Poll: Who actually listens to Classical Music?
Poll Options
View poll results: Who actually listens to Classical Music?
Yes
533 64%
No
124 15%
I have listened to some
304 36%
Ehhhhh
98 12%
Voters: 837.
Page 1 of 8
So after listening to lots of neo-classical, i find myself lately venturing into the realm of classical music. i heard that many guitarists were influenced by it and found it interesting. and i have listened to many classical composers and i have fallen in love with some of debussy's works along with paganninis 24 caprices. So yeah who actually listens? were not talking about knowing just like 1 or 2 pieces here.right now i cant stop listening to Debussy's La Fille aux cheveux de lin. so beatifull and emotional it actually brought tears to my eyes. embarrassing yes but i dont care. and Paganini's 13th caprice is also quite amazing. and incredibly technical too. i suggest you check them out.
Classical Guitarist
I will on occasion. I don't have any on my iPod or anything, but i have a couple of CD's laying around that i'll turn on when i want to just have a chill, calm environment to work in.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
I do occasionally
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Only the baby mozart, bach, beethoven collections with my baby.
In the Valley of Vung
Holst is my favourite, Elgar coming in second.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
i think a lot of people will say yes just cuz they wanna seem well rounded or something, i dunno. but really, im a major Pachelbel fan.
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
poll adds up to somewhere near 150%
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Zep_shizzle
So after listening to lots of neo-classical, i find myself lately venturing into the realm of classical music. i heard that many guitarists were influenced by it and found it interesting. and i have listened to many classical composers and i have fallen in love with some of debussy's works along with paganninis 24 caprices. So yeah who actually listens? were not talking about knowing just like 1 or 2 pieces here.right now i cant stop listening to Debussy's La Fille aux cheveux de lin. so beatifull and emotional it actually brought tears to my eyes. embarrassing yes but i dont care. and Paganini's 13th caprice is also quite amazing. and incredibly technical too. i suggest you check them out.

Paganini's stuff sucks, to be completely honest. He was a great violinist, but not a very good composer.

Debussy's one of my favorites, though. "La fille aux cheveux de lin" is one of my favorites, too.

I listen to mostly 20th century stuff, but I love Bach, which is kind of weird, because I don't really like much else from the Baroque period.

You want technical? Check out Shostakovich's 24 Preludes and Fugues.
I find a lot of it to be really boring. Just because it was written a couple hundred years ago doesn't make it flawless. There's plenty of garbage classical out there. I do however love the vast majority of Bach's work and most of Mozart's symphonies (40 is my favorite). I really just don't like the romantic period at all though. Where is the melody?
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Holy Katana
Paganini's stuff sucks, to be completely honest. He was a great violinist, but not a very good composer.

Debussy's one of my favorites, though. "La fille aux cheveux de lin" is one of my favorites, too.

I listen to mostly 20th century stuff, but I love Bach, which is kind of weird, because I don't really like much else from the Baroque period.

i really like la campanella by paganini. but i know what you mean. i find his stuff amazing playing wise but a lot of his stuff seems kinda repetitive like his famous 24th caprice.

but anyway, i dont listen to it as much as i do blues and rock, but i do listen to it.
i haven't listened to classical in awhile ....

think i'll go do that soon :-)

gotta love orchestra Beethoven no way that dude is deaf...... not buying it :-D
Quote by Holy Katana

well i enjoy his stuff.ill check out shostakovich's stuff.
yeah bach is one that i plan on listening alot more too. once i get more reccomendations. what do you like mostly? tell me about some of the more melodic stuff with slow tempo.
Classical Guitarist
Yeah, I'm mostly a fan of the Romantic period onwards, but I do have Mozart + Beethoven + Bach (who doesnt?).

