Page 1 of 2
back when I started playing guitar 10 months ago, I was looking around for a nice amp to buy, this guy named Chris at the GC in atlanta was all like "HEY MAN!!!! Check out this cool amp called line 6, its got like a crunch channel, clean, INSANO CHANNEL WOO, and guess what you can tap the delay button for extra DELAY!!!! O MAN AND YOU CAN SAVE SETTING!!! WHAT A STEAL, wanna buy it for $75?"

I got duped...now im thinking of selling it on craigslist after visiting the forums here....

You're thinking of selling it because of what other people, you've never met, said about it, not how YOU actually feel about it?
Yes, I'm from California, yes I like Hockey, no I do not like the Ducks, yes I like the Kings!
you only paid 75 dollars for it and your complaining?

I think its well worth $75.

Its a decent starter amp, now invest in somthing a little better and dont complain.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
if YOU like it dont sell it , its not what other people think that matters, if you like it you shouldnt care what other people say
Gear :
strat copy (SD Hotrails in bridge, Lil' 59 in Neck)
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Pitchblack/SHO Clone/Morley PWA wah
really its not that bad? I saw something about REAL tone in some threads, and started wondering if I had been practicing on a wrong amp.

Hey another questions guys, what do you guys think about this deal?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/msg/1352168425.html

I have a Epiphone Les Paul Std Cherry Sunburst, which i bought for $550 at GC, should I return it and get this axe?
Yeah dude, UG is like the where all the spider 3 haters gather to hate on the spider 3 like thier part of some kind of underground organization that is out to destroy the company.

Sure, they arent the best sounding amps ever, but I dont think thier bad. I fooled around with my roomates forever and I always really like it.

I'd rather sacrifice a little bit of sound quality to get a whole jumbaliya of effects and presets that I'd have to pay enormous amounts of money for otherwise.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
If you bought a guitar for $550 and are considering taking it back and getting a $200, I advise against it.

I'd just work to somhow get that $200 and that way you get to keep your first guitar.

No matter how crappy it is, I dont think anyone should ever get rid of thier firsty!
Don't sell your amp if you like it. I don't think Spider III amplifiers are great, but they're not bad at all especially for beginners. The Les Paul in the link you posted seems pretty good, but 200$ seems way to cheap so you can't be sure it's in good condition. Still 200$ is still a bargain for a Les Paul Goldtop. Keep your first guitar if you think you're going to use it or if it has sentimental value to you, and save up 200$ to get the Gibson.
yes my first guitar i saved up about $500 bought a epiphone ebony les paul, then returned it and got a epi les paul std cherry sunburst for $550

I love my first guitar

Its got ernie ball hybrid slinky strings, sounds good to me

im playing the line 6 spider III amp right not, its kind of hard to get a right tone out of it, but its a good practice amp
If you can't tell the quality of the tone yourself, you shouldn't be upgrading.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
If I can offer any advice to anyone, anywhere, at any time, it would be -- Make up your own mind.

Spiders a fine amps that have a s-ton of functionality. They arent great live, when you get the volume knob up to 12 o clock or so, but they were never built for that. But you could use it for that, and I could care less, along with about ten million other people or so. Nobody's really cares, at least not the ones that matter.

Your fingers and your soul define your tone. No one's online ear can hear it, let alone judge it.

Rock on. I use mine for band practice, and it does just fine. When I stepped of the stage this friday, no one cared about what my practice amp was, or asked me why I use a Frontman stack. They told me how much fun they had. I told them how much fun I had.

Dont let rock pass you by, spend time playing, not turning knobs and ear-gasming over your tone. It's f***ing Rock and Roll for pete's sake!

Rock on Brother!
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Last edited by Jonny Ryan Mac at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
If you can't tell the quality of the tone yourself, you shouldn't be upgrading.

+1 i didn't realize how bad my tone was on my old amps until i played some better ones, then i figured out i couldnt afford those haha (6505/5150 Half Stack, Marshall JCM 800) so i compromised and got the best modelling amp imo for under $300 and it sounds ok haha, good for the price
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
Quote by blenk
if YOU like it dont sell it , its not what other people think that matters, if you like it you shouldnt care what other people say

+1
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
That's actually not a bad price. I had to pay £150 for mine, and I was tricked as well.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
question, has anyone ever used the "hidden" distortion boost on the line 6 spider III 15W?

I just found out about it today after 10 months

Does it work or was I better just not knowing about it?
Quote by Heathbb
question, has anyone ever used the "hidden" distortion boost on the line 6 spider III 15W?

I just found out about it today after 10 months

Does it work or was I better just not knowing about it?

It's pretty much useless and when it's on, it sucks.
I don't like my amp, so I am going to buy a new guitar?"

WTF?

Anyways, yeah its a little digital sounding to my ears, but I know people that are happy with them. I am not sure why GC can't push Vypyrs and Bandits, versus Spider and MG...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
$75 is a great price for an amp that is, essentially, a beginner's practice amp.

Which is what you want, being a beginner, and practicing.
Actually it will do for a non-beginner too for practice. It's practice - your tone doesn't need to be bang on.

However, the time will come when you want to either gig or upgrade.
It'll do until then.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by Dr. B
$75 is a great price for an amp that is, essentially, a beginner's practice amp.

Which is what you want, being a beginner, and practicing.
Actually it will do for a non-beginner too for practice. It's practice - your tone doesn't need to be bang on.

However, the time will come when you want to either gig or upgrade.
It'll do until then.

it has been a great practice amp, its just ive kind of wised up from UG and learned about tube amps, and well i want to meddle with EQs and get a personal tone of my own.

There does seem to be alot of hate toward the Spider III 15W though, i dont know if that hate is justified or just eccentric
I have a Roland Microcube for practice, but before that I had a Spider 30W.

Microcube is utterly useless for rehearsal or gigging but fits down the side of my settee and sounds decent at very quiet volumes.

If the Spider had been smaller I would have kept it.
It was decent for living room practice at low volumes.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
i modded a spider for a friend once, basically he asked me to remove the effects and connect the preamp straight to the power amp then into the speaker. it really didnt sound any better, no cleans at all.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Heathbb
really its not that bad? I saw something about REAL tone in some threads, and started wondering if I had been practicing on a wrong amp.

Hey another questions guys, what do you guys think about this deal?

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/msg/1352168425.html

I have a Epiphone Les Paul Std Cherry Sunburst, which i bought for $550 at GC, should I return it and get this axe?

don't do it, it's the exact same guitar you have, it's another les paul standard, you'd get a new color and that's it..
I don't even think that epiphone is real. It doesn't show the headstock
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by Heathbb
it has been a great practice amp, its just ive kind of wised up from UG and learned about tube amps, and well i want to meddle with EQs and get a personal tone of my own.

There does seem to be alot of hate toward the Spider III 15W though, i dont know if that hate is justified or just eccentric

It is a fine practice amp. That's all.

Just about everyone has either owned one or played one.

They tend to sound a bit digital, like a computer, so as you grow as a guitarist you will soon crave your own tone and will start searching for a new amp (opinion)

We see a lot of threads by people that have had mechanical or electrical issues with their Spiders - and unfortunately, there is just not a lot you can do outside of exercising your warranty.

A lot of the hate also comes from the fact that people buy the bigger higher wattage Spiders to jam or gig with and their tone is just not that good.

Related to that is the fact that Guitar Center does push this amp too much imo.

Just trying to state facts.

If you are interested in a new amp, we can help you.
it's a good first amp, come on for $75 you can't complain, it gives you something to practice on and can get some decent sound's after some fooling around with it....

you'd have to be insane for your first amp to be really anything more expensive then about $150 seeing as most people will quit after a month....after your sure you'll stick with it, get something better, that's what i did. got the line 6 15 because it was cheap and would give me an idea of if i wanted to stick with it...and once i played for a few month's and fell in love with guitar, i bought something better.....

people complain about the line 6, but for the price i mean, you really can't complain. sure it won't sound as good as a tube amp, but what tube amp are you going to get for $75 buck's with effects built in that will at least get your feet wet with different stuff...

i still have mine, even after i bought my tube half stack and still use it when i a big tube half stack won't do (like 3 in the morning)
Last edited by camaross427 at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by herman ri2
You're the idiot that bought it and fell for it. You weren't duped into anything because if you had some intelligence you would of tried it out first. I can bet your reason for telling us this is because you want to get on the Spider hating bandwagon. What does that do for you? Nothing except show that you can't think for yourself.

If you had any intelligence you'd know it is 'would have,' not 'would of.' Did you come out of the womb with good ear for tone? I don't think so, he probably did play it and just didn't know what he was looking for. Don't be so condescending to someone who is obviously pretty new to this stuff. I'm tired of the 'spider hating bandwagon hating bandwagon.' Some people truly do realize after a few months that they don't like their spider, get over it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Honestely though, what was he duped out of? what else was so great on the market he could have bought for $75? Not much
Quote by tubetime86
If you had any intelligence you'd know it is 'would have,' not 'would of.'Did you come out of the womb with good ear for tone? I don't think so, he probably did play it and just didn't know what he was looking for. Don't be so condescending to someone who is obviously pretty new to this stuff. I'm tired of the 'spider hating bandwagon hating bandwagon.' Some people truly do realize after a few months that they don't like their spider, get over it.

Wow! You just corrected a person with dyslexia. I hope that you feel a bit of accomplishment on your part. Ignorance is bliss, isn't it?

Most people on this site just hate the Spider series because it is the cool thing to do. It is clear that the kid seen that everyone on the site hates them with a passion so he feels the need to join in. I can bet you any money if you ask him why he hates it, he couldn't give you a straight answer.
Quote by herman ri2
Wow! You just corrected a person with dyslexia. I hope that you feel a bit of accomplishment on your part. Ignorance is bliss, isn't it?

