I have problems with my feedback.

Guitar with mini humbuckers >bad monkey>artec true bypass noise gate>rg50tc with a delay in the EFX loop.

50 watts tube, master volume on about 5-6, channel volume on about 6 and gain set on around 4, EQ is all fairly middle ground, slightly boosted bass.

Usually I'll be standing no more than 3-4 ft from my amp, but if I walk across the opposite side of the room, I still get feedback. If I turn the volume completely down on the guitar, still get feedback. Mute all the strings, still get feedback. Power tubes have just been replaced.

Also, my amp on about half volume is around the same volume as the other guitarist's 75 watt solid state amp on the same volume setting, surely something is amiss there?

So my next thought is wax potting the humbuckers? Or shielding the cavities?
Tube amps are usually around twice as loud as SS amps of the same wattage, so that part of your inquiry is normal (What is your second guitarist doing with a 75W SS amp anyway?).

As for your immediate problem, shielding might help, but if you can't find a solution, just avoid those areas of the room where you're getting feedback and you should be okay. I'm sure someone else will be able to help you more than I can, though.
Quote by rootbeerjuice
Tube amps are usually around twice as loud as SS amps of the same wattage, so that part of your inquiry is normal (What is your second guitarist doing with a 75W SS amp anyway?).

As for your immediate problem, shielding might help, but if you can't find a solution, just avoid those areas of the room where you're getting feedback and you should be okay. I'm sure someone else will be able to help you more than I can, though.

Tube elitism fail.

Sounds like your pickups are microphonic.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by dandadog
If I turn the volume completely down on the guitar, still get feedback.
This is not right. I suspect you're talking about hum/buzz, not feedback.

Feedback is oscillation/screeching/howling. It's caused by the amplified sound from the amp re-entering the pickups, being amplified even more until it overshadows any new signal the strings are creating. If you turn the volume on the guitar completely down, there is no way for that to continue.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by rootbeerjuice
^I have nothing against SS amps, but IMO the higher wattage solid states don't sound very good at all, especially compared to their lower wattage versions.

what?

That makes about zero sense... Higher wattage=less clipping=better tone...
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
This is not right. I suspect you're talking about hum/buzz, not feedback.

Feedback is oscillation/screeching/howling. It's caused by the amplified sound from the amp re-entering the pickups, being amplified even more until it overshadows any new signal the strings are creating. If you turn the volume on the guitar completely down, there is no way for that to continue.

Trust me, I don't understand it either. It is definitely feedback, though. I have a feeling my pots might be slightly problematic; if I have the amp low and turn the volume down I get no sound, but occasionally if I turn the volume down on the guitar with the amp loud, I can still get a sound from the pickups. I think that problem is on this guitar, might be mistaken. I'll check that in a bit.

But yeah, if I turn my volume down completely, I still get a high pitched screeching howling sound, the only way to stop it is to start playing.

Quote by rootbeerjuice

I agree, his tone makes me wanna cry.

There isn't anywhere else in the room where I don't have the problem, which is the problem. It happens no matter how far from the amp I am.

Quote by rootbeerjuice
^I have nothing against SS amps, but IMO the higher wattage solid states don't sound very good at all, especially compared to their lower wattage versions.

As I said, his tone makes me wanna cry.
Last edited by dandadog at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by oneblackened
what?

That makes about zero sense... Higher wattage=less clipping=better tone...

All the solid state amps I've heard (admittedly, there isn't much of a selection here) sound better in the lower watt (up to about 30) versions than the high wattage ones. I don't know about the reasons behind it, but it's a pattern I've seen (or heard, I guess).

EDIT: On topic, I think there's a ghost in TS's amp. You shouldn't be hearing feedback if your volume is at zero.
Last edited by rootbeerjuice at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by rootbeerjuice
(What is your second guitarist doing with a 75W SS amp anyway?).
Quote by rootbeerjuice
Look man, you need to stop this. This SS -vs- Tube bullshit has no business in a thread where a user is trying to debug a problem with his guitar/amp.

Consider that matter a closed issue in this thread.

Quote by dandadog
Trust me, I don't understand it either. It is definitely feedback, though. I have a feeling my pots might be slightly problematic; if I have the amp low and turn the volume down I get no sound, but occasionally if I turn the volume down on the guitar with the amp loud, I can still get a sound from the pickups. I think that problem is on this guitar, might be mistaken. I'll check that in a bit.

But yeah, if I turn my volume down completely, I still get a high pitched screeching howling sound, the only way to stop it is to start playing.
Yeah, I'd have to guess there is something a bit flaky about the connection to the ground side of your volume pot.

There is a limit to how much gain you can use before any guitar will feedback. Maybe your pickups need potting in addition to you repairing the connections in your guitar and/or replacing the volume pot. But you might need to use less gain and more master volume.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by rootbeerjuice
All the solid state amps I've heard (admittedly, there isn't much of a selection here) sound better in the lower watt (up to about 30) versions than the high wattage ones. I don't know about the reasons behind it, but it's a pattern I've seen (or heard, I guess).

EDIT: On topic, I think there's a ghost in TS's amp. You shouldn't be hearing feedback if your volume is at zero.

Interesting. Meh, to each his own i guess

Yeah... The possibilities include but probably aren't limited to:
Bad cable
microphonic tube
too much gain
bad ground
microphonic pickup
broken solder joint in guitar.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden