Page 1 of 2
I have been penny pinching for the recession long enough!

I am looking to get a new guitar for shredding. Mostly metal or some 80s.

Which do you guys like?

The Jackson Warrior WR-1 in this snakeskin is just hot:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-WR1-WR-1-Warrior-Copperhead-Snakeskin_W0QQitemZ110384242353QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item19b369deb1&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

.. and the Jem we all know and love:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-JEM77V-JEM-Steve-Vai-Signature-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ300330623667QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item45ed19a2b3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus w/ '60s neck
Ibanez JEM 7V
Jackson SL2H Soloist
PRS Singlecut SE
Marshall JVM410h
Marshall 1960a 4x12
Line 6 Pod x3 Live
If it was me I'd chose the Jackson because its not a sig. guitar.

But the Jem is more of a shredder guitar than the Jackson.
The JEM without a second though. Nothing is better to shred on than a JEM. Get a white one though.
of those two? JEM (mind you, I'm an Ibanez fanboy so you can disregard this if you want)
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
I vote for the Jackson, although I'm partial to the WR1 since I just ordered one in early August.

However, there are good reasons for this:

1. Jackson IMO builds superior guitars to Ibanez in terms of build quality and attention to detail.
2. Neck-through construction vs. bolt-on will give at least 1-2 seconds more sustain which really makes a difference.
3. Alder is a higher end wood than Basswood.
4. Ebony is higher end and IMO plays better than Rosewood on a fingerboard.
5. Quartersawn maple neck vs. plain or rift sawn is a much more expensive cut of wood, resists warping, wears less, etc.
6. Original Floyd Rose beats an Edge Pro, no contest.
7. Personally I don't like single pickups in the middle position as it interferes with picking.
8. The Warrior body style is unique, awesome looking and plain cool. The only thing unique looks-wise about the JEM is the finger cutout, otherwise it's a standard strat-style shape.
9. Mother of Pearl sharkfin inlays are among the coolest looking inlays out there and IMO beat out those flowery, feminine vine inlays on the JEM hands down.

I could go on and on....
Quote by Adrian89
the snakeskin finish is sexy...

Definitely... IMO the regular snakeskin is superior to the copper snakeskin:

It's actually hard to find a decent pic of a snakeskin WR1!

Here's a good example of regular snakeskin:

What I like is that the back of the neck along with the whole back of the guitar are hand painted as well... seems like you get your money's worth.
Quote by ominous24
I have been penny pinching for the recession long enough!

I am looking to get a new guitar for shredding. Mostly metal or some 80s.

Which do you guys like?

The Jackson Warrior WR-1 in this snakeskin is just hot:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-WR1-WR-1-Warrior-Copperhead-Snakeskin_W0QQitemZ110384242353QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item19b369deb1&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

.. and the Jem we all know and love:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-JEM77V-JEM-Steve-Vai-Signature-Electric-Guitar_W0QQitemZ300330623667QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item45ed19a2b3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Screw it for that much, Get the John Petrucci Sig... best shred guitar for the best shredder... heh heh shredder cheese...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by degradated
I vote for the Jackson, although I'm partial to the WR1 since I just ordered one in early August.

1. Jackson IMO builds superior guitars to Ibanez in terms of build quality and attention to detail.
2. Neck-through construction vs. bolt-on will give at least 1-2 seconds more sustain which really makes a difference.

5. Quartersawn maple neck vs. plain or rift sawn is a much more expensive cut of wood, resists warping, wears less, etc.
7. Personally I don't like single pickups in the middle position as it interferes with picking.
8. The Warrior body style is unique, awesome looking and plain cool. The only thing unique looks-wise about the JEM is the finger cutout, otherwise it's a standard strat-style shape.
9. Mother of Pearl sharkfin inlays are among the coolest looking inlays out there and IMO beat out those flowery, feminine vine inlays on the JEM hands down.

I could go on and on....

Incorrect,

Alder is in no way superior to Basswood as there is different grades, cheaper grades of Basswood are of course inferior but if you honestly believe the quality is going to be bad on a guitar of this price, you are sadly mistaken. Basswood doesn't stack to one side of the tonal spectrum making for a versatile guitar. The Ebony and Rosewood argument can also take points from what was said regarding Alder and Basswood but for the most part comes with personal preference. You need to try them both out.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Satin
Fender 72' Thinline Telecaster
Fender Am Telecaster
Bad Cat HotCat 30R

Korg Pitchblack
Xotic BB Preamp
TC Flashback X4
Strymon Timeline
EHX POG 2
JHS Double Barrel
I say jackson...that thing screams 80's metal like no other (except maybe a RG550 in Roadflare Red )
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
I think the JEM would suit your shredding needs better, but it is a sig model so a lot of people will call you a tool. Is there not a non sig Ibanez that you could get instead?

