Hey guys, I just put .11-.54's on my EC-1000, and I tuned it C Standard.

I was just wondering what you guys thought of this, and if you know any artists who play in C Standard/Drop B. I know Parkway Drive does, but that's about it.

I'm also going to get a 7 String, and I was starting to think it might have been kinda useless to put those on my EC/Tune it that low.

Opinions?
machine head
Gear:
Ibanez S470 BK with a Dimarzio Evo in bridge
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
click the advanced button next to the song/band search bar on the UG homepage and search for songs in those tunings.

btw, you know that dropping the low C in C standard a full step would take you to drop Bb right?

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
click the advanced button next to the song/band search bar on the UG homepage and search for songs in those tunings.

btw, you know that dropping the low C in C standard a full step would take you to drop Bb right?

I thought it would just be B. I usually only played anywhere from E Standard-Drop C, so I just figured C Standard/Drop B would follow the same case. So, if that's true... Dropping my C wouldn't get me as low as a 7 string? I know a & strings tuning is BEADGBE, but I didn't know if a 6 String in B Standard was the same or not

I'm not use to thinking this low
6 string B standard is B E A D F# B.

there is no Cb/B# so dropping the low c a full step would be drop Bb, which is lower than a standard 7 string.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
6 string B standard is B E A D F# B.

there is no Cb/B# so dropping the low c a full step would be drop Bb, which is lower than a standard 7 string.

Oh... Thanks for clearing that up for me! Now that I know that, I don't need a 7 String. I can just down-tune my low C

Problem is though, the Low C (Bb) gets a but loose for my tastes, so is there a set like Skinny Top/Heavy Bottoms, but for lower gauges, like an .11-.56, or something like that?
. . and 11's arnt really gonna cut the mustard on a 24.75 scale guitar

any what check out the black dahlia murder, in flames, machine made god, dissection, nightrage and sybreed (although they play in the dropped version Bb)

and btw you seriously need to brush up on the most basic theory if you thought dropped C standard was B
ENGL E530 pre amp
Marshall 8008 power amp
Vox Night train 1x12 cab

Dean Razorback V

Major Gas for an esp/ltd eclipse
I use 13-56 for D standard. I believe you're going to need heavier strings.
Quote by hsteve3
I use 13-56 for D standard. I believe you're going to need heavier strings.

That's... Sounds like it would be tight. I have .11-.54's in C Standard, and its moves just enough, but not too much, and I enjoy it.

Quote by awesomehamish
. . and 11's arnt really gonna cut the mustard on a 24.75 scale guitar

any what check out the black dahlia murder, in flames, machine made god, dissection, nightrage and sybreed (although they play in the dropped version Bb)

and btw you seriously need to brush up on the most basic theory if you thought dropped C standard was B

Why aren't they going to cut it on a 24.75"?

And by Dropped C Standard, I take it you just mean C Standard? I assumed that's what it was if you dropped, because it's what E Standard/Drop D, D Standard/Drop C does. And we all know what happens when you assume. Yeah, my bad. I skipped learning super low tunings like this because I thought I wouldn't tune that low, But I was wrong.
Last edited by SMB13 at Sep 1, 2009,
God tunes to C# most of the time these days

Gear:
Morpheus Droptune
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Bugera 333xl 212
SCHECTER JEFF LOOMIS C7 FR
Quote by SMB13
That's... Sounds like it would be tight. I have .11-.54's in C Standard, and its moves just enough, but not too much, and I enjoy it.

Why aren't they going to cut it on a 24.75"?

And by Dropped C Standard, I take it you just mean C Standard? I assumed that's what it was if you dropped, because it's what E Standard/Drop D, D Standard/Drop C does. And we all know what happens when you assume. Yeah, my bad. I skipped learning super low tunings like this because I thought I wouldn't tune that low, But I was wrong.

they're going to be floppy and you will loose definition at high gain

and by dropped C standard i mean drop A#

and this isnt a lesson in tunings, its baisic knowledge every guitarist should know there is only a semi-tone from C to B
ENGL E530 pre amp
Marshall 8008 power amp
Vox Night train 1x12 cab

Dean Razorback V

Quote by devit

Nergal

Behemoth's Nergal? He plays a 7 String though. At least, I thought he did. It shows him having an ESP 7 String on their site.

Quote by awesomehamish
they're going to be floppy and you will loose definition at high gain

and by dropped C standard i mean drop A#

and this isnt a lesson in tunings, its baisic knowledge every guitarist should know there is only a semi-tone from C to B

They're not really that floppy though. They move just enough to feel good, but they still keep the tightness needed for fast picking.

As for losing definition... They still sound pretty fine to me. There sounds like there was a slight lose in Sustain, but it wasn't that much to freak out about. It took me an hour or so before I noticed it.

And I know it's basic knowledge, but like I said, I never really thought I would tune this low, so I never looked that deep into it.
Last edited by SMB13 at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by devit

this is awesome advise

11s suit C# standard fine so tune to that and learn some ****ing BEHEMOTH!!
ENGL E530 pre amp
Marshall 8008 power amp
Vox Night train 1x12 cab

Dean Razorback V

Quote by SMB13
Behemoth's Nergal? He plays a 7 String though. At least, I thought he did. It shows him having an ESP 7 String on their site.

a couple of there songs are using 7 strings tuned half a step lower
ENGL E530 pre amp
Marshall 8008 power amp
Vox Night train 1x12 cab

Dean Razorback V

Dethklok plays in C Standard except on Duncan Hills.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
Dethklok plays in C Standard except on Duncan Hills.
Was just about to say this.
Gear-
Cherry Epiphone SG Special
Vox AD30
Boss DS-1