Just a simple question for those in the know.

I have a guitar neck that was originally painted all black, but it's very old, and the spaces under the strings have been entirely stripped of paint.

If I were to paint over it, could I paint over the frets and just sand the paint off them? Or would I have to cover each fret with tape and then do every fret spacing separately?
^no, dont do this, because then you will need to completely refret.

its a bad idea to paint and strip off, too. in fact, painting a fretboard isnt a great idea. however, if you must redo it, yes, tape everything off, and also clearcoat it.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Id use tape and then you can paint over the frets and then take it off w/o sanding

and why PAINT a fretboard, do you mean refinish it?
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
I would use tape also, and use them for the inlays as well, if they are present. It would look bad, if they would be covered with paint too...
the easier job, but in the long run, the worse idea. you would eventually have to repaint agian. and again, and again....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I would say strip all the paint off and then clear coat it. Painting the fretboard is such an unhappy idea. But if you really insist, strip the paint then repaint and clear coat it. It may be more work but youll save yourself from having to repaint it in the future and it will be better for your tone
it could be easier to dye it?
im sure you could hide it easily enough with that stuff you can use to darken rosewood or hide flaws in ebony?
dont recall the name of it though
might spark someones mind though :P