Hi guys

im looking for an amp (head+cab, no combo's). It doesn't have to have tubes. And it needs to be suited for both emo and hardcore (like mesa triple recti)

info:
Budget for head = 700 € MAX (preferably 500)
Current guitar = Strat copy with bridge humbucker (gonna change to an agile AL-3100 or an Cort EVL-X4 in the near future)
Wattage rather not to high, or an changeable wattage
volume on channels and a master volume

i would also be happy with a distortion/overdrive channel on the amp itself
Quote by steven seagull
Howver, Spider have pretty lights to keep kids with ADD occupied.

My gear:
Epi ZW Buzzsaw LP
Ibanez S7320
Yerasov Detonator 100W
Laney VC15
Line6 Floor Pod+
You could try a blackstar HT5 head with a cab of your choice, either one of the 1x12" blackstar cabs or a nice and inexpensive 2x12", like a Framus.

If you are very lucky, you could get a used Engl Screamer head for 500€ and a used Framus 2x12" for 200€, which would make a nice combination for what you want to do.

May I ask why you don't want a combo? You could get a used Engl Screamer combo for under 700€ easily.
Why do so many people say they want a stack only?
You're gonna miss out on so many GREAT amps by limiting yourself that way.

Head + Cab is not necessarily Better than Combo.

That said, have a look at the Blackstar Amps. Great line.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
i want a stack because my parents are divorced and i dont want to have to take a full combo with me

its easier to just put a cab at poth places and only transport the head
Quote by steven seagull

My gear:
Epi ZW Buzzsaw LP
Ibanez S7320
Yerasov Detonator 100W
Laney VC15
Line6 Floor Pod+
Quote by Luminate
i want a stack because my parents are divorced

best reason ever

Sorry to hear that though

I'd recommend the Blackstar HT-5 head with a decent 2x12, maybe an Orange

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Laney GH50L
Line 6 Spider Valve
Orange Dual Terror with Overdrive Pedal to give it more gain
Blackstar HT-5
Randall RH 50

You're quite limited with that price range and with only a head, although I understand your reasons why you've opted for one. Also, the Netherlands doesn't seem ot have the most functional used market.
netherlands sucks for music industry,

the biggest music stores got like 20-30 guitars max and just 1 or 2 above 700 euros

for a good shop and wide range i have to travel all the way to köln (germany, like 200km from where i live >.<
Quote by steven seagull

My gear:
Epi ZW Buzzsaw LP
Ibanez S7320
Yerasov Detonator 100W
Laney VC15
Line6 Floor Pod+
Quote by Chrisiphone
best reason ever

Sorry to hear that though

I'd recommend the Blackstar HT-5 head with a decent 2x12, maybe an Orange

Yeah, that is about the best reason I've ever heard....but that wouldn't stop me from lugging a combo around....But hey, it's your choice not mine..

+1 on the Blackstar HT-5

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
well the musicstore in my town is on a sale out run (closing in november) and there are still 3 stacks left (all with 30-40% off)

1. Line6 spider Valve with Line6 Cab
2. Line6 VettaII with Vetta Cab
3. Some ENGL but i dont know which model (should be around 1400 new) with ENGL cab

maybe i can get my dad to buy me one of these stacks and then buy an extra cab myself

EDIT: ow and my dad is standard customer there (he bought like a quarter of the store), so maybe if the guys there cant get rid of the amps my dad will buy them just to give them a hand

this is best case scenario so i wouldnt count on it
Quote by steven seagull

My gear:
Epi ZW Buzzsaw LP
Ibanez S7320
Yerasov Detonator 100W
Laney VC15
Line6 Floor Pod+
Last edited by Luminate at Sep 1, 2009,
The Spider Valve is a nice amp, the Vetta II is even better, and the ENGL I imagine is either the Blackmore, Fireball or Powerball, which are all in that price range. All great amps, although the Powerball isn't my cup of tea anymore.
One thing I forgot: You can get a used Engl Blackmore head for 700€. Look for them on German ebay, they're easy to find there. The Blackmore's a 100w head, but it sounds great at low volumes already, unlike many other valve heads.

