Page 1 of 2
Ok, i've sorted the problem of the MG, now i have £450 to spend on a combo amp for use at home, gigging and band practice.

I play mainly metal and hard rock, bands like Trivium, BFMV etc. and Guns N Roses, Velvet Revolver etc. So i want an amp that will be good for playing those.

I also have a new guitar coming, and it has active EMG's, which i've been told don't sound as good on a solid state amp, and if that's true i'll be taking that into consideration....

So far, the amps I'm gonna look at are:

Peavey Vypyr 100w (or the 60w tube version)
Vox Valvetronix VT100
Line6 Flextone III (maybe, not too sure about that one...)

So are there any other amps i should be looking at? £450 is the absolute max i can afford, and as i said it has to be loud enough for gigs, and it has to be combo.

Thanks
Peavey Classic 30 (370 Pounds) + Ibanez TubeScreamer TS9 (62 Pounds)

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Don't get the Vypyr. Erm, you might wanna look at some Bugera amps I personally liked the 333xl. Or save up and get a Peavey 5150 or 6505 combo:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_6505_112_combo.htm?sid=8068466d548d09f11a99fd0ed5e6fe67

Don't get the Flextone because it's just another solid state modelling amp. Have you looked at the "metal gear" thread?
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Valvekings are meant to have shocking reliability. Classic 30 + TS9 would be pretty good I think. A look into a Hayden MoFo might be a good idea, handwired 30W tube amp with a switch to take it down to 2W for home practicing and such. Really cool amp
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan
i'll look at the Bugera, I'm gonna look at a peavey Valveking 212 aswell

I'd get that Bugera before a Valveking. In fact, do yourself a financial and tone favor, skip the Valveking. You'll only end up replacing it.
Quote by falconthefirst
Don't get the Flextone because it's just another solid state modelling amp.

And one of the best at it too. Don't discourage it.

I wouldn't recommend it for you right now TS, pretty much the usual Peavey line would suit you. 5150 this, XXX that...etc.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Last edited by ZeroCS at Sep 1, 2009,
Bugera 6262 or 333XL, both have the ability to do all what your asking for

6262 is more raw in your face 6505 tone

333XL has less gain on tap but plenty and is verry versatile
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Ok, the Valveking seems to have reliability Issues, which is a pity as it looked about right for me, and the Bugera may be a bit expensive...I can find a 333 212 for £427 on thomann though, and a 6260 for £380... I dunno, i need to try them, but no shops near me have any in
One final thing for tonight:

I now have these that i like the look of in my proce range:

Bugera 6260 212
Bugera 333 212 (not sure if i can afford this or the 6262 though...)
Bugera 6262 212
Peavey Valveking
Peavey Vypyr (either 60w tube or 100w SS)
Randall RG-50 TC

All of those are in my price range, and i am planning on an Ibanez tube screamer aswell....

So, which is best for my style of music? (again, thats Trivium, BFMV aswell as Guns n Roses etc)

And in my price range (up to £450) should i really be looking at tube, or will i be better off with a solid state for that money?

Edit: Also, would all those be fine for small to medium sized gigs?
Last edited by ir0nmaid3nfan at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by jonmo1
Peavey Classic 30 (370 Pounds) + Ibanez TubeScreamer TS9 (62 Pounds)

+1
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
Quote by falconthefirst
Don't get the Vypyr.

Don't get the Flextone because it's just another solid state modelling amp. Have you looked at the "metal gear" thread?
I dare you to tell this to oneblackened.

He will disect you.

But honestly, someone's a little biased to tube amps, aren't we?

I second the suggestion for a Peavey Classic with a tube screamer. It will do everything on the hard rock side, and with the tube screamer as a boost it will do your heavier styles.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Sep 1, 2009,
Ahh dude, that's a head though, i want a combo if possible... On another note, my LTD ec-1000 vb just arrived. :P

And after playing them, i have narrowed it down to the PEavey Valveking and the Bugera combos i listed above... If it wasn't for my worries on reliability, i would go for the VK, but then again, the bugeras aren't meant to be *that* reliable either lol
Dude, Peavey Classic 30...Seriousely...

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1
Dude, Peavey Classic 30...Seriousely...

+1.
I love this amp. Great cleans, takes pedals great, throw in an OD or Distortion and can achieve death metal tones.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
You mean this one?

I can't find one at the price you mentioned in the first post, and a TS9 is about £100, so i couldn't afford both....

Edit: and is 30w enough to cover small to medium sized gigs w/o a pa?
Last edited by ir0nmaid3nfan at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan
You mean this one?

I can't find one at the price you mentioned in the first post, and a TS9 is about £100, so i couldn't afford both....

Edit: and is 30w enough to cover small to medium sized gigs w/o a pa?

Looks good, and yup.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Yes, that's the Peavey Classic 30 alright..

Your budget is 450 - is that Euro's or UK Pounds?

Classic 30 New = 600 US Dollars
Used = 350-400 US Dollars - Yes, used is good. C30s are built like tanks to last.
In fact, used might even be better, the speaker will already be broken in.

450 Euros = 640 US Dollars
450 UK Pounds = 730 US Dollars

According to http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Either way it's in your budget.
To get new, you'd have to save just a tiny bit more for the TS9.
For used, you have plenty of Budget.

And yes, 30Watts Tube is VERY LOUD.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Sep 2, 2009,
Well the other guitarist in my band has a Peavey Bandit 112, and i guess this will be louder lol. I'll try and fine one nice and cheap :p And maybe scrounge some money for a tubescreamer if needs be

edit: and yes, that's in pounds

edit 2: This will be louder than a Peavey Bandit 112 right? And being all tube, will sound better at the same time?

I can't compare the 2 right now, but how does this compare value wise and tone wise to the ValveKing? 30w tube, if it will cover gigs without a pa for me, should be good, and tube will make my new EMG's sound even better :P (or so i hear)

Gonna try a Peavey Classic tomorrow after school, but they have no TS9's in, so i can't try it with one of those, i'll just take you guys word for it that it sounds epic :P I could possibly stretch to get the TS9 at the same time, but then i would be in debt to my dad >_< ah well...
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan
Well the other guitarist in my band has a Peavey Bandit 112, and i guess this will be louder lol. I'll try and fine one nice and cheap :p And maybe scrounge some money for a tubescreamer if needs be

edit: and yes, that's in pounds

edit 2: This will be louder than a Peavey Bandit 112 right? And being all tube, will sound better at the same time?

I can't compare the 2 right now, but how does this compare value wise and tone wise to the ValveKing? 30w tube, if it will cover gigs without a pa for me, should be good, and tube will make my new EMG's sound even better :P (or so i hear)
I tried both. The Bandit technically is louder, but it won't sound as loud because tube amps sound more natrual then SS. The Bandit is still very loud, so keep that in mind.

A tube amp is not better then a solid-state. Solid-state amps definetly have their place. If you were to ask oneblackened on this, he would give you many reasons why solid-states are good as well. The Bandit IMO is a great amp for the price.

If you have an EMG equipped guitar, don't get the Bandit. Solid-states don't mix well with actives because the actives won't reach their full pontential when played through SS.

You have to do a lot to the Valveking in order to achieve good tone. Stuff like changing the speaker, an EQ Pedal, and an OD pedal will be needed. So keep that in mind.
30 valve is ear-splittingly loud, youd probably need an attenuator.

the Laney LC30 and the VC30 are worth a lookm very cool amps. i prefere their cleans to the classic 30.

for guns n roses, the Delta Blues might be worth a look too, with a TS808 or TS9 it would do most anything, with improved cleans over the C30 (IMHO)

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Well, i doubt we will be playing near full volume anyways, so the fact the bandit is louder doesn't mean much, if i play a 30w tube near full volume it will cover up the drums etc. won't it?

If i would need to do that much to the VK to make it good, i think the Classic is my best bet, with a TS9 anyways... I'll have a look at the Laney LC30 and VC30 though :P

Edit: The Classic 30 is loud enough for gigs - is it *just* loud enough, or will i have plenty of extra volume to go to?
Last edited by ir0nmaid3nfan at Sep 2, 2009,
a 15w is loud enough for gigs, but its not clean.

a 30 watt is loud enough with some clean headroom to it.

if your worried, you could hang onto cash for a bit and get the Classic 50.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan
Well, i doubt we will be playing near full volume anyways, so the fact the bandit is louder doesn't mean much, if i play a 30w tube near full volume it will cover up the drums etc. won't it?

If i would need to do that much to the VK to make it good, i think the Classic is my best bet, with a TS9 anyways... I'll have a look at the Laney LC30 and VC30 though :P

Edit: The Classic 30 is loud enough for gigs - is it *just* loud enough, or will i have plenty of extra volume to go to?
Oh god, you will have loads of volume.

I played the amp at 2, and the room started shaking. No jokes.

You won't be playing it at full volume, unless you want to have hearing damage.
My Bio teacher is a guitarist (well, i dont do Bio, but he teaches it at my school lol) and he had a PEavey Classic 30 with him today. He didn't have a TS9 but he had some kind of similar pedal, and holy **** it sounded good. I'm getting some shops to by my amp (seeing which gives me the best price) and then buying the Classic 30 + TS9
A wise choice GrassHoppa

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Aha thanks :P Just hope i get enough to afford it. I'm gonna look out for a used one if i can, i want the TS9 aswell... But if i can't find one used i'll have to stretch my budget as much as possible lol... Thanks for the advice though
I wouldn't worry too much about the TS9 to begin with.
You can get plenty of good tone without it, for starters.
You'll enjoy playing it for a few weeks or whatever while you save up for the TS9.

The TS9 is the ideal Overdrive pedal, but any old thing will do. Check Pawn shops for a cheapo $10 or $15 Overdrive Pedal...

You might even be surprised that a cheapo suits you just fine.

The idea is that you don't want to use the pedals built in distortion.
Instead, Use the AMPs natural distortion.
Then what you want to do is dial in the best sounding distortion on the AMP.
And then use the Level (not distortion) control on the OD pedal to BOOST it...

You can add distortion with the pedal if you want (that's your taste/preference). but it may change "Color" the tone of the amps natural distortion. That may be good or bad, that's up to you..

I got a $15 TS9 clone about 3 years ago, works great.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Sep 3, 2009,
So, i'm about to go sell the MG, so, one last time, Classic 30 + tubescreamer will allow me to play metal like trivium and BFMV, aswell as Guns n Roses, and all that stuff?
Apparently there is a new 6505 combo coming out in October or something. Which you will be able to easily afford. The Peavey 6505 is a remake of the 5150 which was THE metal amp. But if you really can't wait,

http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_6505_112_combo.htm

They just lowered the price by like £150.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by falconthefirst
Apparently there is a new 6505 combo coming out in October or something. Which you will be able to easily afford. The Peavey 6505 is a remake of the 5150 which was THE metal amp. But if you really can't wait,

http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_6505_112_combo.htm

They just lowered the price by like £150.

Well, it's ordered :P. Though it was quite near the edge of my budget, i did save money by not needing a tubescreamer....
Quote by ir0nmaid3nfan
Well, it's ordered :P. Though it was quite near the edge of my budget, i did save money by not needing a tubescreamer....

Wise choice.

I was going to step in before you seriously bought a Classic 30 for modern metal, but I had forgotten to. Glad someone stepped in.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
haha thanks. I do wonder if that amp has actually been released yet though? Because everywhere seems to say it hasn't yet.... Either way, it's likely my best choice

edit: Actually, we have a few gigs lined up, so if i can;t pick one up until October as some people seem to be saying in other threads, i'll need a similar, good amp for the same price range that i cang et >_<
Page 1 of 2