I'm looking into buying a new guitar soon & I want it to be a hollowbody. I like the look of the Gretsch Electromatic. So here would be my questions:
1) Would this guitar be good as a slide guitar?
2) Can it hold drop C & other low tunings?
3) I will be using this for heavier music, what would be some other good pups to replace it with?
Heres the link for the guitar: http://www.music123.com/Gretsch-Guitars-G5120-Electromatic-Hollowbody-Electric-Guitar-513282-i1166376.Music123
Quote by Union Jake
just straight up normal male group jerking session, it was like i was on my own aprt from getting kinda bumped into and the weird noises.
Wait what?

Quote by bodyheatseeker

You earned your name, pal.
A hollowbody used in most high gain situations will have alot of feedback.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by badassasaurus
1) Would this guitar be good as a slide guitar?

Yes.

2) Can it hold drop C & other low tunings?

Anything with a tuner and a trussrod can.

3) I will be using this for heavier music, what would be some other good pups to replace it with?

He may be a partisan nutjob, but Ted Nugent thinks it's fine. So does Tom Morello.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Sep 1, 2009,
Stacy- I know it has high gain.
Necrosis- Kudos on the Nugent picture, but pups?
Quote by Union Jake
just straight up normal male group jerking session, it was like i was on my own aprt from getting kinda bumped into and the weird noises.
Wait what?

Quote by bodyheatseeker

A hollowbody for metal is not exactly a good idea. They generally are used in lower-gain music, like jazz, rockabilly, country, and softer stuff, the one exception being Ted Nugent, and he didn't play with a lot of gain i don't think. And being a full hollowbody, it'll feedback like crazy. If you want a Gretsch for metal, maybe look at a Pro Jet, Duo Jet, or a Corvette. At least those are solid body, and wont give you anywhere near the feedback of the full-hollow will.

EDIT: Tom Morello has a guitar more like an ES-335, if you mean his black and red two-tone guitar. It's not a full-hollow like the Gretsch you have picked out.
Last edited by qotsa1998 at Sep 1, 2009,
Well, the people I play with play quite a few different things. I got a non-modified American Fender Telecaster that I use for metal. Plus a music store in my town is going to have this guitar on sale within the next two months.
Quote by Union Jake
Wait what?

Quote by bodyheatseeker

Quote by badassasaurus
Stacy- I know it has high gain.
Necrosis- Kudos on the Nugent picture, but pups?

Well, they're regular humbuckers with fancy covers, so whatever humbucker you want.

Yeah, but any good ideas for pups? The covers for the standard pups are chrome so I may be able to put the covers on whatever I want.
Quote by Union Jake
Wait what?

Quote by bodyheatseeker

Quote by badassasaurus
Yeah, but any good ideas for pups? The covers for the standard pups are chrome so I may be able to put the covers on whatever I want.

Hmm...well, what kind of tone do you want?

I kind of want a aggressive yet bright kind of sound. Sorry I'm not really all that good at describing sounds.

I enjoy the WTF? looks when I play, I haven't played an actual venue just a few parties at friends houses, I usually use my Tele for the heavier stuff & my Schecter Hellraiser Sunset for the softer stuff. I like having the off tone, so it makes me want something fitting yet want it to be distinct & get me the look.
Quote by Union Jake
Wait what?

Quote by bodyheatseeker

Last edited by badassasaurus at Sep 1, 2009,
Well, a Gibson P-94 is advertised as a humbucker-sized Single-coil, I imagine it'd be brighter than your regular pickup. Otherwise I'd give the stock pickups a whirl, Gretsch's I've seen described as big, jangly hollow Fenders, so they should be bright.

Alright! Thanks Necrosis you're the sh!t.

Any idea for aggressive sounding pups that aren't active's? I have actives on my schecter I don't really plan on another guitar with them.
Quote by Union Jake
Wait what?

Quote by bodyheatseeker

Try out the stock pickups first. They sound pretty good - and if you don't like them then +1 on the Gibson P-94.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??