Got cabs already?

EDIT: Basically what Goldfish said. Powerball might suit you but will be too expensive probably (even used), Fireball will be too much metal oriented, Blackmore should work fine for you (and is my favourite out of the three, anyway).
Last edited by TheQuailman at Sep 1, 2009,
i looked it up and its the fireball

i know it are all great amps

but are they also good for emo(core) ?
i got my doubts on the blackstar (which you guys will probably blame me for)
and i thought ENGL amps are best suited for higher than high gains
Quote by steven seagull

My gear:
Epi ZW Buzzsaw LP
Ibanez S7320
Yerasov Detonator 100W
Laney VC15
Line6 Floor Pod+
Fireball is heavy rock and metal only (imo), Powerball is more versatile, but still focuses on metal/metalcore/numetal, Blackmore is more versatile and has a more old-school tone (like a hot rodded Marshall).

Out of the three, the Powerball and Blackmore could work for you, with the Blackmore being the better option probably and also the cheaper one.

Blackstar HT5 is fine, but don't expect miracles from a 300€ head. It will do the styles you play though. Best to try it out of course.
what about a fame ecoline T120

fame seems to be a brand thats only sold by musicstore.com (which is settled in köln, closest big musicshop) and it's in about every category

i dont know if it's crap or if it's godly but very cheap because you wont pay for the brand
Quote by steven seagull

My gear:
Epi ZW Buzzsaw LP
Ibanez S7320
Yerasov Detonator 100W
Laney VC15
Line6 Floor Pod+
The few fame amps I tried were nice enough, but nothing spectacular. I haven't tried the ecoline models though. They're solid state, aren't they?

Do you have a chance to get to Cologne? They've got a pretty big selection of high gain amps at Musicstore, many of which could work for you.
musicstore is located in köln, i dont know if that is cologne or rhineland (im not really familiar with german provinces ), but that is really as far as i can go

and no the Ecoline T120H is a tube amp
Quote by steven seagull

My gear:
Epi ZW Buzzsaw LP
Ibanez S7320
Yerasov Detonator 100W
Laney VC15
Line6 Floor Pod+
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Laney GH50L
Line 6 Spider Valve
Orange Dual Terror with Overdrive Pedal to give it more gain
Blackstar HT-5
Randall RH 50

You're quite limited with that price range and with only a head, although I understand your reasons why you've opted for one. Also, the Netherlands doesn't seem ot have the most functional used market.

I'dd get one of these, except the Line 6 Spider Valve, i don't really like the sound of it imo, u might like it though
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
Quote by Luminate
musicstore is located in köln, i dont know if that is cologne or rhineland (im not really familiar with german provinces ), but that is really as far as i can go

and no the Ecoline T120H is a tube amp

Cologne is the English word for Köln. If you can go there, do so. There's Musicstore and Beyer's Music, both are worth a visit.
thanks for the info,

i'll keep the recommendations in mind, but i'll need some hearing first :P

and further,

would you guys advise to get a Cort EVL-X4 or a Agile AL-3100 w/ GFS bigmouth pickups for my birthday ?
Quote by steven seagull

My gear:
Epi ZW Buzzsaw LP
Ibanez S7320
Yerasov Detonator 100W
Laney VC15
Line6 Floor Pod+
Is there a European distributor for Agiles? If not you could import one through rondomusic of course, but you'd have to pay 27% import tax, which makes a considerable difference in price. In Europe, there's another copy brand named Vintage, they make mostly copies just like Agile; relatively cheap and all around solid. Good hardware, but the finishes sometimes have imperfections.
Emo and hardcore?

Laney AOR or a Peavey VTM.

EDIT: It just occured to me that we may be thinking of two completely different kinds of music..
Last edited by The_Bosstone at Sep 1, 2009,