They are both good guitars and fast playing should work well with both of them. Personally with guitars in the price range I think it comes down to preference and image. both will serve you very well, but the warrior screams brutal metal whereas the JEM is a much more elegant beast.

Again, what kind of image do you want to convey?
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
Quote by degradated

I could go on and on....

2. Wrong, proper bolt- on provides more sustain than any other neck joint.
3. Wrong, no wood is of higher end than other.
4. Wrong, look above
6. That's also not true, it is a matter of preference. For instance, I find my OFR to be a bit to stiff compared to smoothness of my edge pro, and I don't need to cut the ball of the strings with my OFR. Both provide great tuning stability.
Quote by oz_bassist
Incorrect,

Alder is in no way superior to Basswood as there is different grades, cheaper grades of Basswood are of course inferior but if you honestly believe the quality is going to be bad on a guitar of this price, you are sadly mistaken. Basswood doesn't stack to one side of the tonal spectrum making for a versatile guitar. The Ebony and Rosewood argument can also take points from what was said regarding Alder and Basswood but for the most part comes with personal preference. You need to try them both out.

He he... I'll take it easy on you since you're just a high school student. Am I incorrect? No... You might want to check out this article - quite a bit of info you can learn here about different woods:

Wood Guide

Here's an excerpt about Alder:

"We find that alder has the richest tone, characterized by lots of fat low-end, well defined mid ranges and a lot of sustain. Alder is a light wood, which makes it more comfortable for lengthy gigs. It is one of the original woods used for solid body guitars. Although other manufacturers use woods like poplar and basswood, they are considered alder substitutes."

And here's an excerpt from an article about Ebony vs. Rosewood fingerboards:

"Ebony is a great wood for fingerboards. It costs about 11 times as much as Rosewood but on many guitars I like it better. There are only a couple of exceptions."

Those guys have been building guitars for more than 30 years and know what the hell they're talking about. I've been playing guitar and trying different combinations of woods for more than 15 years now, so it's nothing new to me either.
Quote by r4ster
2. Wrong, proper bolt- on provides more sustain than any other neck joint.
3. Wrong, no wood is of higher end than other.
4. Wrong, look above
6. That's also not true, it is a matter of preference. For instance, I find my OFR to be a bit to stiff compared to smoothness of my edge pro, and I don't need to cut the ball of the strings with my OFR. Both provide great tuning stability.

LOL.... where do you get your info? I beg to differ.

No wood is of higher end than other?? LOL

And where have you heard that bolt-on provides the most sustain of any neck joint?
Quote by degradated
He he... I'll take it easy on you since you're just a high school student. Am I incorrect? No... You might want to check out this article - quite a bit of info you can learn here about different woods:

Wood Guide

Here's an excerpt about Alder:

"We find that alder has the richest tone, characterized by lots of fat low-end, well defined mid ranges and a lot of sustain. Alder is a light wood, which makes it more comfortable for lengthy gigs. It is one of the original woods used for solid body guitars. Although other manufacturers use woods like poplar and basswood, they are considered alder substitutes."

And here's an excerpt from an article about Ebony vs. Rosewood fingerboards:

"Ebony is a great wood for fingerboards. It costs about 11 times as much as Rosewood but on many guitars I like it better. There are only a couple of exceptions."

Those guys have been building guitars for more than 30 years and know what the hell they're talking about. I've been playing guitar and trying different combinations of woods for more than 15 years now, so it's nothing new to me either.

Hmmm...another condescending douchebag in a "(insert guitar material here) is better" argument.

The part about Ebony is clearly an opinion. "but on many guitars I like it better" HE likes it better, which doesn't make it better, it just makes it better to HIM. Fretboard wood is all about feel.

And as far as body wood..if you use high grades of any wood, no wood is better than another, its all about the tone you are going for.

EDIT:
Quote by degradated
And where have you heard that bolt-on provides the most sustain of any neck joint?

its common knowledge...just apply the laws of physics

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

Last edited by Metlhead443 at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by degradated

I could go on and on....

