Well I can't decide between a used Orange Rocker 30 or a brand new Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 25th Anniversary. The H&K is new, around £150 cheaper which means I can get a new guitar sooner, has nicer cleans, FX loop and spring reverb which are all pros over the Orange. The only thing is from youtube demos I can't tell whether it does a convincing marshally sound because that is the most important thing. If anyone has tried this or the 20th anniversary one, which is essentially the same, could you let me know if it does, because otherwise I will get the Orange.

Thanks
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
I can't really help you out mate, I'm also looking at the same H&K and I've played it. I am looking at that or a Blackstar HT5S (the H&K being the higher end of my budget) and I can't decide either

They both do what I need but is the H&K £100 better than the Blackstar? I dunno
put ur back against the one amp and ur feet on the other, that should give u enough leverage to push the one amp away and free urself
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
Quote by someguy27
put ur back against the one amp and ur feet on the other, that should give u enough leverage to push the one amp away and free urself

Bravo
Quote by AxSilentxLine
if you're after a Marshall sound why not get a Marshall? but the orange will do British crunch better imo
Modern Marshalls suck
Quote by someguy27
That would be really cool actually
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Last edited by ILiKePiNeAppLeS at Sep 1, 2009,
The traynor is a no go, Im in the UK
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
I found the Edition Tube had a bit of a harsh top end when I tried it, sounded a bit Solid-state-y.

If you're after a Marshall-y sound, I'd say either a Traynor YCV50, or a used Bluesbreaker/1974x/Plexi/JCM800 clone, depending on the specific styles.

Can you name one or two guitarists whose tone you particularly like?

EDIT: sorry for double post. Traynors aren't that hard to find in the UK - I've seen Trev Wilkinson using one a few times.
Last edited by kyle62 at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by kyle62
Can you name one or two guitarists whose tone you particularly like?

Yeah, John Frusciante and Slash. I also like Buckethead's tone a lot but I'm after more of a British crunch and a Frusciante clean.
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Well don't Vintage Marshalls cost a lot
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Not necessarily you can pick them up cheap if you hunt around, but since the Orange Rocker 30 is already in your sig I guess you've decided

good choice imo
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
Yeah, John Frusciante and Slash. I also like Buckethead's tone a lot but I'm after more of a British crunch.

Nice! JCM800 then - I doubt you'll find a Silver Jubilee in that price range
It's not too hard to find a JCM800 combo for around £500-£700.

If you already had a cab, you might even be able to find a Ceriatone Silver Jubilee clone - an amp both Slash and Frusciante are well known for using.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Not necessarily you can pick them up cheap if you hunt around, but since the Orange Rocker 30 is already in your sig I guess you've decided

good choice imo
That's been there a while actually, I just remembered about the H&K lol. I will probably go with the Orange though.

Quote by kyle62
Nice! JCM800 then - I doubt you'll find a Silver Jubilee in that price range
It's not too hard to find a JCM800 combo for around £500-£700.

If you already had a cab, you might even be able to find a Ceriatone Silver Jubilee clone - an amp both Slash and Frusciante are well known for using.

Yeah I've looked at the Silver Jubilee but I don't have a cab and I will probably spend more than I want to on the head and cab put together. I'll look for a JCM 800. Off to eBay I go
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Last edited by ILiKePiNeAppLeS at Sep 1, 2009,
Also, do they make a 112 JCM 800 combo? Because I don't really fancy a big 212
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Doesn't anyone like the H&K then ? It looks pretty good to me..
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
It is a pretty nice amp and darn versatile, but the Rocker 30 has superior drive imo. What's bugging me is that it's only 150 quid cheaper. Where I live (Germany) the H&K is only half the price of the Orange, so I'd be interested where you looked up the prices.

What I'd recommend is looking at the H&K Statesman, the Dual EL84 and Quad EL84 models in particular. Nice British rock tones, nice cleans as well. All in all a better sounding amp than the Edition Tube model and it has all the extras that the Rocker 30 lacks.

http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php?mode=prod&id=118

Here the Dual EL84, relatively affordable I think:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/hugheskettner_statesman_dual_el84.htm

The Quad EL84 (twice the wattage) costs about 200 quid more usually.

I was pretty impressed with these little combos. The drive of the Rocker is imo better (more balls, more low end, more agressive), but the Statesman's cleans are better than the Rockers (imo, of course).
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 1, 2009,
Yeah sorry about the £150 more thing. I meant a USED Rocker 30.

I'll have a look at the statesman now thanks for the post.
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
My friend recently bought a Rocker 30, and I loved the sound. Beautiful cleans and a nice, crisp crunch. Although when put against my Marshall, he got slaughtered

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by AxSilentxLine
yeah but for high gain the DSL is going to win no matter what

True, and my KT77's help with that too

hey nice guitar btw, is it really a LE or did you mod it? I ask because I recently had the Epiphone LP Custom LE Midnight guitar with the 85/81 mix..

got it off ebay for $500 and was able to get an Fender American Tele & my Epi LP Standard for it

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Between those I would definitely recommend the Orange. I've only played a couple but they all had a good British voicing (a little Voxy was my impression...).

I've never recommended a H&K to anyone - not to say that all their products are bad necessarily, but that none of them have really impressed me enough to recommend them over other amps within their price ranges.
-Mike
Thanks for the input everyone

Yeah,I think i'm almost definitely going to go for the Orange.
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab