I have been working on tremolo picking for the past week and I can get most of the way through misrilou cleanly at tempo, but something has occurred to me. I think I am doing it wrong.

When I am trem picking on the low E I have my hand off the guitar and I am pivoting on my elbow. It is pretty easy and i can get very fast this way, but when I switch to the high e i have to rest my palm on the strings and I pivot at the wrist. I figure that only one of these ways is correct and I must be doing it wrong. As far as picking goes I am good, I have a 45 degree angle of attack and it flows smooth except on string transitions where my start can be rough.

So, my question is two fold;

Am I supposed to anchor my hand? And on the low E where should I anchor it?
And am I supposed to use my elbow or wrist?

I have also had trouble with gallop picking, but my guess is that as soon as I figure this out galloping will come too.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
pretty much whatever works for you is fine, if you hit a snag you will have to change, but the generally accepted method for fast picking is to pivot you're wrist not elbow.

and by gallop picking if you mean the triplets separated by rests (or something like 2 16th's and an 8th) for that the general method for picking is a downstroke then up then down, down, up, down, down, up, down, etc.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
I'm using gallop as a blanket term for the rhythm breakdowns you see in metal that have trem picking in them. dun dun dugagadun dun dun dugadgadun. If that makes any sense. I cant switch from regular down strokes to the burst of trem picking and back and keep rhythm while muting the strings. It always sounds like crap.

Where should I anchor my hand if I am trem picking on the lower strings? On the high strings i just let my hand mute the other strings and use the as an anchor, but that doesn't work for the E A and D.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Quote by Zmatt
I have been working on tremolo picking for the past week and I can get most of the way through misrilou cleanly at tempo, but something has occurred to me. I think I am doing it wrong.

When I am trem picking on the low E I have my hand off the guitar and I am pivoting on my elbow. It is pretty easy and i can get very fast this way, but when I switch to the high e i have to rest my palm on the strings and I pivot at the wrist. I figure that only one of these ways is correct and I must be doing it wrong. As far as picking goes I am good, I have a 45 degree angle of attack and it flows smooth except on string transitions where my start can be rough.

So, my question is two fold;

Am I supposed to anchor my hand? And on the low E where should I anchor it?
And am I supposed to use my elbow or wrist?

I have also had trouble with gallop picking, but my guess is that as soon as I figure this out galloping will come too.

The bolded points are things you're doing wrong.

DO NOT pick from your elbow. It creates tension and will inhibit you in the long run.
DO NOT rest your hand on the strings (or bridge, for that matter). Again, it creates tension and will inhibit you in the long run. Your hand can TOUCH the strings or bridge (most people do this for muting purposes) as long as you can always move your hand freely across them without having to lift your hand (i.e. they will graze the strings, but not drag across them).

DO pick from your wrist. Tremolo picking is only regular picking at a faster speed. You should be moving your wrist. That's it. Maybe a little elbow if you're changing lots of strings. But the picking motion should come from your wrist.
DO practice this slowly. You won't be able to do this right off the bat. Bring your picking speed down and get the technique. Sloppy playing at slow speeds means fast slop at fast speeds.
I dont think you should be pivoting at the elbow. You need to use the elbow and the wrist in one motion.

...and whats bad about putting you hand on the strings? Thats muting...unless you mean you are actually putting weight there?

And no, you shouldn't be "anchoring" your hand anywhere.
you shouldn't "anchor" but keeping your wrist on the guitar is fine, just move it when you need to, dont keep it only in one place when you play. basically just palm mute, and lift off when you dont need to mute. Also, it sounds like you're problem is alternate picking as a whole not just doing those techniques.

if you're used to just down picking, just practice alternate picking and keeping time a little before you move on.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
ok, after further inspection I don't think i am using my elbow. I laid my arm on a table and tried trem picking and my arm didn't budge so I think it's just shaking from the fast picking and it looks like it's moving. It takes such small movements it's hard foe me to know.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

The basic concept is to pick the string with as little movement as possible, ensuring you get an equal pick on the upstroke and downstroke. Just start slow and speed up like any other technique on guitar, ensuring consistency before you speed up.

just using wrist as well
Last edited by philm87 at Sep 1, 2009,