Poll: Which amp should I get?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which amp should I get?
Mesa Boogie Mark III
12 48%
Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
13 52%
Voters: 25.
Well basically this is another stupid which amp should i get thread.

Im trying to decide between a Mesa Mark III and a Mesa rectoverb.

I have an oppertunity to get either one i want for $700 so I was hoping you, the skilled proffesionals of UG would help me decide.

Take the following into consideration

-My music styles are include alot of soft rock (train, maroon 5, lifehouse, five for fighting) alot of alternative (green day, incubus, hoobastank, cute is what we aim for) and a whole lot of modern hard rock and alternative metal. (chevelle, nickelback, audioslave, breaking benjamin, under the flood, shinedown)

so obviously versatility is a must.

-although i only cover soft-hard rock, most of my bands origonal stuff is borderline metal.

-I use a gibson les paul studio

-I LOVE drop tunings, particularly drop D,C,and B

i was pretty much sure i was gonna get the mark III but then i found out they have a shared eq.

which do you think i should get?
Which stripe is the Mark? Does it have the Graphic EQ?

A lot of those bands you listed use Rectos.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
This is a hard one. I think I would go for the Mark III, mostly because that thing is crazy versatile and I never had a chance to try the rectoverb.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by MatrixClaw
Which stripe is the Mark? Does it have the Graphic EQ?

A lot of those bands you listed use Rectos.

what stripe? im not sure i know what you mean.

yes, dont all the mark III's have graphic eq's?
Quote by son of anarchy
what stripe? im not sure i know what you mean.

All the Mark III have a revision "stripe" or "dot":

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/dot.html

Quote by son of anarchy
yes, dont all the mark III's have graphic eq's?

No.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
the recto sounds beast for low tunings, and it gets good sounds for modern rock too, a lot of the modern rock bands use it. both amps will take a lot of tweaking, but the recto sounds better for you. both fantastic amps though
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I'd be going with the recto. people go on and on about marks, but in all honestly, the popular music that you're listening to are all either using rectos or old marshals (jtm, jmp, jcm800). shared eq isn't a big deal. this is because eq is dependent on gain structure as well, so your lower gain settings will sound different anyway.

Ummm, yeah, play both and see what fits your style best rectos are tighter and marks are a bit more aggressive. that's just my opinion.

best of luck
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
recto or mark. hm. Mark has better cleans, but recto is better for metal. Mark is easily more versatile, but the recto is one of the best amps for metal in existence IMO. I'd get the recto if I were you. By shared EQ, you mean the clean and OD has the same knobs for eq? If then, recto for sure. I hate that.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by R.D
I'd be going with the recto. people go on and on about marks, but in all honestly, the popular music that you're listening to are all either using rectos or old marshals (jtm, jmp, jcm800). shared eq isn't a big deal. this is because eq is dependent on gain structure as well, so your lower gain settings will sound different anyway.

Ummm, yeah, play both and see what fits your style best rectos are tighter and marks are a bit more aggressive. that's just my opinion.

best of luck

sure you didnt get a little mixed up there? mesa recto's have one of the loosest high gain sounds
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
sure you didnt get a little mixed up there? mesa recto's have one of the loosest high gain sounds

Agreed, rectos are very loose. Nothing an OD can't fix but still.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by apak
recto or mark. hm. Mark has better cleans, but recto is better for metal. Mark is easily more versatile, but the recto is one of the best amps for metal in existence IMO. I'd get the recto if I were you. By shared EQ, you mean the clean and OD has the same knobs for eq? If then, recto for sure. I hate that.

IMO, Rectos are more of a hard rock sound unless you do it right. Marks have a tighter sound for metal and in most cases are going to be preferred over a Recto for that genre.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

IMO, Rectos are more of a hard rock sound unless you do it right. Marks have a tighter sound for metal and in most cases are going to be preferred over a Recto for that genre.

your not the first the person to tell me that the rec's dont have enough gain for metal, i dont get that, unless there is a huge gain dif between the dual and single, then the single should still have enough gain to kill puppies.
Quote by son of anarchy
your not the first the person to tell me that the rec's dont have enough gain for metal, i dont get that, unless there is a huge gain dif between the dual and single, then the single should still have enough gain to kill puppies.

I didn't say anything about them not having enough gain for metal... Rectos have gain out the ass.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by son of anarchy

My rectoverb has plenty of gain on tap. The problem with it and probably most rectifiers (I wouldn't know though) is that when you put the gain up high it is really difficult to get it sounding good.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb Combo
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
I would say recto.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
For the bands you listed I would say check out the Rectifier. I had a single rectifier for awhile and I could get some good clean sounds out of it and the distortion channel can cover most modern rock. The reason I got rid of the single is that the Dual and Triple have more options and more headroom for cleans
^good to see you again Muramasa!

I guess my vote would go toward the Mark III at that price. You don't really play 'metal' so that is my basis. PLus it is hella amp. If these are on craigslist or a local store then play both obviously.
Quote by son of anarchy

-My music styles are include alot of soft rock (train, maroon 5, lifehouse, five for fighting) alot of alternative (green day, incubus, hoobastank, cute is what we aim for) and a whole lot of modern hard rock and alternative metal. (chevelle, nickelback, audioslave, breaking benjamin, under the flood, shinedown)

so obviously versatility is a must.

That was major sarcasm right?
lol?
All those bands are crappy generic new age bands.
Versatality?!
They all sound the same in terms of guitar.
If you can play 3 or 4 power chords without any specific rythm and just using a "dun dun" pattern then you'll sound just like them.
The gear is barely a matter in this case. As long as you can get a fair amount of gain.

I don't see why you need a decent amp for playing that stuff though.

Whatever.
I say the rectoverb for reasons I don't want to mention. lololol
Last edited by TechnicolorType at Sep 1, 2009,
^we really don't need all the hating bro...

we've had enough of that today. The guy is looking for some help and if that is what he likes and plays then so be it. It may not seem versatile to you but maybe it is versatile to him.

*All those characters you typed into words are basically worth nothing*
Quote by TechnicolorType
That was major sarcasm right?
lol?
All those bands are crappy generic new age bands.
Versatality?!
They all sound the same in terms of guitar.
If you can play 3 or 4 power chords without any specific rythm and just using a "dun dun" pattern then you'll sound just like them.
The gear is barely a matter in this case. As long as you can get a fair amount of gain.

I don't see why you need a decent amp for playing that stuff though.

Whatever.
I say the rectoverb for reasons I don't want to mention. lololol

Ignorance ftl

Id say the Mark over the Recto. I owned a single Recto for a while and loved it but it was not versatile imo. I now have the Quad, which is the IIc/III preamp sections and its amazing, nothing but versatility The Mark will do metal just fine along with a very nice clean.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by R.D

best of luck

Actually, Marks are tighter, Rectos are looser

I'd go with the Recto for the listed styles.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Sep 1, 2009,