I'm new to this so correct me if I'm wrong.

If I understand correctly, you can't solo with any scale, it has to be in the same key as the backing track.

When I'm improvising, I like to solo over the rhythm under the solo of "Fade to Black". Is there any way to find what key this is in?

I don't know what key it's in, so I just play any box of the pentatonic scale that comes to mind. Is this wrong? Honestly, it all sounds good to me anyway.

If anybody could clear this up for me, I'd be very grateful.
Chinese Democracy is a great album, people need to get over Slash.

Proud fan of Pop, Rap, Rock, and Metal.
The key is whatever note the song resolves to. Figuring out whether it is major or major is quite easy by using the other notes. When improvising you don't necessarily have to limit yourself by only using notes in key. Improvising is improvising. You should what you hear.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Actually, Fade to black changes key. The intro is in B minor until the very last part of the first solo where he ascends in 8th notes-there it is A minor. The whole acoustic fingerpicked part is in A minor. It might change again later on, I think the outro solo is in B minor.
Quote by maidenfan15
When I'm improvising, I like to solo over the rhythm under the solo of "Fade to Black". Is there any way to find what key this is in?

How can you improvise without knowing the key? If it sounds good what you're saying, then obviously you're resolving to a certain note, let's say X. That one is the tonic of the key. Now drone a major and minor barré with the previous note (X) as a root. Which one sounds better? Now you have your key: X or Xm.
Last edited by deHufter at Sep 1, 2009,