Hey guys, i think this is the right area... but anyway, i just ordered John Petrucci's Rock Discipline book and DVD, probably because i think hes a great guitarist. I was just wondering what people thought of this package, and how it helped them to improve

thanks
"Sign your guitar? I'll sign your arse if you want me to!" - Herman Li, at a guitar clinic in Malaysia

Quote by ShredFlame
Hey guys, i think this is the right area... but anyway, i just ordered John Petrucci's Rock Discipline book and DVD, probably because i think hes a great guitarist. I was just wondering what people thought of this package, and how it helped them to improve

thanks

I thought the DVD was meh. The book is okay, but I thought Wild Stringdom (collection of his Guitar World columns) was more informative. Both kind of pale in comparison to MAB's videos.
DVD is pretty good but it's intimidating for him to go from slow to hyper speed on a lick to save time. I regularly look at the booklet, the warm up exercises really helped and so did the alternate picking and chord section.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
I dont know about the book, but the DVD is pretty good. He does jump from slow to hyper speed but he's giving you exercises on how to build the requisite techniques naturally and properly.
Quote by evolucian
The book and the dvd are very informative. MAB sucks.

+1
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Both aren't that good. The only informative bit i found was the small bit at the back about chord formation. The rest is just bland exercises which you could make up yourself.

I however hate petruccis soloing and find it mechanical and boring, so i might be a bit biased.

Get a Gilbert one instead.
ok guys ive also heard stuff about guthrie govans creative "something" 1 and 2 what about this? and thanks x
"Sign your guitar? I'll sign your arse if you want me to!" - Herman Li, at a guitar clinic in Malaysia

lol griff, same can be said for gilbert. Except Gilbert is even colder than Petrucci. He has no taste and its soulless
Guthrie is very informative... he's down to earth and tells it like it is. Get them instead of the rest mentioned here. Apologies for the double post
Quote by evolucian
lol griff, same can be said for gilbert. Except Gilbert is even colder than Petrucci. He has no taste and its soulless

Thats a matter of opinion, i'll admit, nothing gilberts done ever makes me say "phwoar that was a nice note", yet he is a good rock guitarist and makes good songs. Petrucci sounds like everything he plays is an exercise.
Quote by griffRG7321
Petrucci sounds like everything he plays is an exercise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0SRftEwOKw
I don't know how you can hate that =S

BTW: Guthrie Govan Creative Guitar both part 1 and 2 are amazing!!!!
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
Last edited by Kurai X at Sep 1, 2009,
I like the parody stuff on Youtube for Petrucci and Vai. I was crying with laughter.

On a serious note, I checked that DVD out from the library and cannot recommend it to anyone. Nothing really decent on there that will help you out.