I know there are lot of topics about sweeping but i wanted t discuss s single issue. I'v been practicing that minor arpeggio position where i believe you start at the root on the 5th string. You play two notes on the fifth string and then you sweep the next two strings that are in the same fret. I quess this is where you "roll" Your finger.

Well i was wondering how you would know when you were playing it an practicing it correctly. I know it will sound good but since practice tends to make permanent, i want to be sure i'm doing it right. Sometimes it seems easier, for this type of arpeggio, if i bar both notes. But after i play the first one i raise that part of my finger to mute the note and then just play the other barred note clean. But i was wondering if u are supposed to only fret one not, mute it, and than roll to the next note? I not sure.

And 3 strings seems almost impossible. It's like my finger can fret a not cleanly after already play two. Ecspecially my third finger
Barring is the best way to play a sweep where several notes fall on the same fret. You can play each note with a different finger, but I personally think it's that the rolling technique is easier and achieves the same results with proper practice. As long as you're not getting noise from the strings, then you're doing it properly. Since you have a problem with 3-string arpeggios, I would suggest you get a metronome and start practicing them slowly. If you're technique is clean when playing slow, you're speed will develop with clarity.
Quote by Amer91
Barring is the best way to play a sweep where several notes fall on the same fret. You can play each note with a different finger, but I personally think it's that the rolling technique is easier and achieves the same results with proper practice. As long as you're not getting noise from the strings, then you're doing it properly. Since you have a problem with 3-string arpeggios, I would suggest you get a metronome and start practicing them slowly. If you're technique is clean when playing slow, you're speed will develop with clarity.

I do practice with the metronome i'm just not sure i can do it properly even slowly. So barring means fretting the notes of an arpeggio in the same fret but than lifting slightly to play the next note? I'm just a bit confused. Are you supposed to actually fret and hold down all the notes before you sweep them? And after you play the first barred note you raise your finger slightly so the note doesn't ring with the next barred note?
I wasn't supposed to say barring, I meant rolling, which is like barring except you don't fret the notes simultaneously. The way described it is correct, you're supposed to fret the first note, then lift your finger off that note to mute it and fret the next note. You're not supposed hold down all the notes before doing a sweep. Use your right hand to play the notes lower than than the next note you're going to play.
Last edited by Amer91 at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by SaturationPoint
Rolling 3 seems so hard. like there's not enough flexibility in my finger.

There are no 'hard' things about playing guitar. Just things you haven't practiced enough yet.