Page 1 of 2
Are you the sort of person who can write a well structured and good sounding song? Or a person that can come up with an amazing riff or solo on the spot?

I'm not, and it really bothers me, I have no creativity when it comes to playing the guitar.

Also what methods do you use to come up with riffs or songs? For ex jamming sessions or sitting down making the song yourself?
I like to think so, but I go through dry patches. I have little bits from literally 9 years ago that I haven't found a place for, but I also wrote a kickass song last week in about 2 hours, for all instruments in my band, and fully arranged, with a vocal melody.
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
Yes. I'm ****ing amazing.

We must share some awesome DNA or something.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
I like to think so, but I go through dry patches. I have little bits from literally 9 years ago that I haven't found a place for, but I also wrote a kickass song last week in about 2 hours, for all instruments in my band, and fully arranged, with a vocal melody.

Do you have a link to any of your bands stuff? You seem really passionate about it and I think if I give you praise I may be unbannable so...
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I'm creative. The only problem is that I find no song to put the riffs into.
DeVillains!
It seems to me that whenever I have to write a song then I can do alright, but when I'm not trying it's usually complete sh*t. I come up with random riffs that sound good sometimes, but when I write something for music class then that's usually my best work.
Nah, I just rip off Agalloch, At The Gates and The Cure.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I'm fairly creative. I can't just churn an amazing song at any point I want to. But I get into creative moods where I can write full length peices, and I generally come up with a lot of riffs when i'm messing around. I generally find the more I just mess around on my guitar/bass and just have fun the more likely I am to come up with a cool riff that I can turn into a full song. So i'm fairly confident with this kinda stuff ... just wish I could record it decently.
Quote by Duffman123
Are you the sort of person who can write a well structured and good sounding song? Or a person that can come up with an amazing riff or solo on the spot?

I'm not, and it really bothers me, I have no creativity when it comes to playing the guitar.

Also what methods do you use to come up with riffs or songs? For ex jamming sessions or sitting down making the song yourself?

1. Make an awesome riff
2. Find intro for said riff
3. Ham around in the key of said riff
4. Solo
5. Outro in same key...

My songs are awesome and only follow that formula (with maybe solos spotted here and there)
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
I can make riffs, but it's hard to make a song. I can also hear solo's in my head, but I am either never able to play them becasue of lack of skill or because I don't know what notes they are. I'm the type of person who is creative when they don't need or try to be.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I think i can. I've written a song for GCSE music, i can write cool riffs, but i have never worked on a full song afterwards due to not having any recording gear.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
I find it easier to write at night. I don't think I've actually ever started a new piece in the daytime. I can still write, but anything I write during the day I usually dislike.

I usually come up with one idea, then develop that idea.
I am creative, and have found a few places for riffs i've come up with. when i'm in practice with my band, Societal Shift (myspace.com/societalshift) i just improvise using different modes till i find something i or another band member likes.

the best way imo to write a song is getting together with like minded players and pool ideas until you have a finished product. however, i have taken full songs to them and we play them live now
My creativity comes in big chunks at a time and then dies out and I have to look for inspiration by listening to music or reading books and articles or watching movies or whatever. Because of that, most of my songs are only about halfway done but that halfway is still pretty impressive imo. If im working with another person though i finish songs, because when my well runs dry they chip in a lot of useful ideas and make up for immensely for my lack of creativity.

The method i use isnt quite a method. Because I live in an area more or less devoid of musicians (Saudi Arabia ) I rarely get to jam with anyone often. So I usually sit at home playing guitar most of the time and sometimes I hear an interesting melody in my head, and i figure it out on guitar, put it in guitar pro and see where it goes, adding riff after riff. At first I didn't have too much structure but in time, I organized it as Intro - Verse- Chorus blah blah. I like progressive music so I do deviate from that pattern sometimes, but not too much because unlike proper progressive artists, my music ends up just sounding confused and going in circles.
I wrote two songs for GCSE music, and one had a kickass riff and an epic keyboard solo. Trouble is that it's not finished yet, and it's my coursework.

Casually, I'm pretty creative I guess. My DigiTech JamMan helps no end. I just think of a neat little backing riff, then squeeze a melodic line or two from the key, and then it all just goes from there. Unfortunately I never seem to be able to create good songs, only little bits, but I'm perservering.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
I'd like to think so. I tend to work creatively much better when I'm playing with other people.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
I come up with awesome parts of songs in my head, with all the instruments, completely randomly.

But there's no way of recording from my brain, so they mostly get forgotten .

When I'm listening to a guitar riff or something like that a bassline usually forms itself in my head.

So I guess I am, but I'm nothing special I don't think.

stratkat
I think I'm quite creative, and I'm getting more creative each day.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
I don't know how you guys can translate a melody from your head to the guitar. I find it very difficult
Quote by Duffman123
I don't know how you guys can translate a melody from your head to the guitar. I find it very difficult

Well, I was born practically deaf (Was missing an ear drum in my right ear), so when I learnt, I learnt through theory. I kinda "see" a melody as opposed to hear it. ONce it's down, I give it an actual listen and change things. But in the beginning, melody and song writing is a visual thing for me.
Quote by Duffman123

I try to slow the melody down, then try to ask myself what key it's in... Once I find the first note of the melody, I'm good, because I can "hear" the intervals in my head...

P.S. this bugged me: why have named yourself Duffman123 and have a pic of the duffman as your avatar, then have a link to the family guy group in your sig? Why not the Duffman group?
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Last edited by Dream Floyd at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by Dream Floyd
I try to slow the melody down, then try to ask myself what key it's in... Once I find the first note of the melody, I'm good, because I can "hear" the intervals in my head...

P.S. this bugged me: why have named yourself Duffman123 and have a pic of the duffman as your avatar, then have a link to the family guy group in your sig? Why not the Duffman group?

Lol I didn't know there was a Duffman group. Also my nick name is Duffman because my last name is Duffy, so I usually call myself Duffman for Usernames. Also, I love Family Guy
I don't write stuff on the guitar. I don't like judging myself, but I have links to my songs in my sig (Cap'n Crunch preferable)...
Yea, I kick ass

Edit: I guess it's time for a shameless statement...

Rate and comment songs on my profile and i'll return the favor.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Sep 1, 2009,
i let people listen to the music on my profile and judge for themselves

was the purpose of this to wh0re my music out?

yes, yes it was
I try :/ The fact that I don't know how to write partitures really slow my progress :c
not one bit
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Sometimes I can write/improvise an awesome two-minute solo without stopping; that rarely happens, though.

Most of the time I play five-second riffs.
i just kinda hear everything in my head and then just translate it to my guitar
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Page 1 of 2