Just Play. Learn songs, figure out why certian notes sound good together.

You might want to take lessons, learn how to read music. I didn't, but I probably should.

But just play, and read stuff here... Half of the stuff I know about guitar I learned on these forums.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Sep 1, 2009,
Just practice until you can play all your favorite songs perfectly and with ease. Make sure that you can play ANY song. Then learn about theory and how to actually make your own music. And come up with your own stuff. And join a band of course. There are lots of great guitarists out there but most of them nobody knows about. So go out there and show the world how good you are.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
I know I can learn about the music theory here, but is there a certain list that i can find beginner, Intermediate, and Expert level songs?
Work on crafting your own sound and style .... Make sure you always have that in mind ...... If you can look into the Charlie Parker Biopic Bird ... you'll better understand the struggle of the first thing I mentioned ..... If you're still in hs .. take music/band classes if you can .. so you can learn how to read music ..... later on that'll get you and keep you employed as a studio musician .......... Lastly work hard
Quote by end0rance
I know I can learn about the music theory here, but is there a certain list that i can find beginner, Intermediate, and Expert level songs?

Many tabs here on UG are marked with Easy, Intermediate, Expert, etc. Not all, but some.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by Shabadoo
Find Paul Gilbert, kill him, then eat his heart.

then cut off his hands and replace your hands with them!

And take his brain while your at it
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Don't stick to one style of music, learn all like Blues, Jazz, Classical, Pop, Soul, metal exc, exc, and practice. learn to improvise, theory can help but is not necessary almost everyone who plays guitar knows a little theory be it by ear or paper.
Last edited by DimeLvR at Sep 1, 2009,
Practice 10 hours a day like Steve the plank...

Or just learn some theory and some songs.
There is a beginners songs program in here where you can find easy/intermediate/hard songs
and The ultimate exercises thread where you can find exercises and songs to improve a certain technique.

Also Biga29 your text color hurts my eyes
Last edited by Waffleguy at Sep 1, 2009,
Practice
Theory
Improvising
Get a Teacher. Make sure he actually teaches something other than songs.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Get lucky and be at the right place at the right time and maybe you'll get in a band that will be big?

Thats the only way I think someone could go on to greatness. Most of the 10 hour/day theory shred nerds I know work at Guitar Center.
--Gear--

5 piece blonde sparkle Gretch drum kit

-Drummers need their own forum-
Quote by end0rance
and possibly play lead guitar.

A start would be learning to play the instrument....

On a serious note: practice practice practice. learn some theory, learn tons of songs (something i myself need to do), start writing your own stuff, play with others, play with backing tracks. and did i mention practice practice practice?

Quote by Phil Collins

Thats the only way I think someone could go on to greatness. Most of the 10 hour/day theory shred nerds I know work at Guitar Center.

Thats their problem. Where the **** are you going to get working at a massive retail chain. Just because it has something to do with music doesnt mean it will get you anywhere but a managment position if your lucky.

Half the people at the guitar center near me couldnt tell the difference between a guitar and a ukelale (i think i spelled that wrong)

"But th3y b0th haz str1ngs! rit3??"
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Last edited by Dragonis at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by Dragonis
A start would be learning to play the instrument....

On a serious note: practice practice practice. learn some theory, learn tons of songs (something i myself need to do), start writing your own stuff, play with others, play with backing tracks. and did i mention practice practice practice?

Thats their problem. Where the **** are you going to get working at a massive retail chain. Just because it has something to do with music doesnt mean it will get you anywhere but a managment position if your lucky.Half the people at the guitar center near me couldnt tell the difference between a guitar and a ukelale (i think i spelled that wrong)

"But th3y b0th haz str1ngs! rit3??"

And coincidentaly, most of the people that go to places like Berklee and other prestigous "music schools" almost inevitable end up working at Guitar Center because the "couldn't make it" being a real musician.
--Gear--

5 piece blonde sparkle Gretch drum kit

-Drummers need their own forum-