Oh, I forgot to mention the greatest difference between the two - one is made in the USA while the other is made in Japan. Granted, Japan makes great stuff, but the price should be a lot less.
Quote by degradated
Oh, I forgot to mention the greatest difference between the two - one is made in the USA while the other is made in Japan. Granted, Japan makes great stuff, but the price should be a lot less.

Seriously? Just quit now, you're continuing to look like an idiot.

there's hundreds of MIJ guitars I'd prefer over MIA. For the most part (at least in metal guitars) more players play Ibanez and ESP (MIJ) than Jackson (MIA).

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

Quote by Metlhead443
Hmmm...another condescending douchebag in a "(insert guitar material here) is better" argument.

The part about Ebony is clearly an opinion. "but on many guitars I like it better" HE likes it better, which doesn't make it better, it just makes it better to HIM. Fretboard wood is all about feel.

And as far as body wood..if you use high grades of any wood, no wood is better than another, its all about the tone you are going for.

EDIT:

its common knowledge...just apply the laws of physics

Did I say anything to deserve to be called a condescending douchebag? No... Just trying to help here.

By better, I mean - a more expensive cut of wood.

I guess that's what I should expect when dealing with a bunch of teenagers.
Quote by degradated
Did I say anything to deserve to be called a condescending douchebag? No... Just trying to help here.

By better, I mean - a more expensive cut of wood.

I guess that's what I should expect when dealing with a bunch of teenagers.

Do you know the meaning of condescending?

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

Quote by Metlhead443
Seriously? Just quit now, you're continuing to look like an idiot.

there's hundreds of MIJ guitars I'd prefer over MIA. For the most part (at least in metal guitars) more players play Ibanez and ESP (MIJ) than Jackson (MIA).

Who cares what you prefer and what most players play? Years ago everyone was playing Jackson. But now ESP and Ibanez are signing more endorsements and giving away the free stuff. That doesn't mean that they're better. And that's not what sells me on a product, but maybe others are fooled easier.
well lets just say for my personal preference I preffer the jackson soloist over any ibanez because of the ebony board and neckthrough heel-less design. the neckthrough ibanez guitars (around $600 used) are hard to find but they are sweet. no sustain on a neckthrough ibanez through. the neck is too thin and the wood is less dense. I know this for a fact cause I build guitars and sell guitars for my day job. I played them all. and on a side note. the EBMM petrucci ($1575) is one sweeeet geetar. the attention to detail and the sound. totally nailed his sound. petrucci wins if you can afford it. also check the new EVH EVH ($3000) or the jackson soloist ($1800).
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by degradated

It's true, though the difference cannot be heard by human ears. In reality it's purely preference.
Quote by degradated
Who cares what you prefer and what most players play? Years ago everyone was playing Jackson. But now ESP and Ibanez are signing more endorsements and giving away the free stuff. That doesn't mean that they're better. And that's not what sells me on a product, but maybe others are fooled easier.

Riiiighttt, so you have a better picture of what a good guitar is than a professional musician who needs the right guitar for what they do

Everyone played Jackson because they were THE 80's guitar. We're in a new age of metal, where, despite my love of Jackson, they're just not competing with the others. Frankly, you've shown me that you are a complete idiot, and are competing with Ed Roman for most elitist attitude I've ever seen

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

degradated, you linked us Ed Roman's site, your argument is now invalid

Speaking of that douche Ed Roman, he'll b*tch and whine about everything especially import guitars then go right ahead and copy their designs. What he's doing to old Kramer's really pisses me off. He bought a bunch of bodies and neck's from the fire sale when the company went tits up back in the early 90's and is now trying to sell them, over priced as legit Kramers when they are really mutts. Also, if poplar is crap then why is he selling 80's poplar bodied Kramer Pacers in his site? I have an '83 Kramer Pacer Special (the coveted B-series) that's a poplar body and it smokes.

If you wanna start a debate its fine, everyone is welcome to state their opinion and you're more then entitled to speak your mind freely that's what this site is about but please for f*ck sakes next time don't link Ed Roman's site cause your credibility will go down the drain.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by Metlhead443
Riiiighttt, so you have a better picture of what a good guitar is than a professional musician who needs the right guitar for what they do

Everyone played Jackson because they were THE 80's guitar. We're in a new age of metal, where, despite my love of Jackson, they're just not competing with the others. Frankly, you've shown me that you are a complete idiot, and are competing with Ed Roman for most elitist attitude I've ever seen

Thanks for the attitude and namecalling again.... totally unnecessary! Did you get a gerbil jammed up your ass today or something?