Favourite composers are probably Debussy, Ravel, and Rachmaninoff.
Quote by Rhadamontrix
hay man, Tchaikovsky is full of ownage

yes! his stuff has made me wanna learn to read above first position lol
Classical Guitarist
Any of Bach's cello or lute suites are amazing. Maybe a bit of violin's, but outside of that I'm not interested.
With our lives based on the hope for salvation
The humanist paradigm is nothing but a charade
Condemned to inertia: a passive race
We wait and contemplate

I have a Chopin compilation, the Vivaldi's Four Seasons, and a 4 CD's Classical compilation that I use to study. Really love it.
My favorites are Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky, and Handel.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I wake up everyday to classical music on my alarm clock. Right now I've got Haydn cello concerto #1 in C starting out my day.
Yes. Yesterday, I didn't listen to much music, but my playlist consisted of Mozart's Requiem and Brain Drill. Lately I've also been listening to some Vivaldi and Beethoven.
Sworn enemy of the private investigator.
Quote by Zep_shizzle
well i enjoy his stuff.ill check out shostakovich's stuff.
yeah bach is one that i plan on listening alot more too. once i get more reccomendations. what do you like mostly? tell me about some of the more melodic stuff with slow tempo.

My favorite composers are probably Steve Reich and Olivier Messiaen. I also like Stravinsky, Tchaikovsky, Schoenberg, Berg, Hindemith, Bartok, and Shostakovich. If you want more melodic stuff, I'd recommend Aaron Copland, Steve Reich, Philip Glass, or John Adams. Their works are pretty approachable. Also, Reich, Glass, and Adams are all still alive, so that's also cool.
I hate neoclassical.

some of my favorite composers are Handel, Bach, Grieg, Vivaldi, Chopin, Beethoven etc.
Tocatta and Fugue in Dm>All.

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
Quote by NoOne0507
19 Century Romantics > Classical Music

He's not talking about the Classical period, he's talking about Western art music, more commonly known as classical music.

Oh, and 20th century > Romantic period.
I really like classical music. But it's really hard to find as I only know of Bach, Beethoven, the popular ones. If I had a bigger list of composers I'd listen to it a lot more
Quote by i_killed_bill
I really like classical music. But it's really hard to find as I only know of Bach, Beethoven, the popular ones. If I had a bigger list of composers I'd listen to it a lot more

Most of the composers named in this thread are good bets.
Quote by Holy Katana
Most of the composers named in this thread are good bets.

Yeah, I'm looking em up right now. Thanks for your huge list
I also recommend Mike Oldfield's Music Of The Spheres, incredible album.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by i_killed_bill
Yeah, I'm looking em up right now. Thanks for your huge list

Stay away from Schoenberg, Berg, or Messiaen if you don't like dissonance. They're great composers, but they aren't exactly beginner material.
Quote by Mr. Parker
Only the baby mozart, bach, beethoven collections with my baby.
I thought I was the only one, I feel better now. Got some CD from a formula company when my first kid was a baby, and to this day it's still the best mix of classical music I've been able to find.
E-Father to itorch, Andrea55, guitarxo and BlessedRebel15
E-Grandpa to Basti95, davrockist, KitKat555, Mark Roxx, Renegade_Lobo
E-Bro to slash_GNR666
I blog...

Quote by Andrea55

I do Music 2 at school (NSW high school music students will know what I'm talking about) which is based on classical music, as opposed to Music 1 which is based on more modern music.

I don't mind classical, but I'd rather listen to rock 'n' roll. For example, Mozart is my sleeping pill: I fall asleep as soon as Mozart is played at a concert or through speakers. I dunno why, it's just mind-numbingly boring to me I guess.
I listen to it for the ladies.

You have no idea of the amount of girls who find a guy who's into classical music incredibly sexy!!

But my absolute favourite composers are tchaikovsky and beethoven. I like most Romantic (period) classical music.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
I got into classical music through neo-classical as well, though now i realize that there's a massive difference between them, at the time it was curiosity. Anyways, my favorite composers are: beethoven, paganini, chopin, liszt, bach, tchaikovsky, vivaldi and mozart . I do admit that I don't have too much of an idea about this, because my knowledge goes as far as the names i commonly hear. I do know the artistic periods and movements which composers were influenced by but only because I took AP European history and it was part of the course material. I'm currently googling the names Holy Katana typed.
Quote by i_killed_bill

Faure's Requiem. Everyone should listen to it
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