hey guys heres a link to a video of me playing tell me what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KabcKBakXGs

My guitar friend at school is a real show boater and enjoys putting me down which is a real bummer hes always like blah blah you hold your pick wrong, mute wrong etc..

just wondering is there anything really wrong with my playing. im not a advanced guitarist by far and i never claim to be, i know theres alot i have to work on and im taking it step by step.

so all criticism is welcomed and so is any tips you think could help me in my guitar playing

oh and yeah and the song im playing isnt right my other friend was playing it at school and thats how he said to play it which i know is wrong but meh

thanks heaps
Last edited by NzMetalKid at Sep 1, 2009,
trooper solo ftw, well to be honest your playing is quite choppy sounding, and the bends are a bit out. How long have you being playing? Your trills are pretty good, and I don't think your holding the pick wrong, everyone does it different (make sure your picking with your wrist and not your fingers though...its just the notes don't flow when you switch strings.
If your concerned book a few lessons with a teacher, but I think to improve you could just practice bending in tune and learning everything more slowly so that it sounds perfect and then speeding up. Don't be too harsh on yourself either, you need to keep positive
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Last edited by turtlewax at Sep 1, 2009,
yeah i dont really know the song i havent learnt it in and out lol >< this was my attempt at replicating what i heard one of my friends playing.
For a start, this is before I've even watched your video, this guy is a dick. You should always be helpful and constructive to other guitarists no matter how good/bad they are.

Now that I've seen the video, your left hand is good, however you do need to work on picking and palm muting. I think this could have a lot to do with playing a V, perhaps start playing standing up.
You are not bad...
The solo was a bit choppy, yes, but it's ****ing song.. In one week you will nail perfectly.
You can't judge someone's skills with a song, you judge em' with their techniques in improvising, their theory knowing,etc.

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
The best way to smooth out playing is to break down the song into the most difficult parts for you. From the look of the video it's some of the lick transitions. Set your metronome to a slow tempo and slowly work your way up.

While this method seems to take a long time, it's the best way to train the correct technique and movements into your fingers. The solo will be smoothed out and you can tell your 'friend' to stop being such a douche bag.
I wouldn't change anything about how you pick, the attack sounds good to me, and the the muting is better than 99% of every other guitarist i hear
The solo was decent. What pissed me off was that you named the video "Crappy Guitar Playing" and made the description

"me playing guitar crappily. i hope your ears dont bleed to bad. Woot for bad technique"

Seriously, what's the point of that?
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
yeah like I said, be positive about yourself
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I think you're good, it'd help to know how long you've been playing... though it doesn't really make a difference! Don't let d**chebags bring you down like that... whoever that is he shouldn't be your friend! I know someone like that, complete piece of garbage... conceited arrogant prick! Just don't listen to him... keep it up!
wasn't as bad as you made it sound man.
Honestly, I though it was all there as everyone said just make it "flow" better.

And your "friend" is a real jerk if he puts your playing down.
I never did nor will like people like that.
Work at it man. Keep practicing, keep improving!
TOTAL BRO
1.) Your friend is a douche. Nobody should bash on other people because of their skill for any reason. Help and constructive critism: awesome, putting you down: not cool.

2.) Your friend probably THINKS he is 1000x better then he actually is.

3.) Dude show confidence in yourself. Be proud of your work no matter how bad you think it is, its a learning process man we've all gone through it at somepoint or another. You are your own worst critic, remember that. You will always be 10 times harsher judging yourself then anyone else.

That being said, I didnt really notice any bad technique. Sure there were a couple of bends not fully raised etc etc but that takes practice. Your main issue seems to be (like everyone else said) flowing from one section of the song to the next. You need to slow it down and work on the transitions.

btw good song choice. I know that entire song up to the solo. I haven't sat down to finish learning it yet. You may have just inspired me to do so.

Btw: heres a boost of confidence for you, your trills are far better then mine haha.
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
hey thanks heaps guys that really helped yeah sorry for the video titles its just i dont know i never seem to have any confidence in anything i do and always tend to belittle myself.

ive been playing less than a year, but im really enjoying guitar so im just gonna keep practicing and ill try my best just to ignore what people say and just keep playing.

thanks guys
dude if you've been playing less then a year its totally understandable. It takes time to get good at guitar. Ignore the retarded people and stick with doing what you enjoy and makes you happy. If you stick with it you'll look back years later and be happy you did.
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
When you think about it though, Jimmy page is a really sloppy player and always has been.
I gave rock n' roll to you

Anti-thayer
Quote by ace man
When you think about it though, Jimmy page is a really sloppy player and always has been.

Jimmy Page = sloppy

Jimmy Page = famous

Famous =/= good

sloppy =/= good

(Jimmy Page =/= Jimmy Page?!?!?)
Quote by timeconsumer09
Jimmy Page = sloppy

Jimmy Page = famous

Famous =/= good

sloppy =/= good

(Jimmy Page =/= Jimmy Page?!?!?)

but then you'd also have to say that Jimmy Page =/= good

Oh, and I couldn't see the video cause it was taken down but just be confident in the fact that you actually sat down to learn guitar.

Also take a lesson from this guy and actually encourage starting guitarists, because who wants to be like that guy?
Page is a little sloppy, but he still records good takes and sounds pretty awesome. Show us some examples of this sloppiness
Page is sloppy but what separates him from the bulk of guitarists is his phrasing. Phrasing, phrasing, phrasing. Good phrasing can make you sound awesome.. the problem is attaining it, it's not something that can be learnt. You have to get a feeling for phrasing!
I haven't checked your vid out, I'm at work right now.

Most important things -

1) Do you enjoy playing the guitar?
2) Are you improving relative to where you where a little while ago?

If you answer yes to both of these, then you are fine. It doesn't matter what your friend thinks.
Quote by turtlewax
Page is a little sloppy, but he still records good takes and sounds pretty awesome. Show us some examples of this sloppiness

The Heartbreaker solo is pretty damn sloppy. There's a million bum notes, parts where you can tell he's just picking as fast as he can and slamming his fingers down randomly.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Honestly if you want to et even with your friend (only if you feel like bring him down to size) challenge him to a competition of sorts, tell him that you guys will both post videos of yourselves playing a song and within 1 week, 3days, whatever you want it to be, whoever has the most positive comments, most 5 stars on their video wins. You could also say "loser has to buy winner (strings for their guitar, a pizza, etc.)

But here is the genius part, post links to the video on UG, and have some fellow UGers help you out, even if he can play like Eddie Van Halen with his feet and you can barely play teen spirit on your best day, I'm sure some good people here (and maybe at 4 chan too) would gladly help to bring your friend down to size.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
Honestly if you want to et even with your friend (only if you feel like bring him down to size) challenge him to a competition of sorts, tell him that you guys will both post videos of yourselves playing a song and within 1 week, 3days, whatever you want it to be, whoever has the most positive comments, most 5 stars on their video wins. You could also say "loser has to buy winner (strings for their guitar, a pizza, etc.)

But here is the genius part, post links to the video on UG, and have some fellow UGers help you out, even if he can play like Eddie Van Halen with his feet and you can barely play teen spirit on your best day, I'm sure some good people here (and maybe at 4 chan too) would gladly help to bring your friend down to size.

roflmao thats hilarious.

I would totally help.
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Quote by NzMetalKid

My guitar friend at school is a real show boater and enjoys putting me down which is a real bummer hes always like blah blah you hold your pick wrong, mute wrong etc..

This douchebag is not your friend.