Yes, i have a basson 4x12 guitar cab and i'd like to play music through it not amplifly my guitar but use it like a regular speaker. You probably are getting the idea that i have no idea what im talking about and you are probably right. My cab has a main/exit input outputs in the back. I Dont want to hurt any of my equipment so i figured i'd ask you guys-thanks
I'm also wondering about this, I've tried it on my Peavy Vypyr and it sounds amazing blasting metal through it. But I don't wanna use it that way for a length of time just incase..
It'll **** up your speakers. Guitar speakers are designed for only certain frequencies. Pushing retarded ones through will kill them after awhile. tha's why you don't break in speakers with music, just the instruemtn. same thing with playing a bass with guitar amp. It'll **** it up.

EDIT: v v v I've done it before lol. Yeah, I watched some movies out of an old solid state, and after, it sounded different. The speaker I thinkg ot ajcked up.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Last edited by apak at Sep 1, 2009,
I really wouldn't recommend it. Guitar speakers aren't really designed to handle the wide spectrum of frequencies that are delivered through your stereo (or whatever you're hooking it to). So I'd imagine that it might do some damage over time. Don't quote me on that though because I have been wrong a time or two before
So you want to use the cab as a PA? Or pipe your iPod into it?

Your still going to need to amplify the signal some way.
Quote by apak
same thing with playing a bass with guitar amp. It'll **** it up.

There ain't nothing wrong with playing a bass through a guitar amp. I've done it for years and at extremly high volume. Bass player Duff McKagen from Velvet Revolver/Guns N Roses mixes his sound through a Marshall JCM 800 Guitar amp. Adjust your pick up height on the bass and your good to go if the sound is too in your face.

The main thing is the wattage rating of the bass speakers, if the wattage is too high the amp may not be able to push them and you may not have the volume.
2 Jay Turser JT-220 Les Paul Copys W/ Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 Pro pick ups.
2008 Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 100 Watt tube amp
1966 Fender Bandmaster Tube amp with 2 2x12 cabs
Effects- Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss GE-7 EQ, Boss RV-3 Reverb/Delay
Quote by SlashWannabe1
There ain't nothing wrong with playing a bass through a guitar amp. I've done it for years and at extremly high volume. Bass player Duff McKagen from Velvet Revolver/Guns N Roses mixes his sound through a Marshall JCM 800 Guitar amp. Adjust your pick up height on the bass and your good to go if the sound is too in your face.

The main thing is the wattage rating of the bass speakers, if the wattage is too high the amp may not be able to push them and you may not have the volume.

But Duff runs it through a bass cab, because it's that cab/speakers that get destroyed, not the head.
Quote by SlashWannabe1

It'll **** up the speakers. Go ahead and play out of a guitar amp with a bass as long as the speaker is a bass speaker. guitar speakers aren't designed to handle the low frequencies basses push out.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Depends on what.
Low bass frequencies can harm basic guitar amp speakers if played at high enough levels of volume.
But other than that..
Like using guitar amp+ speakers as an amp for like a microphone to sing into or putting like an iPod through it works fine and doesn't damage it or anything.

When it comes to a P.A. system you generally don't ever put a bass through them either unless the P.A. is setup for it.

So look at it that way.
Just avoid bass, at least at high volume through that cab and you'll be fine.
you're going to lose a lot of fidelity that would otherwise be heard through stereo speakers with tweeters and subs. You can play your ipod or whatever through these kinds of speakers, yes, but distorion is bound to happen.

Things like stereo speakers and PA speakers are high fidelity reproduction systems which will (or should, anyway. low quality PA's are gonna leave a lot to be desired) reproduce any sound put through them at that sound's original frequency, while guitar speakers are designed for break up and distortion while focusing mosly on the mid-range.

Of course when I say that a PA or stereo will reproduce any sound perfectly I'm not 100% correct on that since there are a ton of factors and it really comes down to the quality of all the equipment used in the ENTIRE setup. but the least I can say is that that is what they are designed for...exact, or close as possible audio reproduction
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
.....i'm not following this...

you guys are telling me that if I hook up a loop station with backing tracks to my effects loop, and its playing bass notes and drums, it'll screw up my cab....

i disagree, but i could be wrong
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Last edited by thedekker at Sep 1, 2009,
@ thedekker

An actual bass guitar is different than just playing like a bass track through the amp.
The way the guitars are made and how the pickups work involving the frequencies are different.

Like if I were to hook an octave pedal into a guitar amp and jump down an octave or two, it isn't going to blow the thing up because it's still a guitar being played.

So no, that wouldn't screw your cab up but playing an actual bass guitar into it at pretty high volumes could blow the speakers.