Hey guys, I normally dont venture in this forum... but I figured I need some help. Ive pretty much hit a wall with getting better. Ive been playing for probably five years now, and within the last year, I really have not seen any improvement in my technique at all. I can play Metallica and most metal rhythm all day, but when it comes to soloing, I cant get out of the pentatonic or minor scale style that sounds like Kirk Hammett. I want to get better at leads, and I cant. Ive tried sweeping, and every time I do, I just get frustrated and quit trying to learn, and Im not sure if its a skill I will ever pick up. But I would like to learn some more scales, ascending and descending runs, and mainly getting out of that god forsaken box. Are there any exercises, links, or songs you guys could recommend me to check out to try and get out of this rut? Ive looked around on the web and all the metal style licks are either sweep picking or in the style of Kirk Hammett it seems. Thanks for any help.
get a teacher maybe. or just learn seomthing fun. when i felt like this. i just boke down they main skills and stopped learning songs for a year and just learned the skills needed to play songs// if that makes sence. i took parts from songs and practiced them knowing that they would improve my picking. and they did.
my advice, no what you wanna get better at and pratice that. just focus on it.
Find a good metal theory book for all type of metal... Learn some Steve vai or rusty cooley I you're up to it
Learn some blues, look up Marty Friedman's melodic control video if you didn't already.
Practice makes perfect with sweeping. I already got it down, i've been playing just as long as you, but I never really cared about soloing till recently, now I'm stumped with understanding half the tutorials on UG.
Guitars:
LTD Viper 300FM
Jackson DX10D
MIM Tele
MIM Strat
Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - Stock Eminence Legend
Peavey Ultra Plus 120 Watt Head
Rivera R412T - Loaded with Celestion V30s
Pedals:
Boss NS-2
TC Flashback X4
TC Trinity Reverb
well your playings pretty damn good lol, better than most people who post on these forums I bet
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
try playing something else

like over some major backing tracks

or some jazz

it will help you get out of the box.
Try to learn something besides Metal. When i get stuck on blues i try to learn something diffrent for a while, then when i go back to playing blues it somehow gets me out of that rut.
Quote by thetoastinator
Hey guys, I normally dont venture in this forum... but I figured I need some help. Ive pretty much hit a wall with getting better. Ive been playing for probably five years now, and within the last year, I really have not seen any improvement in my technique at all. I can play Metallica and most metal rhythm all day, but when it comes to soloing, I cant get out of the pentatonic or minor scale style that sounds like Kirk Hammett. I want to get better at leads, and I cant. Ive tried sweeping, and every time I do, I just get frustrated and quit trying to learn, and Im not sure if its a skill I will ever pick up. But I would like to learn some more scales, ascending and descending runs, and mainly getting out of that god forsaken box. Are there any exercises, links, or songs you guys could recommend me to check out to try and get out of this rut? Ive looked around on the web and all the metal style licks are either sweep picking or in the style of Kirk Hammett it seems. Thanks for any help.

You seem to have quite a pessimistic outlook which i don't think will help in the long run. Possibly you are trying too hard and that makes you fustrated? Try to take things a bit slower, don't rush and I can guarantee you will progress faster by learning slower.

Also, as bangoodcharlotte (still can't help reading it as bang good charlotte ) said, her sig is your friend. Check the links there.
You could also try embracing your subconcious blues tendencies, and don't fight it so much. Try putting as much soul as you can into your phrasing. Let your music FEEL more, and put less emphasis into the technical "ooohs" and "aaahhhs".

Go cover some Tesla, and let your blues side out without being chained to Kirk Hammett.
Simple answer is you need to stop worrying about what you can't do and instead focus on what you can do and how you can improve it. Staring off into the distance is all well and good but it's not going to help you any, you need to set realistic short term goals and look to develop the skills and abilities from where you are now. No point losing sleep over sweeping arpeggios at 160bpm if you can't actually sweep yet, and really there's little point worrying about sweeping if you lack the theory knowledge to do anything with it.

Listen to more music, learn to play more music and take on little bits it all. And don't be fooled into thinking you need to learn "harder" things to get better, you don't. Anything you new you learn will help you develop no matter how easy you percieve it to be, and arguably at this stage you'll get more benefit from learning "simpler" music that relies more on harmony, melody and note choice rather than also looking to dazzle the user with technical pyrotechnics. Learning some Beatles would help - love them or loath them in just about every Beatles composition there is always one note or chord that makes you sit up and take notice, just because it wasn't what quite you'd expect to be there. That's the kind of thing that makes a great musician, not how fast they can play.

Likewise learn some theory, and teach yourself to think music. When it comes to improv, soloing or any playing your hands are not where the process starts or ends. Teach yourself to form an idea of the sound you want in your head before you even touch the strings, and once you've played it actively listen and make sure it was the sound you wanted.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com