Try to remain friendly, and those around you will be friendly in return.
Quote by DSOTM80
degradated, you linked us Ed Roman's site, your argument is now invalid

Speaking of that douche Ed Roman, he'll b*tch and whine about everything especially import guitars then go right ahead and copy their designs. What he's doing to old Kramer's really pisses me off. He bought a bunch of bodies and neck's from the fire sale when the company went tits up back in the early 90's and is now trying to sell them, over priced as legit Kramers when they are really mutts. Also, if poplar is crap then why is he selling 80's poplar bodied Kramer Pacers in his site? I have an '83 Kramer Pacer Special (the coveted B-series) that's a poplar body and it smokes.

If you wanna start a debate its fine, everyone is welcome to state their opinion and you're more then entitled to speak your mind freely that's what this site is about but please for f*ck sakes next time don't link Ed Roman's site cause your credibility will go down the drain.

Gotcha - didn't realize that this forum was an Ed Roman hater. I'm personally not on board with him 100%, but as far as technical info they are a great resource, IMO.
Quote by degradated
Thanks for the attitude and namecalling again.... totally unnecessary! Did you get a gerbil jammed up your ass today or something?

Try to remain friendly, and those around you will be friendly in return.

I would have been friendly, but the moment someone called you out, you immediately went to the classic "im older, therefore I MUST be smarter than you" defense. You've stated no reliable sources in these arguments (Ed Roman...what a joke), you've just said a bunch of opinions from either yourself or an angry little leprechaun in Vegas. And Im pretty sure "gerbil up the ass" is a lot more unnecessary than "idiot". Pretty weak man.

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

lets not make this another ed roman hate thread. some have been screwed over and others have had very positive experiences. I never met the guy so my mouth is shut. back to the OP please.
Quote by BigDC
Quote by Gibshall
Hey its ok, but speaking of Ed's wood resources on his page I honestly thing he copy pasted all that wood info from someone else. He really is hated in a lot of places, a lot of forums, not just online too. I think EB/MusicMan sued him a few months back. Not sure how it all turned out. I've looked at his site many times and personally I just don't get his guitar designs. To me it looks over done, kinda like guitar drag queens but then again I like my guitars simple.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by Metlhead443
I would have been friendly, but the moment someone called you out, you immediately went to the classic "im older, therefore I MUST be smarter than you" defense. You've stated no reliable sources in these arguments (Ed Roman...what a joke), you've just said a bunch of opinions from either yourself or an angry little leprechaun in Vegas. And Im pretty sure "gerbil up the ass" is a lot more unnecessary than "idiot". Pretty weak man.

That's not how I intended to come off, but I realize that it might have offended you, so I apologize.

I've been the only one to state sources. Whether or not they are credible, people have challenged me with no other sources of info to make a proper argument. I don't know anyone on here, so just because someone chimes in and says "bolt-on's provide more sustain", doesn't count as a credible source of info to me. If I'm wrong and you can provide good information to support that, I am all ears and welcome it with open arms, because I'm always interested in learning something new.
Quote by DSOTM80
Hey its ok, but speaking of Ed's wood resources on his page I honestly thing he copy pasted all that wood info from someone else. He really is hated in a lot of places, a lot of forums, not just online too. I think EB/MusicMan sued him a few months back. Not sure how it all turned out. I've looked at his site many times and personally I just don't get his guitar designs. To me it looks over done, kinda like guitar drag queens but then again I like my guitars simple.

Good to know, thanks.

I'm pretty sure he is hated by guitar companies because he tells it like it is. He had to take down info off his site, but at one point I believe he had more than 50 major guitar companies listed who he had Ghostbuilt guitars for in the past - info that was supposed to be kept under wraps.
did he also list the guitars he made unlicensed copies of? ok now I'm getting on the hate wagon. but we need to help this kid find his next shred guitar remember?
Quote by BigDC
Quote by Gibshall
Quote by degradated
That's not how I intended to come off, but I realize that it might have offended you, so I apologize.

I've been the only one to state sources. Whether or not they are credible, people have challenged me with no other sources of info to make a proper argument. I don't know anyone on here, so just because someone chimes in and says "bolt-on's provide more sustain", doesn't count as a credible source of info to me. If I'm wrong and you can provide good information to support that, I am all ears and welcome it with open arms, because I'm always interested in learning something new.

Alright, this is taking a step in the right direction.

Sadly, i cannot for the life of me remember the article that someone posted here a while back that told of it, but I can tell you what it said in a nut shell.

