That's not true.

General guidelines say you use your thumb on the lower three strings and your other ones on the top three. But they're guidelines, and are definitely broken very often.

Search around there's a threads I started yonks ago that had beginner classical guitar songs, with links to videos and tabs.
Might want to read that one more time as he mentioned twice he was speaking in general and said 90% of the time the thumb only plays the E/A string (should've included the D), not always.
Meh, I just scrolled over his post. It's not like what I was saying was untrue anyway. I've fixed ma post a bit.
canon in D or C is easy, romance, mazurka choro, mood for a day
not certain if this is the kind of style that you are looking for but my suggestion is 'Dee' - Randy Rhoads.

its finger picked and just youtube it, its a sweet little ditty, and short.
Quote by jemjabella42
People look too much into body language. Sometimes I don't make eye contact with people because they are ugly.
any genre can use finger picking but classical, alot of blues, flamenco, ragtime. you can also look into scruggs and travis picking. and of course theres technique. most people dont use their pinky on their right hand.
Last edited by Anesthetica at Sep 3, 2009,
Quote by rockinrider55
Villa-Lobos Studies
Bach Lute Suites

FTW!!

.... not for the faint of heart, though.... those are *tough* pieces.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I agree... villa lobos was and still is a difficult ass to get through... especially "chorinho", for me at least. I wasn't good at sheet music and that was one of the first pieces I looked at in sheet. Anyway, what I played was definitely not the song when I listened to it later, lol.
Villa is still not easy after all the years.

I can't recommend easy guitarists for you to listen to outside of classical, like Michael Hedges, Andy McKee, Doyle Dykes.... most artists on the windham hill label. Not easy, but thats where fingerpicking can maybe lead you to. Who knows, you might even land up like Adrian Legg or something.

Your pinky can be used in classical... and Christopher Parkening described in a hot licks periodical once about the benefits of using it.

Maybe get yourself the Carcassi method books.... they are pretty good for standing the test of time. I hope this helps