somehow this i have been reading music for a while and forgot to ask why do they put those bars on top of music notes? such as triplets.
Quarter notes have no beams. They have only stems and note heads. If they are included in a triplet, there will usually be a small bracket (not connected to the notes) with a 3 over it. Sometimes, you will see 3:2 instead of a 3. They mean the same thing.

Eighth notes and faster (sixteenth notes, thirty-second notes, etc.) are beamed together. The more you subdivide, the more beams they get (eighth notes get one beam, sixteenth gets two beams, etc.). These beams literally connect the notes by touching them. To denote a tuplet, a number (i.e. 3 for a triplet) or ratio (5:4, 3:2, etc.) will be written above or below the beams.

Is this what you were talking about?
Quote by timeconsumer09
Quarter notes have no beams. They have only stems and note heads. If they are included in a triplet, there will usually be a small bracket (not connected to the notes) with a 3 over it. Sometimes, you will see 3:2 instead of a 3. They mean the same thing.

Eighth notes and faster (sixteenth notes, thirty-second notes, etc.) are beamed together. The more you subdivide, the more beams they get (eighth notes get one beam, sixteenth gets two beams, etc.). These beams literally connect the notes by touching them. To denote a tuplet, a number (i.e. 3 for a triplet) or ratio (5:4, 3:2, etc.) will be written above or below the beams.

Is this what you were talking about?

yes that is what i am talking about, i know that the 3 with curve on top of eighth notes mean what i am asking is the shaded in bar. Is it just for looks? did they decide that if it were singly it would look messy?

p.s. don't click killahsquirrel's link it has trojan virus, but i deleted it when i got it.
Last edited by DisSatisfaction at Sep 1, 2009,
I dunno the official reason, but notes are generally grouped together into beats - so if you're in common time quavers will be paired, semi-quavers will be grouped in 4's, triplet-quavers will be in groups of 3 - it makes it much easier to read the rhythm, and see where the accents would naturally fall. Especially as you get more fluent at reading - the same as with reading a book, you don't look at one note at a time - you look at a few notes or a phrase at a time, and logical groupings make that much easier to do.
Quote by DisSatisfaction

p.s. don't click killahsquirrel's link it has trojan virus, but i deleted it when i got it.

I made sure my virus checker was up-to-date. I clicked on the link. No indication of a virus. Were you able to delete it from the link itself somehow?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
@Axeman
It's probably his security software. There are 2 (rather popular...sadly enough) forms that find many forms of Javascript and Jquery a "trojan" although it's only a certain command to let the JS/Jquery proceed faster.

I forget the names by heart, but I learned of them after moderating a free forum host site for a while. We always had members complaining of certain forums of ours having trojans, when it was really our coder (Streek Dime's) Javascript codes (the "packed" ones he started creating shortly before the many complaints) and upon removing the JS, the trojan alert was gone.

TL;DR
It's a good 99% chance it's really just Javascript/Jquery and they are using a poor Security Software.

Please add me if as a friend I helped! (I like to think I'm a friendly person)