Most people on this site just hate the Spider series because it is the cool thing to do. It is clear that the kid seen that everyone on the site hates them with a passion so he feels the need to join in. I can bet you any money if you ask him why he hates it, he couldn't give you a straight answer.

That error has nothing to do with dyslexia, it is a common misconception caused by people who say it more often than writing it... But who cares, I was just saying don't insult a person's intelligence and then make a common mistake like that.

I agree that a lot of people hate Spiders just because UG does, but UG does for a reason; they sound terrible. So you may be right, he may just want to sell it because we said it sucks. Or you may be wrong, he may have played a friends amp and realized he preferred that sound to his Spider. With the information he has provided we just don't know.

I'm not saying you aren't correct, I'm just saying you are making some assumptions and using those assumptions to say the TS is an idiot, and not worth our time. That is not the point of UG. Let's offer him some help, and hope he uses it wisely, if not that's his loss not ours.

TS: Follow your ears, if you buy a new amp too soon, before your ear develops, you'll be in the same boat again in 3 months. Take your time, play as many amps as you can and decide what you like. Don't read reviews for anything but reliability, tone is too subjective to decide based on a review.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by herman ri2

I'm pretty sure dyslexia has nothing to do with bad grammar.
Although I do agree with you, it's just a bunch of elitists, the same type of people who look down on Epi owners as compared to Gibson owners etc. It doesn't matter what gear you have, its what you do with it.
Theres nothing wrong with a Spider III 15W as a practice amp.. That is the one thing a spider is actually decent at.

Most of the Spider hate is geared toward the 100+ watt amps that are just over blown practice amps used as money makers because people buy them like hot cakes. Which is straight up supply and demand. If no one liked them or wanted them then they wouldnt sell them. You want spiders off the market stop buying them plain and simple.

As for being dupped/conned into buying something. If you have access to the internet you have the means to get the info and research the product before you even see it in person. Also out of any retail store on the planet GC is the last place you should be able to get dupped at. You have the ability to test out anything in there. So how can someone con you into getting something. If you bought it you probably liked it so whos to blame... I can give you a hint its not the salesman.
Quote by tubetime86
That error has nothing to do with dyslexia, it is a common misconception caused by people who say it more often than writing it... But who cares, I was just saying don't insult a person's intelligence and then make a common mistake like that.

I agree that a lot of people hate Spiders just because UG does, but UG does for a reason; they sound terrible. So you may be right, he may just want to sell it because we said it sucks. Or you may be wrong, he may have played a friends amp and realized he preferred that sound to his Spider. With the information he has provided we just don't know.

I'm not saying you aren't correct, I'm just saying you are making some assumptions and using those assumptions to say the TS is an idiot, and not worth our time. That is not the point of UG. Let's offer him some help, and hope he uses it wisely, if not that's his loss not ours.

TS: Follow your ears, if you buy a new amp too soon, before your ear develops, you'll be in the same boat again in 3 months. Take your time, play as many amps as you can and decide what you like. Don't read reviews for anything but reliability, tone is too subjective to decide based on a review.

Different types of dyslexia, my friend. Look it up on wiki and educate yourself about it. There is even dyslexia with numbers. I have a bad case of dyslexia because I can easily mix up words like 'point' into 'pink' and trust me, it sucks because you get made fun of all the time on forums and in personal. I have a VERY hard time pointing out mistakes and correcting them. All I'm saying is try to be more tolerant towards others problems.
Quote by NecroMaster
I'm pretty sure dyslexia has nothing to do with bad grammar.
Although I do agree with you, it's just a bunch of elitists, the same type of people who look down on Epi owners as compared to Gibson owners etc. It doesn't matter what gear you have, its what you do with it.

That is incorrect. There are many types of dyslexia and most of them can alter your grammar, writing skills, and even vision. There is even dyslexia with numbers, words, and some even with pictures of images.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyslexia
Last edited by herman ri2 at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by RHCPFitz
they are fun amps, i like them
+1

Your entire career as a guitarist shouldn't be a non-stop tone battle. I like playing through them just because the massive amount of gain makes me feel fucking awesome.

Yes, the tone sucks, but its not like they are unplayable. Just suck it up until you get some money and stop bitching to us.
Quote by Bottle of Dirt
You're thinking of selling it because of what other people, you've never met, said about it, not how YOU actually feel about it?

True, some people on here are idiots (60% of them are)

I have a Marshall DSL 50 and some people say it's junk (which it isn't!)
Some people are just bad,
Ask your teacher how it sounds if you have one. if not, see how much you like compared to other amps in that price range.

I have a line 6 spider and it is good.
Apple Macintosh

Fender Stratocaster Highway one HSS USA

Marshall DSL50 British green
Page 1 of 2