For a 10 watt head through a 4x12? I play in a hard rock band and currently use a 50 watt Krank Rev Jr Pro.

I am looking to get the Goldstar (second one down) with an EL34 in it.

http://www.martamp.com/amps.html

Is a 10 watt head turned up all the way through 4x12 with speakers rated at 100dB too loud and will it overpower the band?
"teh most gains"
The volume comes from the amp, not the speakers necessarily. I think you'll be fine as long as the amp and the cab match ohm wise. Which is what?

If anything, with a 10w amp - it may be the other way around. It may not be loud enough.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 1, 2009,
Hardly. In some cases (especially in rock or metal bands), a 10w head will not even be loud enough to be properly heard. Clean headroom will most likely be a problem, too. You know that the speakers being rated at 100db doesn't mean that they'll actually deliver such volumes with a 10w head, right?
I think you should be alright, but it depends on the band. Just turn it down a hair if you need to, assuming it's loud enough to begin with.

Why not get the 18W?
I want to turn it up all the way to get some nice power tube saturation. Turning it down isn't an option.

This also means clean headroom won't be a problem.

To 311ZOSOVHJH, speaker rating is actually a big factor as far as volume. A 100 watt head through a 4x12 rated at 97dB is the same loudness as a 50 watt through a 4x12 rated at 100dB.
"teh most gains"
Quote by TheQuailman
You know that the speakers being rated at 100db doesn't mean that they'll actually deliver such volumes with a 10w head, right?

Speaker rating @ 100db means the loudness @ 1 WATT!!

So with a 10 watt amp this set up could produce about 111dB, which should be loud enough to keep up. Just.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by mountain2012
I want to turn it up all the way to get some nice power tube saturation. Turning it down isn't an option.

This also means clean headroom won't be a problem.

To 311ZOSOVHJH, speaker rating is actually a big factor as far as volume. A 100 watt head through a 4x12 rated at 97dB is the same loudness as a 50 watt through a 4x12 rated at 100dB.

I know about the 3dB rule. If you've got it all figured out, then why the tread? Your signature says you use an attenuator - so knock yourself out.

Fish - good to see you again.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The volume comes from the amp, not the speakers necessarily. I think you'll be fine as long as the amp and the cab match ohm wise. Which is what?

If anything, with a 10w amp - it may be the other way around. It may not be loud enough.

Yes and no, the amp produces the power but the speakers translate it into volume, and some speakers are much louder than others, for example a speaker rated at 95 dB@1w1M compared to a 98dB@1w1m speaker would be the difference between a 50 watt amp compared to a 100 watt amp. So 10 watts fully cranked would produce around 18-20 watts, if your 412 cab is rated around 100dB@1w1m than the amp should produce 112-115db full volume, which is pretty sticken loud. If your wanting power tube OD be advised its going to be pretty loud.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
^ You really said nothing wrong, I was just clearifing a little, a 10 watt full cranked with a 412 cab rated @ 100dB@1w1m should not over power most bands, it should easly get over drums, and keep up with any other amp as long as they don't get crazy and crank the hell out of thier 100 watt tube amps.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6