well, I think you should never go higher than 2 halfsteps.
I use 2 tunings where I have to tune a few strings higher (open A and open E), never had any problems.
Control your destiny.
Tuning strings higher isn't really a problem. They are more prone to breaking however. Like habits said, don't go above two steps higher. When tuning your strings up, as expected, the highs get obscene and kind of create some weird almost over driven effects. Just not my cup of tea really.
You can, but it's definitely not good for the strings, and you should never go higher than a whole step, as habits said. Unless you're using 12's for instance on an electric, tuning them to i.e standard is never good for the bridge.
Rory Gallagher did it. Although he did it on a Duo Sonic, so it only had a 22.5" scale length.

However, I've sometimes found that I've tuned my Strat to F Standard for some reason, and my guitar was fine.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by ziggymidget
Unless you're using 12's for instance on an electric, tuning them to i.e standard is never good for the bridge.

That ought to depend on what kind of bridge you have and how well made it is. Jazz guys use much heavier strings than that in standard.

If you're going to do it, I'd suggest going out and buying two sets of the thinnest strings you can find. Using a shorter scale guitar would probably help.
Quote by ziggymidget
I stand corrected

Although I'd still be careful if you have a low end guitar.

Shh, haven't you wanted to see a guitar fold in half?
Careful on the G string. It is the easiest to break in my experience. I have broken cheaper g strings just by tuning it a little too high.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.