I've been playing for about 8 months and my $100 Ibanez starter is sounding more and more like a toy every day.

I play all sorts of stuff, mostly rock, blues, jazz, progressive, jam band type stuff.

Is this guitar overkill for a noob?
Nah it will do you for a while, one of the best Singlecuts out there, I'd get it. PRS are great for every genre of music.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
It's fine to get it, as long as you know yuo're gonna be playing guitar for a long time. It's a really nice guitar by the way, get tobacco sunburst!
Quote by The Chimney Man
It's fine to get it, as long as you know yuo're gonna be playing guitar for a long time. It's a really nice guitar by the way, get tobacco sunburst!
Not worried about that, I'm in it for the long haul
Quote by eyeplayguitar
I've been playing for about 8 months and my $100 Ibanez starter is sounding more and more like a toy every day.

I play all sorts of stuff, mostly rock, blues, jazz, progressive, jam band type stuff.

IMO that's impossible, there is no such thing as having a guitar that is to good for you. If you can get it and you like it, then by all means get it.
The Temonti sig is $522, other single cut SE Customs are just over $600. Very good guitars for the money. I just wish they would incorporate the coil taps that the US models have.

It's not overkill, it's a fine instrument that will help keep you playing more each day. Good gear does that, which makes you a better player.

What amp do you use?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
There is not such thing as overkill with guitars. My great-uncle had a collection of guitars worth roughly $90,000 around the time he died, and now its worth about 150k, and it wont ever be sold, which makes me happy for some reason. But I digress...

Get the SE. It's a good guitar and will serve you for a long time
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by eyeplayguitar
Not worried about that, I'm in it for the long haul

That's good, yeah definitely check it out.
Quote by eyeplayguitar

Funny thing, I also had a Ibanez starter (Gio?) and eventually stepped up to a PRS SE.

They're incredibly nice for their price, I definitely recommend it.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Quote by Scopic
Funny thing, I also had a Ibanez starter (Gio?) and eventually stepped up to a PRS SE.

They're incredibly nice for their price, I definitely recommend it.

I have a Vypyr 30 too, and yes my starter is a Gio haha.

I also am looking closely at the Custom 22 over the Singlecut now... we're gonna be twins.
my guitar buying surpasses my technical skill on the guitar and I feel pretty good about my guitars. lets me focus on making music instead of getting all worked up about instruments going out of tune, fret buzz, neck bow, not getting the sound I want etc.. if you plan on playing guitar for the rest of your life, you might want to go with something more high end then a prs se. get a used prs se. or spend like $800 on a nice used instrument. I'm guessing you like humbuckers. get something with humbuckers. please dont do this

A)buy a new prs se at full price
B)replace the pickups for something in the $250 range
C)pay a tech to install your pickups
D)get sick of it and ebay it for $300

when you could just go on ebay and find one with nice pickups already installed. its better to profit from someone elses learning experience.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by eyeplayguitar

I have a Vypyr 30 too, and yes my starter is a Gio haha.

I also am looking closely at the Custom 22 over the Singlecut now... we're gonna be twins.

Haha awesome, you can get some incredible tones out of the Vypyr especially with a nice guitar like the PRS.

Also, I don't think there any differences between the singlecut and custom other than that one is singlecut and one is double cut.

The only problem I've had with my PRS is how a few strings don't like to stay in tune, but that's nothing some locking tuners and a dash of graphite in the nut can't fix.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
Last edited by Scopic at Sep 1, 2009,
I've always wondered about the "Veneer" top. It sounds like the quality you'd get from a cheap Wal-Mart desk...

Anyone have opinions on it? Has it stood up to your playing and still looked/sounded good?

fyi - I'm debating between a SE Singlecut and a Telecaster FMT HH
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
- Stephen F. Roberts
I have one myself, awesome guitar, and dont worry it was my second guitar too. Mine plays like a dream, should be able to handle everything that you want to play. Only commplaint is that it doesn't handle high amounts of gain very well, but it could just be my amp so i dunno.
My Gear:

Prs Se Singlecut

Takamine G3SSOS

Roland Cube 20x
Quote by bkmurff
fyi - I'm debating between a SE Singlecut and a Telecaster FMT HH

I just played a bunch of new Fender stuff today and they are really crappy these days. The SE is a much better built guitar. Very versatile and just overall great. People that replace the pickups must be going for very specific sounds because I find the stock pups are very fat and sweet.
Yeah, I think a Singlecut is right for just about anybody. It was my first guitar and I still go back to it quite often.
Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus w/ '60s neck
Ibanez JEM 7V
Jackson SL2H Soloist
PRS Singlecut SE
Marshall JVM410h
Marshall 1960a 4x12
Line 6 Pod x3 Live
I have both the PRS SE Singlecut and The Soapbar II. I love both guitars, and they are great for the money.

I also have a limited edtion Fender Scorpion Esquire which is the same as the FMT models, except it only has one pickup.

The FMT tele's are really nice in my opinion, so it would come down to neck feel. Go play both and whichever neck feels better, get that one.

