hey guys sorry if this is in the wrong thread, i bought a squeir custom telecaster the other day and i was playing around with different tunings like drop c,b etc just to experiment im not a massive metal fan but i thought i'll try it out. But then a problem came to my head and i don't know if its true or not so that when you guys come in, if i keep tuning down to drop tunings with this guitar will it damage the neck or break?
No I don't think it would cause any serious problems, but because your changing tunings, and in this case to a lower tuning, that would mean there will be less tension from the strings on your neck. As a result, you would have to adjust your truss rod to compensate for the less tension. If you know what your doing, there shouldn't be a problem, but if your constantly messing with the truss rod (which I don't recommend) you might end up damaging something.
Exactly. You would just need to adjust your truss rod if you plan on keeping the tunings lower than standard (assuming it was originally setup for standard tuning). If you don't, you will probably have fret buzz and your neck could bend.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
ok thank you, the thing is though i do want to go back to standard tuning aswell sometimes though so i don't wanna be adjusting the truss rod all the time, so i don't know what to do really =/
I have a fee guitars so I have them all in different tunings with different gauge strings, etc., but it won't hurt to go back and forth with tunings. If it is set up for standard tuning, I may suggest that you just put it back in standard tuning if you are going to let it sit for awhile.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212