well i was watching some paul gilbert (Technical Difficulties) and i realized i dont use my pinky at all
how do i fix that?
The same thing happened to me. Just try substituting your pinky in for your ring finger whenever you can. If you don't use your pinky for power chords you can use that in there.
Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
just use it....
Gear:

Gibson SG Standard
Gibson SG Special /w EMGs
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960 B Cab

Check out my band...

start playing chromatic patterns using all 4 fingers
do it in all positions on all strings in as many different patterns as you can, skipping strings and using legato and alternate picking whenever you can. Keep on increasing speed. then start incorporating it into your playing. try doing some arpeggios, using your pinky on everything more than 3 frets from your index, and do the same for scales. eventually, it'll become second nature to you
try lots of scales that cover a lot of fretboard space. I used to have the same thing, but now I can't play without my pinky.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Elden G20
Use your pinky.

I SEE!!
Seriously tho if i wanted answers like these ill go the pit
Try playing one finger per fret as far as practical, so each finger covers a fret and if you need to go down or up an extra fret you stay in the same position and stretch either your index finger or your pinky to reach the note.
Quote by zhilla
Try playing one finger per fret as far as practical, so each finger covers a fret and if you need to go down or up an extra fret you stay in the same position and stretch either your index finger or your pinky to reach the note.
Yeah, I started as a pentatonic player, and I didn't use the pinky at all for them. There's nothing wrong with it in that context, IMO. But I needed to learn to use my pinky where it was appropriate.

How I did that is basically as zhilla said, while learning the major scale. I got used to following strict fingerings as he described it. Find 4 frets that are central to the scale and keep one finger per fret, always. Any note that lies one fret up or down from that, reach with the index or pinky. I'm repeating here, but my point is to do this and apply it to a relevant scale like the major scale. Running a major scale without the pinky would be awkward, I would think.

Would also suggest you try out some arpeggios that include some pinky work. In particular, you'll find rolling to be difficult with the pinky! Here's a simple one:

-------------------5-
----------------5----
-------------6-------
----------7----------
----4--7-------------
-5-------------------

(Tabbed by hand on the fly, forgive me if I messed it up) So the first note is with your middle finger. The two notes you see on the 7th frets should be played with the pinky. It's A major.

If that seems easy, this one takes quite a bit to be comfortable with. It's D major:

----------------5-
-------------7----
----------7-------
----4--7----------
-5----------------
-------------------

The tricky part is the roll with the pinky across the three notes on the 7th fret. Root is that first note on the A string played with the middle finger.

If your pinky is weak, other than just using it, trills may help a bit. Don't overdo it.

One thing that takes a long while is bending with the pinky. Remember to use your other fingers to help support the string (i.e. supportive fingering). Would leave that for later, it's tricky, as is vibrato. My pinky vibrato is still in need of serious work. Perhaps it'll never be as good as vibrato with my other fingers, who knows. Still worth working on, IMO.

But before all that, just the major scale, or even 1-2-3-4 type exercises (and variations) are a great start to get you coordinated.

Typed more than I meant to, but hope it helps.
"Whaddya mean DYNAMICS?! I'm playing as loud as I can!"
Playing the 'Beat It' (Michael Jackson) riff over and over again really helped out.

e:-----|-------------------|-----------------|-------------------|-------------||
B:-----|-------------------|-----------------|-------------------|-------------||
G:-----|-------------------|-----------------|-------------------|-------------||
D:-----|-------5-2-----4-|---2-------------|-------5-2-----4-|---2--------||
A:-----|-----2-------------|-----5---5------|-----2------------|-----5------||
E:--0--|---3--------------|---------------0-|---3--------------|-------------||

Play the notes on the 5th fret with your little finger. It helped me loads.

Also, try to always play power chords with your little finger.
Check out my Electronica project!
http://
Last edited by RyoujokuNoAme at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by DIFTWOOD
I SEE!!
Seriously tho if i wanted answers like these ill go the pit

You have to admit it's kind of a retarded question.

It's YOUR pinky, you're the one not using it, if you want that to change then start using it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You have to admit it's kind of a retarded question.

It's YOUR pinky, you're the one not using it, if you want that to change then start using it.

no its not a retarded question. Its not that i dont use it, I use it to a moderate amount. But my pinkys still preety weak so i was hopeing (and i did ) to get some replys about how to strengthen my pinky.
seriously man...
if you have nothing to contribute dont say anything
Quote by DIFTWOOD
no its not a retarded question. Its not that i dont use it, I use it to a moderate amount. But my pinkys still preety weak so i was hopeing (and i did ) to get some replys about how to strengthen my pinky.
seriously man...

Generally to strengthen it more, you use it more. its not rocket science dude.
try this

e|--------------------------1-2-1--------------------------
B|---------------------1-2---------2-1--------------------
G|----------------1-2------------------2-1----------------
D|-----------1-2----------------------------2-1-----------
A|------1-2--------------------------------------2-1------
E|-1-2------------------------------------------------2-1-

Hitting the first note then hammering or pulling off to the next, using your ring and pinky finger, do this up to the 12th fret. rinse, repeat.
Quote by DIFTWOOD
seriously man...

... This question answers itself. If you want to start using your pinky to make it stronger.... THEN START USING IT. There's no +5 pinky strength potion floating around that nobody's told you about. You strengthened your other fingers by using them, so strengthen your pinky by using IT. It's not terribly difficult to understand.

seriously man...
Quote by Elden G20
Use your pinky.

This is exactly what you need to do. It is hard at first, but after about a day it becomes just another finger.
Quote by Carlos Again
This is exactly what you need to do. It is hard at first, but after about a day it becomes just another finger.
First sentence is true, certainly. To get better with the pinky, use it. It's glib bit true.

But one day to have the pinky be equal with the other fingers? Not a chance. You'll be missing the string, dropping the string when bending, having a terrible vibrato, etc, for some time, I'm afraid. It doesn't take that long to get pretty good with it, but let's not go overboard... lol
"Whaddya mean DYNAMICS?! I'm playing as loud as I can!"
play chromatic pattern with all 4 fingers, play spider exercises with all 4 fingers, play licks that involve alot of pinky action, just use it untill it gets used to not being lazy
I use my pinky for everything, even pentatonics.

What you have to start doing is always assigning one finger to a fret and using your pinky to stretch out to further ones and only move your hand position when you absolutely have to.
Quote by DIFTWOOD
seriously man...

Maybe is not a retarded question, but the answer: "use your pinky" is the most obvious and appropiate one for your question.

Anyway, watch this video for some great exercises from the Master Satriani:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCbS1BWrTcs
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS