Hi,

Í'm getting a new guitar, but i'm not sure whether to buy the Gibson Les Paul Junior, i play mainly green day and nickelback at the moment, would the guitar be suitable for this. I'm not really bothered about 1 pickup because i have a strat as well.

Finally, any thoughts on the gibson les paul studio faded guitars?

thanks
Gibsons vary greatly in quality, but both the studio and the junior are nice for what you're doing (provided you find a good one). Depending on where you live and what money you have, there might be better options though. Also, the amp is a far bigger factor when it comes to tone then the guitar. So:

What amp do you have?
Where do you live?
How much can you spend?
Quote by mrshinyshoes2

Finally, any thoughts on the gibson les paul studio faded guitars?

thanks

Owned one... lost it in a divorce... miss it horribly. I replaced the tuners and pickups and all was good with the world.
Quote by mrshinyshoes2
i have a vox valevetronix 30 amp, i am prepared to spend up to £700, i live in the UK

I had that same amp with my Les Paul faded. Sounded pretty good overall. I'm not a huge fan of the valvetronix amps, but they get the job done.

I had replaced the pickups with a Dimarzio tone-zone and Fred, and put Grover tuners on it because the stock Gibson "greenies" aren't too good.
yep, i was thinking about replacing the pickups after a while, i might also replace the tuners, depends how much the tuning slips around.
Be aware that the bridge doesn't allow intonation adjustments... many are fine with this... but it catches some off guard.
C.E.G.
Rockin' with a cheap electric guitar!
Quote by C.E.G.
Be aware that the bridge doesn't allow intonation adjustments... many are fine with this... but it catches some off guard.

The studio faded have a standard tone-pros bridge, so you can tweak them properly. C.E.G. is correct though... the Junior does not.
Last edited by Vikingx at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by mrshinyshoes2
i have a vox valevetronix 30 amp, i am prepared to spend up to £700, i live in the UK

www.tcellisguitars.co.uk
1, Look at his series 2 range.
2, Look at the price of his special with Warpigs.
3, Imagine with less metal pups.
4, Talk to the man.
......and I love Gibsons.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

the studio fadeds are underrated on this board. you'll get lots of stupid posts about them like "they have bad quality controls so they are teh suxorz" but they can be fantastic if you get one that just does it for you - they won't all seem excellent, in fact some of them you'll just dislike, and this is where the misconceived "bad quality control" comes from - gibson even advertises the fact that they are all different on the website - i think it's part of the charm, meaning you might find one that's just right.. or you might not and it's the people who don't who hop on the "gibson sucks" bandwagon.

ultimately the same applies to the les paul junior too. you have to find one you like, by going to a shop and trying them, if you can't do that i wouldn't advise getting one of either, because if you order off the net you're basically taking a gamble when it comes to gibson.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
studio fadeds are gibsons equivalent to the epi specials.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Quote by Silver-spear94

oh wow. I wont even comment on this.

Anyhow, out of the two, I'd get the studio faded. One thing you need to do though, is to be able to play the exact guitar you're buying and not just the same model guitar. Check everything about it and ask for a professional setup before you pay for getting it home. They'll still be making a huge profit out of selling you the guitar. Once you've found one you like and the setup is done on it, you'll propably be a lot happier with the guitar you purchase.

Oh, and lots of the QC bull is because the guitars aren't set up. 90% of all gibsons i've ever played were great after i set them up.
Quote by Blompcube
the studio fadeds are underrated on this board. you'll get lots of stupid posts about them like "they have bad quality controls so they are teh suxorz" but they can be fantastic if you get one that just does it for you - they won't all seem excellent, in fact some of them you'll just dislike, and this is where the misconceived "bad quality control" comes from - gibson even advertises the fact that they are all different on the website - i think it's part of the charm, meaning you might find one that's just right.. or you might not and it's the people who don't who hop on the "gibson sucks" bandwagon.

ultimately the same applies to the les paul junior too. you have to find one you like, by going to a shop and trying them, if you can't do that i wouldn't advise getting one of either, because if you order off the net you're basically taking a gamble when it comes to gibson.
yep, people sometimes just don't understand the idea that just because it doesn't feel right in your hands doesn't mean it's a bad quality guitar.

Anyway, I will comment in that I do not like the faded finishes, some people hate how Gibson lacquered necks feel new, but I love them once they're worn in, and if it is the VM, I also dislike their sound in general. I like my les pauls to sound bright and snappy, and you really need a maple top for that.

Also, the Les Paul Juniors are very cool guitars, but I've always preferred the Les Paul special w/ double P-90s. Imo, the neck pickup of a les paul is just too much to sacrifice.
Quote by Silver-spear94
And MIM Strats are Fender's equivalent to Squier Bullets right? And Highway 1s are their equivalent to the Squier Affinitys?

Besides... Gibson already has an to the Epi specials, it's called the Gibson les paul special. They're about the lowest end of Gibsons that you could buy and were available for ~$600 or so as recent as 6-7 years ago, now the only ones that they sell are custom shop reissues for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It3V5-mF1J4

So if you're meaning to imply such guitars suck, I think you've failed pretty miserably, so please, don't try to sound smart unless you actually have any clue what you're talking about.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Also, the Les Paul Juniors are very cool guitars, but I've always preferred the Les Paul special w/ double P-90s. Imo, the neck pickup of a les paul is just too much to sacrifice.

+1, the juniors are brilliant at what they do, but les paul neck pickups are such serious win that it's almost a loss without one.. i say only get a junior if you already have a les paul with a neck pickup
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.