So, I know I'll probably always have to go into my head voice for things such as the ridiculously high chest notes in the middle of Jeff Buckley's "Grace", but I'd like to get as close as I can to being able to belt high notes like that without switching to my head voice (which sounds sort of like Matt Bellamy's head voice except it's a little "thicker") or ruining my vocal cords. Throw out as much advice as possible to help me get to that point. My head voice is pretty powerful, but it's just not the sound I'm looking for (it sounds odd with my playing style, which is 100% acoustic, and mostly fingerstyle right now).

Also, I read somewhere that to hit those freakishly high notes, Jeff used something called a coordinated head voice, which is apparently just a full-sounding head voice that is neither mixed voice nor falsetto. Does anyone here know more about this?

And how can I clear my throat without doing damage?

BTW, sorry if this is the wrong section for this - it's the most relevant I could find.
Try opening up your soft palate, not sure if that's what it's called. It's that part of your throat that vibrates when you snort. Open it until you can feel the air flowing through it.
Quote by pwrmax
Try opening up your soft palate, not sure if that's what it's called. It's that part of your throat that vibrates when you snort. Open it until you can feel the air flowing through it.

Whenever I do that it feels and sounds like I'm straining. What might I be doing wrong? It sounds all raspy.