I don't understand it. Ever since I've first come here it seems like the general consensus here was that nu metal<"real" metal and that it just generally sucks. This turned me off to any band that was labeled "nu-metal" by wikipedia for awhile.

But now I'm really starting to like it. Bands like Godsmack, Slipknot or Drowning Pool are pretty awesome, and I don't understand what's so bad about them. Anyone care to enlighten me?

It could just be that people here like super heavy music. I'm not a true metal head by any means(the heaviest band on my iPod is Metallica/Iron Maiden lol).
I don't get it either. People judge and hate on music they don't like. It's always been like that.

...But when all is said: Music is subjective.
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
I think people just want to feel superior to you, and think that anything mainstream is bad, and generally Nu-Metal is more mainstream.

They'll give you other reasons, but that's it.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Nothing wrong with nu-metal. Catchy music is catchy music. Plus, Deftones are amazing.
/thread
Personally I find the genre derivative and juvenile, and the behaviour of a certain red capped cunt during the nu metal era did a lot to damage metal's credibility as a genre

EDIT: I like KoRn's early work and most of the Deftones back catalog
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
It's not 'real'? I don't know, I don't listen to metal. In fact, I don't even know why I entered this thread.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Nothing wrong with nu-metal. Catchy music is catchy music. Plus, Deftones are amazing.

One love for Chi.
A poor guitarist for two years' gear:
Dean Vendetta XM
Roland Microcube

Getting/Saving up for:
Jackson Dinky MG Series (Transparent Red)
B-52 AT 112 - Amp choice still deciding but I have about $140 towards an amp.
The same reason for the hate on Metalcore?

I think it's b/c it's not a sub-genre of metal but it's a sort of reinvention of metal and they like the way it's been already so why change it?
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag

Quote by Dopey_Trout
Personally I find the genre derivative and juvenile, and the behaviour of a certain red capped cunt during the nu metal era did a lot to damage metal's credibility as a genre

Personally, I don't give a monkey's about "musioc politics" and just concentrate on the music. So what if others have a poor opinion about x because of y? Shouldn't affect you.
i don't pick sub-genres to hate... I hate all metal equally...

*gets Flame Shield*
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Last edited by Mr.Cuddles at Sep 1, 2009,
because they don't know how to spell
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by 1The_Trooper1
You like what you like. Genres =/= definition of musical quality.
Oh I know. Now I tend not to care what other people think before I listen to a band, but I was just curious.
Because of Limp Bizkit. They give the genre a bad name. Slipknot, Korn, Deftones and Godsmack are amazing, but Limp Bizkit are the seen as the figureheads, and seeing as they are f***ing rubbish, the genre is seen as rubbish.

I really don't like Limp Bizkit. No band should be named after a game involving homoeroticism and snack foods.

F**k Limp Bizkit...
Quote by Myfirstpubes
because its not cool to like nu-metal

and here you have it my good sir. its called conformity and its a bitch. you conform or spend the rest of your life as a reject, failure and alone. which means hating nu-metal with a fiery hot passion that consumes you.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Personally, I don't give a monkey's about "musioc politics" and just concentrate on the music. So what if others have a poor opinion about x because of y? Shouldn't affect you.

It doesn't affect me personally, I just don't like being generalised. People can like the genre if they want, it doesn't affect me in any way and I wouldn't stop them even if I had the power to. It just gets a little grating sometimes to see a lot of metal and metal listeners being generalised because of a small percentage of listeners

The actual music doesn't really bother me, I can't stand Limp Bizkit but am partial to Deftones as I said
Quote by fleajr_1412

Quote by guitarhero_764
I don't understand it. Ever since I've first come here it seems like the general consensus here was that nu metal<"real" metal and that it just generally sucks. This turned me off to any band that was labeled "nu-metal" by wikipedia for awhile.

But now I'm really starting to like it. Bands like Godsmack, Slipknot or Drowning Pool are pretty awesome, and I don't understand what's so bad about them. Anyone care to enlighten me?

It could just be that people here like super heavy music. I'm not a true metal head by any means(the heaviest band on my iPod is Metallica/Iron Maiden lol).

its because most of the 'nu metal' bands could be more correctly labelled as hard rock.
(i think)
Quote by SilentHeaven109
Because of Limp Bizkit. They give the genre a bad name. Slipknot, Korn, Deftones and Godsmack are amazing, but Limp Bizkit are the seen as the figureheads, and seeing as they are f***ing rubbish, the genre is seen as rubbish.

