Hey I've been thinking about upgrading my marshall mg50dfx. It was good for a while as a beginner's amp but now I'm starting to gig more, Im not quite satisfied with my tone...

Im playing a Gibson Les Paul studio, all hardware and electronics stock. I like the feel and stuff of this so I dont wanna change this too much.

I've been played 2 years in september, My band plays a range of songs and styles from black sabbath to guns n roses and nirvana to some cleaner songs too.

I'd like it to have some good and versatile distortion on it for some killer leads but also a nice warm clean tone too.

Budget's upto about £500 but could stretch further. Was thinking maybe some form of tube amp?

TL;DR: Need new amp, versatile and under £500.
Laney LC30
Peavey Classic 30
Hayden Mofo + cab
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Marshall DSL
You can pick up most Marshalls online for quite cheap. JCM800's and 900's also sell for under your budget.

Line 6 Spider Valve
These are being retailed at very low prices because I believe they are being replaced with a newer model.

Bugera 333
I haven't personally played this amp, but it's supposed to be quite good, if a little unreliable.

Mesa Boogie F30
These are nice amps that can picked up second hand within your price range.

The Hayden Mofo is an amp to look into. I've been tempted by it for a long time, but they are hard to come by and they are brand new so may have problems. The one review I've read wasn't overly wonderful.

Laney GH50L
These sound very British and can be bought on ebay and such for under your price range. But you will need a cabinet and it may push your limit. It's certainly worth it, though.

Peavey Classic 30/50
As suggested, these are great amps for the money. Not particularly awesome sounding, a little thin and lacklustre, but still awesome for what you're paying.
Cool thanks for the help guys, Im gonna go to my guitar shop some time and try out a marshall DSL401.

Any more suggestions?
i think you can probably get a TSL 100 used for your price range.

here is the aformentioned MOFO,

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/40680-hayden-amplifiers-mofo.html/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base

theyre made in england, so theyre much easier to find over here.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Last edited by Silver-spear94 at Sep 1, 2009,
I like the look of that Hayden, but I havent got a cab to plug it into... Cant use that MG as a speaker could I?
Quote by jesus the strat
I like the look of that Hayden, but I havent got a cab to plug it into... Cant use that MG as a speaker could I?

You might be able to, actually. Some combo amps connect the internal speaker to a speaker out on the back of the amp. Check it out.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by willT08
Why were you playing a Gibson Studio through an MG in the first place?

The guitar was an impulse buy... Only went in for strings that day and walked out with a Gibson. Bizarre no?!