It basically explained that based on physics and the properties of the different materials used for the different neck joints. Metal is a better medium than the glue used for set neck/neckthru for the vibrations to travel through, and if the bolt on is done correctly, the joint will have the most wood-wood contact and the the aforementioned bolts would help as well. Neckthru gives the illusion of more sustain because the pups are mounted into the same piece of wood as the neck, so it does help increase sustain, but not quite as much as a bolt-on. The difference is negligible because it can't be heard by human ears, but it is there.

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

Of course bolt on's provide more sustain. There is more direct wood on wood contact, so less sound is loss through that layer of glue.
However, most neckthrough's use a maple neck, and maple has quite a lot of sustain, usually quite a bit more than other woods, like mahogany and especially basswood. That's why some people think neckthrough's have more sustain.
Basically, a bolt on maple neck in a maple body will have more sustain then a maple neckthrough in a maple body. However, the difference is too little to hear, so there's no use arguing.
Secondly, basswood is a perfectly fine wood. There's a reason its used on just about every Ibanez, and that is that its tone is great for shred. Lots of high end, not a whole lot of bass (Ironically) to get in the way.
Thirdly, about the ebony vs rosewood. Both are great. Ebony is stiffer, so I guess you could say its better, but there really isn't too much of a difference besides looks. And you shouldn't even be feeling the fretboard when you play, so whether its slicker or not doesn't matter.
Fourthly, quartersawn does not cost much more. It costs a bit more, but not much. But yes, it does resist natural warping, so in that sense you were correct.
Fifthly, don't go telling people to not be condescending and insulting, and then turn around to do the same. It doesn't look good.
Sixthly, its not a good idea to go into a forum of teenagers, and tell them they're all idiots for being teenagers. Teenagers, as we all know, get really angsty and then pissy, and then they sissy fight you over the internet.
Oh yeah, and Ed Roman is hardly a credible source.

Back on topic: TS, I'd rather have the Jackson solely for the reason that I like Jackson necks more than Ibanez. Both guitars have incredible construction, hardware, and sound. It all depends on which one you like more.
Quote by Metlhead443
Alright, this is taking a step in the right direction.

Sadly, i cannot for the life of me remember the article that someone posted here a while back that told of it, but I can tell you what it said in a nut shell.

It basically explained that based on physics and the properties of the different materials used for the different neck joints. Metal is a better medium than the glue used for set neck/neckthru for the vibrations to travel through, and if the bolt on is done correctly, the joint will have the most wood-wood contact and the the aforementioned bolts would help as well. Neckthru gives the illusion of more sustain because the pups are mounted into the same piece of wood as the neck, so it does help increase sustain, but not quite as much as a bolt-on. The difference is negligible because it can't be heard by human ears, but it is there.

Interesting... I'd like to see that article. Maybe I can find it in a search. I'm still not sold, though.

Maybe it's due to other factors, but both of my neck through guitars sustain notes 1-3 seconds longer than my bolt-on guitars. I've literally timed when the note died out with a stopwatch. Granted, there are too many other factors to consider like pickups, wood types, etc., but I find it compelling that 2 out of 7 of my guitars that have the greatest sustain happen to be neck-through and the rest are bolt-ons. Maybe it's just coincidence...
jackson neckthrough vs ibanez neckthrough FIGHT
ROUND 1
the ibanez sounds thin and dead
ROUND 2
the ibanex does not have the sustain that the jackson has
ROUND 3
the ibanez neck is actually too thin for me.

jackson wins by a knockout.
Quote by BigDC
Quote by Gibshall
Quote by degradated
Interesting... I'd like to see that article. Maybe I can find it in a search. I'm still not sold, though.

Maybe it's due to other factors, but both of my neck through guitars sustain notes 1-3 seconds longer than my bolt-on guitars. I've literally timed when the note died out with a stopwatch. Granted, there are too many other factors to consider like pickups, wood types, etc., but I find it compelling that 2 out of 7 of my guitars that have the greatest sustain happen to be neck-through and the rest are bolt-ons. Maybe it's just coincidence...

Just run a search on threads about sustain and I gaurntee you will find it. The arcticle has been posted numerous times on these forums and should show up if you do a search.
RG8670. Or really a number of models from the J-custom line. Now getting one in is the tricky part, but it's doable in most areas, and you're already spending a crapton of money. Might as well get your money's worth. They cut them with LASERS n sh!t!

check it
Page 1 of 2