I really don't like Limp Bizkit. No band should be named after a game involving homoeroticism and snack foods.

F**k Limp Bizkit...

The musicians in Limp Bizkit aren't too bad. Yes, Fred Durst can be an asshat, blah blah blah, but actually listen to the musicians. Wes Borland is a very unique player.

Quote by Dopey_Trout
It doesn't affect me personally, I just don't like being generalised. People can like the genre if they want, it doesn't affect me in any way and I wouldn't stop them even if I had the power to. It just gets a little grating sometimes to see a lot of metal and metal listeners being generalised because of a small percentage of listeners

It happens with fans of every genre of music. I accepted that, and once I did, I enjoyed listening to music more, for some reason. I no longer felt weird about being generalised, because everyone is.
WAR FOR TERRITORY!!!!!!....

Nah srsly though, you cant really believe anything you hear about music,
until you've heard it yourself, just how it is...

You like what you choose to like, not what everyone else likes...
(Unless youre like one of those uber cool scensters....)

I'm not reading anymore of this thread, this is all you have to know, OP.
Quote by kwidjibo1
oh really? i didnt know children of bodom were better than a band far more famous and popular than them, cheers for the update

Quote by Mr.Maccy
Your from the states. I end my case.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Wes Borland is a very unique player.

I know how good Wes Borland is. He played onstage at Tokyo Dome with X Japan, that earns a bit of respect from me. I just don't like him because he's a hypocrite and a sellout. After he left Limp Bizkit, he actually did a Top 5 feature in Kerrang about his top 5 worst Limp Bizkit songs, where he basically said how s**t Limp Bizkit were, and how some hip hop producer write Rollin for them and he just went along for the money. Now, an opportunity to rejoin Limp Bizkit comes up, and he does it, even though he hates the music.

That, to me, is the ultimate definition of a sell out.
i swear, there's always a "why all the hate on ____?" thread every 5 minutes. go fap to something instead of wasting your time.
"take your form
be my fear, be my hope
be the indication
if i'm right or wrong

take your most dreadful form
and let it be known"
he provided assurance
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It happens with fans of every genre of music. I accepted that, and once I did, I enjoyed listening to music more, for some reason. I no longer felt weird about being generalised, because everyone is.

Good point, guess I just get pissed off with people expecting and sometimes demanding I like a certain band because I wear black and have long hair
Quote by fleajr_1412

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Or maybe he was bitter about an arguement between him and Durst, decidedto badmouth the band, and then made up with his old friend and went back to something he actually enjoyed amidst the bullsh*t? We don't know.

But if he actually liked the bands music, surely he wouldn't put down the music, you're not giving him much credit if you think he said, "I never liked the band anyway," just to annoy Durst. If he was truly proud of his time in Limp Bizkit he would have stood by the songs, not gotten his own feature in a magazine to tell everyone how bad they were.

And besides, if he wanted to annoy Durst, putting something in a magazine is not the right way to go, as it is common knowledge that Durst cannot read, as he is actually a shaved monkey.
Quote by SilentHeaven109
But if he actually liked the bands music, surely he wouldn't put down the music, you're not giving him much credit if you think he said, "I never liked the band anyway," just to annoy Durst. If he was truly proud of his time in Limp Bizkit he would have stood by the songs, not gotten his own feature in a magazine to tell everyone how bad they were.

And besides, if he wanted to annoy Durst, putting something in a magazine is not the right way to go, as it is common knowledge that Durst cannot read, as he is actually a shaved monkey.

People do odd or stupid things when pissed off, it's natural. I know I've said things that I've regretted saying about things I've done just to get back at someone, music related and non-music related. I think it'd be a safe bet that a lot of people have done the same.
Quote by SilentHeaven109
I know how good Wes Borland is. He played onstage at Tokyo Dome with X Japan, that earns a bit of respect from me. I just don't like him because he's a hypocrite and a sellout. After he left Limp Bizkit, he actually did a Top 5 feature in Kerrang about his top 5 worst Limp Bizkit songs, where he basically said how s**t Limp Bizkit were, and how some hip hop producer write Rollin for them and he just went along for the money. Now, an opportunity to rejoin Limp Bizkit comes up, and he does it, even though he hates the music.

That, to me, is the ultimate definition of a sell out.

That is quite the **** up as a human being. DAMN, I can't believe he's doing it. That is selling out in its hardest level.
I've gotten a lot of LOLs in my time but I choose not to sig them to not look like a pretentious douchebag