Um. Maybe you could try taking the ball out of the ball end of the string and slipping it onto the peg things? Never seen anything like that, but it sounds like it oculd work.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Picture of the whole thing?
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
here is the whole thing, its a little harp thing

the stringing arrangement is same both sides, IE that machined loop

Quote by David Collins
Is this what you were asking about - the loop with no ball end? I thought you were asking about the pin on the other side. No offense, but it honestly never occurred to me that it was the loop end you were asking about.

A loop end string - it's what almost every steel stringed instrument other than the guitar typically uses. Banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, autoharps, zithers, pianos and harpsichords - guitars are the odd ones out here with our fancy ball ends.

If all you have available is guitar strings you can clip the ball end off, but the loop that remains will be smaller than the one that comes on a normal loop end string, and may not easily fit over the head of the pins there. Just go get the appropriate size loop end string - any music store should have them for mandolins and banjos, even if they don't stock autoharp and dulcimer strings.

Ace post!

so i cant just do it myself with some pliers? I would have to get a set made specifically for this type of thingamibob?
Quote by David Collins
At the end with the tuner (nut and bolt) it looks like you'll just have to tie it off yourself there. I assume the strings are wrapped around the bolt and then hinged over the top side of the nut? Though turning the screw so it spins on the string can't be good for it, I guess it should suffice since the threads will pull it back at the same rate as the nut.

I actually have a pair of twist pliers (safety wire twisters) that I've attached a hook to for making my own loop ends, and makeshift lathe set up for making larger sets of wires (like a new full set of strings for a harpsichord). If you only have one or two to do though, you can do it by hand. I would slip the loop end on to the stationary post and stretch it across to the bolt (with the nut adjusted forward) to measure the length. Then pull the loop end off, and wrap the other end of the string (at the measured length) around a bolt or rod about the same diameter as the tuner bolts. Then clamp the 2 parts of the string coming around the rod snugly in a vise or set of pliers about 1/2"-3/4" away from the rod. When you twist the rod while pulling on it, you can fairly easily make your own loop at that end (you have to pull fairly tightly while turning, which is why it is easier if you can clamp the string in a vise).

Or you could probably get by just fine with hooking the loop end on the stationary post and then tying it off to the bolt on the other side before tightening it. Either way, if you can't get a really good, tightly twisted loop, it's a quick and easy reassurance to tin the wrapped section with a touch of solder to keep them from slipping. Really, any knot that doesn't slip will do fine, but a well twisted end looks a lot better.

much appreciated, you obviously know your stuff!!! The solder is a great idea. And the bottom part, the tuning bolt has two lateral lips which you loop over.. Now ive just gotta figure out what scale to tune it to!!