I play my SE Singlecut the most of any of my guitars. Which is insane when I think about it, I should have my PRS Singlecut Hollowbody in my hands every waking moment. I am scared to play that thing for some reason, its just too damn perfect for a hack like me.
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
The SE range is really good, i hate the pups in them but they do the job just fine until u feel confident enough to change them up.

Overall id say its a really nice guitar with afew little upgrades they go from a mid range guitar to a high range guitar in no time.

Also the FMT teles are awesome and if u can get one snap it up
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Quote by Metlhead443
There is not such thing as overkill with guitars. My great-uncle had a collection of guitars worth roughly $90,000 around the time he died, and now its worth about 150k, and it wont ever be sold, which makes me happy for some reason. But I digress...

Get the SE. It's a good guitar and will serve you for a long time

Off topic, but that is quite unbelieveable, he must have a great family. because im sure most people, especially in the current recession would've sold those guitars once he died. Glad they weren't
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by JAHellraiser
Off topic, but that is quite unbelieveable, he must have a great family. because im sure most people, especially in the current recession would've sold those guitars once he died. Glad they weren't

yeah. Its on my moms side, and literally every male family member plays guitar, so they decided instead of letting some wealthy stranger enjoy them, they'd let the family enjoy them as much as my great uncle did. It was a pretty cool decision, which allowed to play some AMAZING gear, specifically a 1957 LP and a No-caster. I then learned how Gibson and Fender got their reputations
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Quote by eyeplayguitar
I have a Vypyr 30 for now..

Question for everyone: What are the differences between an SE Custom 22 and the Singlecut?

The extra cut, mostly ^^ I was going to go with the Tremonti SE but got the Custom 22 in the end because the tremonti felt a bit big and clumsy in my hands. The Custom 22 is a lovely lightweight guitar with (imo) a very nice neck and overall great playability. I've been playing electric for about the same ammount of time as you and I couldn't be happier with it.

As for the differences between an SE and a regular Custom 22... Well for starters the regular one is handmade in the USA, instead of factory made in Korea by a brand named World Musical Instruments. It's got a carved top which the SE line doesn't have (although I don't miss it on my Custom 22), and I'm pretty sure there's lots of other luxurious additions to a 'real' PRS over an SE, like the bird inlays on the neck. Plus you pay a good part of the money for the PRS name I guess...
SE is by no means a cheap (in quality) instrument though :P
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
Last edited by Azunaii at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by Azunaii
The extra cut, mostly ^^ I was going to go with the Tremonti SE but got the Custom 22 in the end because the tremonti felt a bit big and clumsy in my hands. The Custom 22 is a lovely lightweight guitar with (imo) a very nice neck and overall great playability. I've been playing electric for about the same ammount of time as you and I couldn't be happier with it.

As for the differences between an SE and a regular Custom 22... Well for starters the regular one is handmade in the USA, instead of factory made in Korea by a brand named World Musical Instruments. It's got a carved top which the SE line doesn't have (although I don't miss it on my Custom 22), and I'm pretty sure there's lots of other luxurious additions to a 'real' PRS over an SE, like the bird inlays on the neck. Plus you pay a good part of the money for the PRS name I guess...
SE is by no means a cheap (in quality) instrument though :P
Awesome man, great info and exactly what I was looking for. I have very small hands and was playing a few PRS models at the store (don't remember which ones, but it wasn't a Singlecut or a Custom 22), and the neck felt wider than my Ibanez. Is this the case with all PRS models? How wide is the neck on the SE Custom?
As one guy put it, an SE is 2/3rds the tone and playability of a real PRS for 1/2 the cost. A pretty good deal if you ask me. And with the right amp and pickups a PRS can any genre.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
Quote by eyeplayguitar
I have a Vypyr 30 for now..

Question for everyone: What are the differences between an SE Custom 22 and the Singlecut?

The SE Custom 22 is MIK, is about $80 more than the SE Single cut. The main difference aside from the cuts is the pups. The SE Custom has zebra style hb's that are a slight bit hotter than the single cut pups.

The Custom 22 MIA guitars are completely different, woods used, workmanship, electronics, coil taps. Simply a different level instrument period.

I'm hoping to pick up a SE Santana later today used for about $275. That could be an epic deal if it works out.

again.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
world musical instruments is CHINA not KOREA. and dont get it twisted. its not anywhere near the quality of a real PRS. although american production PRS has been getting slightly worse lately except for the 10 tops and private stocks. the one thing that bothers me is how much money is lost everytime you buy a guitar and sell it. you can get something better for $800. if you know what you want. style of music etc.. and shop used. an american or japanese guitar will last you a life time. and it doesn't hurt to swap pickups if you know your keeping it.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by The Chimney Man
Can anyone tell me what the cheapest PRS is with the Bird fret inlays?

Thanks.

Prolly about 2.5 stacks. Mine was over 2 new and it didn't even come with bird inlays. But my buddies 10 top has em. They are cool but dont let the freakin inlays determine what guitar u get.