I have a ec-1000 and i want a MH-1000
the ec-1000 guitar has active EMG-81/60 pickups
and the Mh-1000 has active EMG-81 humbucker at the bridge and an 85 at the neck
so my question is which one has a better metal sound? or overall better for nice cleans?
the 60 IMO

but do the 18v mod so youi can get better cleans, well not really better cleans but the 18v mod gives you much more warmer tone
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Sep 1, 2009,
the 60 is commonly seen used playing rythem guitar whilst the 85 is commonly found playing lead, if you're after good cleans then get the 60
They're both pretty good just get the 60 though, simply because Kirk Hammett uses this setup and he's the lead guitarist of Metallica. Sorry quite a nooby reason I know, but you can trust him because he gets an awesome tone.

EDIT: Most active pickups are powered by 9v batteries. The 18v mod basically forces 18v into them to supposedly make them sound better.
Gear:
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Ibanez RGR321ex
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by falconthefirst at Sep 1, 2009,
but the reason i was wondering is beacuse the mh-1000 everybody says get the ec-1000 but the mh-1000 has easier reach for the neck
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
the 60 IMO

but do the 18v mod so youi can get better cleans

Have you tried the 18v mod? Do you know the difference between the 85 and 60?

Quote by Ari.Macbeth57
60 for the cleans?
is the 85 not good?

Both the 85 and 60 are perfectly viable. I have the 85 in my schecter, and the 60 in my LTD and honestly the difference isn't that big. The 60 is a bit more sparkly and the 85 is a bit warmer sounding.

Quote by britishsligean
the 60 is commonly seen used playing rythem guitar whilst the 85 is commonly found playing lead, if you're after good cleans then get the 60

Actually both are mostly used in metal guitars, and in such cases you would use the 81 for your standard rhythm/leads and the 85 or 60 for your cleans and leads.

I too would favor the 60 for cleans.

Quote by falconthefirst
They're both pretty good just get the 60 though, simply because Kirk Hammett uses this setup and he's the lead guitarist of Metallica. Sorry quite a nooby reason I know, but you can trust him because he gets an awesome tone.

EDIT: Most active pickups are powered by 9v batteries. The 18v mod basically forces 18v into them to supposedly make them sound better.

Kirk Hammett live doesn't really sound that great imo. This is just a matter of taste though. Also, most of the tone comes from the amps.

The 18v mod will give the pickup a bit more headroom, which improves clarity a bit. There's numerous threads on this, searchbar.

Quote by Ari.Macbeth57
but the reason i was wondering is beacuse the mh-1000 everybody says get the ec-1000 but the mh-1000 has easier reach for the neck

I've owned both guitars. The mh to me is far more comfortable to play, not just because of the neck but mostly because of the bridge location. The EC has the bridge closer to the neck so I was constantly hitting the pickups with my pick.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Sep 1, 2009,