Well, I'm going to be honest, I hate them. I bought this Ibanez RGR421EXFM >THIS, in blue. < about a month ago and I love everything about it except the pickups.
I dont even know how to describe what i dislike about them, it sounds too tame I guess.
[MusiciansFriend says list price is $599 but the long&mcquade price tag said the list price was $750... I paid $415 because of an inventory clearoff sale down here in Nova Scotia.]

Anywho, I'm rambling, I have a $500 Yamaha RGX121Z that I paid like $250 for that has a lot better tone than my brand new $750 Ibanez, is this normal?

What I really came here for was not to diss V7/V8 pickups, but rather to ask suggestions of what new pickups I should get to replace these, I want to stay passive [something similar to what would be in the yamaha]
So please, throw up any recommendations, I'll look at prices afterwards, cause I should be able to make the money.
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
if you have a solid state amp, dimarzio's will sound almost identical (only a few models will really give you a big difference) other than being clearer, the tone is pretty similar (different, but not by enough to justify getting them). I'd say a good pair of duncans would be fine. If you play metal though, active is really the best way to go, whatever worries you have about going active, throw them away.

and yes it's normal for a cheaper guitar to sound better than a good ibanez because ibanez uses really bad stock pickups (when they don't use dimarzio's)

Over every type of pickup i would choose EMG-X pickups. I hype them a lot because they're phenomenal. Hard chrunchy tone with a rolled back top end (but still good for soloing), great versatility and super clean.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Last edited by SPBY at Sep 1, 2009,
I have a friend who also has an RGR421 and he changed both pickups to Seymour Duncan P-Rails. He did all the switching mods also - see their website.

Now the RGR421 can sound like a bunch of different guitars. That is what he wanted, because he plays a wide variety of music. He uses finger style as well as flat-picking, and loves how the SD P-Rails really respond to subtle changes in style. The stock pickups were OK for some music, but not very good overall.
DiMarzio Crunchlab in the bridge, and a PAF PRO or something else with a nice amount of highs in the neck.
Quote by satchgear
I tried it out in store.

Great neck, nice n light, good tuning stability. Overall a good guitar. I didn't but it cause I generally only buy guitars over a grand now.
for recommendations can you tell us a little more about your set up and styles you like to play and bands you like
Gear:
Jackson SL1 !
Jackson SLS3 w/ bk warpig
ibanez RGA 121 with D sonic and paf pro
peavey triple X with JJ 6L6s and celestion G12k-100
bad monkey
mxr 10 band eq
digitech hardwire dl8
paul gilbert's airplane flanger
Quote by SPBY
if you have a solid state amp, dimarzio's will sound almost identical (only a few models will really give you a big difference) other than being clearer, the tone is pretty similar (different, but not by enough to justify getting them). I'd say a good pair of duncans would be fine. If you play metal though, active is really the best way to go, whatever worries you have about going active, throw them away.

Wut?

Dimarzio's do not sound identical whatsoever. The Tone Zone (bass and mid emphasis) has a completely different tone than the Super Distortion (a wide open PAF tone) which has a completely different tone than the Breed (rounded highs, pushed mids, tight bass) which has a completely different tone than the Evolution (bright highs, pushed mids, rounded bass), this could keep going on forever....

If you play Metal, there is a passive pup out there for you, you don't have to go active. I play Metalcore and Melodic Metal with my RG321, my Dimarzio Breeds have the tight bass and rounded highs I wanted to play metal but still gives me the clean tones I want to play Hendrix and The Black Keys. LoG uses SD JB and 59's, same with Gus G and their tone is effin' tight. If you don't play metal, I'd suggest going passive even more.

What style of music do you play?
What amp do you have?
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Wait till you've got the guitar, see what it sounds like, if you don't like something try to pinpoint what it is...THEN ask for pickup recommendations.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Wait till you've got the guitar, see what it sounds like, if you don't like something try to pinpoint what it is...THEN ask for pickup recommendations.

Hey steven, not to be a dick but...he already has the guitar.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
What amp are you using?

I own that model and the pickups are pretty damn good IMO. Neck pup could be smoother but the bridge has some awesome punch. I have thought of changing them to a jb/59 set (and probably will some time later on) but they're pretty decent pickups, especially in that model specifically (i think it's the mahogany body, because I played basswood RGs with them and they didn't sound as good).

EDIT: If you're still using the spider III 75w as it says in your profile, save up for a new amp, pickup changes won't do much at all and you will be disappointed.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Sep 2, 2009,
Thanks for all your help guys, i am still playing a ****ty amp, i get a great tone from my yamaha though, this guitar has a sweet lead tone, just no crunchy rhythms...
I'm into a bunch of different thrash bands but mainly megadeth/metallica, that's more of my playing style, I try to go for my own tone. I could do a comparison clip to show you the difference of what im talking about, infact I'm going to, give me 20 mins.

:EDIT: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Josher.K/music/all/play694305
every loop[8bars] the guitar switches [starting with yamaha]

on the last chord, the yamaha is mixed all the way left, the ibanez all the way right.
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Last edited by Josher.K at Sep 2, 2009,
I was wondering the same for my Ibanez RG3EXFM1, I love everything about the guitar, except the pickups. I'm thinking about replacing them with an EMG 60/81 combo, the 60 will give me the smoothness while the 81 will give me that extra crunch for overdriven stuff. Yes/No?