Page 1 of 3
what would you say is the most out-there music you listen to? like, music that most of your friends and family would hate.

for me, it's gotta be Troust Mask Replica.

how about you guys?
I've got the spirit, but lose the feeling.
Quote by TheClincher
Electric Wizard. lol.

YEEEEEE, love the Wizard.

I think the worst reaction I would get would be from grind bands I listen to like Assuck.
Also Anaal Nathrakh, Portal,
Last edited by GREENWARRI0R at Sep 1, 2009,
Probably Nortt or Sunn O))), definitely some weird funeral doom/drone kind of thing.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Most of my friends hate a lot of the music I listen too. :/ But I suppose they really dislike Animal Collective and Radiohead.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
i love electric wizard! I have both of portal's albums, they make me feel sick and give me a headache, heh. Psyopus, Captain Beefheart, Primus and all sorts of grind bands.
Quote by psyo
i love electric wizard! I have both of portal's albums, they make me feel sick and give me a headache, heh. Psyopus, Captain Beefheart, Primus and all sorts of grind bands.

what kind of music is Portal? What are the album names? I can't find any info on them, and I am intrigued.

Also I like showing my friends Merzbow just to **** with them.
Quote by Tedward
what kind of music is Portal? What are the album names? I can't find any info on them, and I am intrigued.

Also I like showing my friends Merzbow just to **** with them.

They are an death metal / experimental band. Kinda hard to describe though... you'll have to listen for yourself. Check out their album "Outre"
Two albums called Seepia and Outre. I'd call it experimental art metal. The guitar work is amazingly technical, but its lost a little bit in the production (the reason it induces so many headaches for me lol).
Last edited by psyo at Sep 1, 2009,
Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time is up there, as well as a lot of other 20th century classical music.

People also really hate it when I put on Miles Davis' Bitches Brew, but that's understandable, since it's anything but easy listening.

Also, my mom gave me weird looks when I put on some Medeski, Martin, and Wood in her car once.
Quote by psyo
Two albums called Seepia and Outre. I'd call it experimental art metal.

I've only heard their album Outre. I'll have to check out Seepia for sure.
System Of A Down
I am freaking obsessed with them
* If my punctuation seems off, it's because my shift button is broken *
Quote by Holy Katana
Messiaen's Quartet for the End of Time is up there, as well as a lot of other 20th century classical music.

People also really hate it when I put on Miles Davis' Bitches Brew, but that's understandable, since it's anything but easy listening.

Also, my mom gave me weird looks when I put on some Medeski, Martin, and Wood in her car once.

As much as I love that album I have to agree the first time is very weird.
not so much out there, but every time i hear Opeth im like...how did they come up with this?

Busdriver, for all those hiphop fans.
Quote by akack

WHY DO I WANT TO LISTEN TO IT AGAIN!?

Hahahah I know. It's actually getting addictive now
I'd say John Coltrane's Ascension is probably the most "challenging" album I have in my library.

Obscura is up there too. Oh, and Mr. Bungle (and the various spin-offs/similar bands), although in retrospect, they aren't nearly as "experimental" as they're claimed to be.
Last edited by Doppelgänger at Sep 1, 2009,
mr bungle- disco volante

secret chiefs 3- everything

good stuff man we need more wacky/alternative threads
Progressive Rock and Metal. Stuff like Anglagard, Premiata Forneria Marconi, VDGG, Nexus, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Khan...

Not unlistenable, but hard to get. Most people that I know wouldn't enjoy them.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by urik
Progressive Rock and Metal. Stuff like Anglagard, Premiata Forneria Marconi, VDGG, Nexus, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Khan...

Not unlistenable, but hard to get. Most people that I know wouldn't enjoy them.

I wouldn't really call Mahavishnu prog; they're old-school jazz fusion. If you like them, give Miles Davis' albums In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew, and A Tribute to Jack Johnson try. They all have McLaughlin on guitar, and are in the same vein as Mahavishnu.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Sep 1, 2009,
My family hates most things I listen to. Right now it's Frank Sinatra. I just now got into his music and my family hates that. My family listens to all pop and Christian music so they don't understand me at all
Isis. A bunch of techdeth bands like Augury or Obscura. Then there's funeral doom metal stuff, Ahab comes to mind. Miles Davis and Allan Holdsworth gets really wierd for me at times, I like them both though.
drone doom is pretty out there.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
Gorguts- Obscura.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Bungle of course are legends, Locust, Secret Chiefs 3, Melt Banana, Crystal Castles
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
not sure.
not complex or anything, but dan deacon's pretty odd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubT6L7kollg
in a very uplifting way
generally people love it the first time they hear it, but it kinda makes them question the idea of musical taste

dj scotch egg is pretty f'd up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VNEUJz9Dug
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Sep 1, 2009,
Page 1 of 3