So, after a year and two or so months of playing, I've gotten pretty comfortable with my playing, but I know there's still a large room for improvement, so any advice I can get would be greatly appreciated.

The video of me playing is here, jamming on Voodoo Chile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pBrE3cBPmY
, thats some bitchin playing for only a year...you practiced a lot right?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
, thats some bitchin playing for only a year...you practiced a lot right?

Not as much as I should. I usually play for about 3 hours a day, but I have taken breaks as long as month without playing at all. So I could use more practice lol.
That's pretty damned good.

I think you should bring yourself up in the mix though.
Rather, bring the drums down a little.
You are around where I was afer a year and a half. So you're doing good I'd say.
Ibanez Jem 7V-WH
PRS Custom 24
ESP Ltd EC1000
I can't tell if I am hearing your guitar or Jimi's though. Have you any vidoes of just you?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
What is so special about it? only rhythms isnt it? no fast shredding or whatever...isnt it something you can do when youre playing for at least 7 months or so? and 3-4 for the rhytms? he made some mistakes with the rhythm and didnt play lead parts fluentyle so whats really special about it?
Quote by blind.quardian
What is so special about it? only rhythms isnt it? no fast shredding or whatever...isnt it something you can do when youre playing for at least 7 months or so? and 3-4 for the rhytms? he made some mistakes with the rhythm and didnt play lead parts fluentyle so whats really special about it?

Nothing is 'so special' about it he's just asking how he's doing at this point in his guitar playing career. Very good I'd say so lay off him.

I don't know if you were just playing loosely because it's Hendrix and it's definetely fun to play that way but you could economize your picking a little bit more. Other than that you're way better than I was at that stage.
Les Paul Traditional '08
Fender American Strat '99
Martin D16
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
535 Crybaby-Whammy-Small Clone-DD7 Delay

"I have a very high EQ--something like 3,000 hertz. If I think too hard, my brain hertz." Harrison
Quote by blind.quardian

I don't focus on fast shredding. It's not my style and I've always had a distaste for it. Call me old fashioned but I would take playing based on feeling rather than playing based on technique any day of the week.
Quote by blind.quardian

shreding does not make u good and neither does speed
Quote by blind.quardian

I'll use this as an opportunity to say "fast shredding" as I understand it is boring and lifeless.

TC that's some great playing, particularly nice work on the bends; you're fairly accurate. Good job.
Gibson SG Diablo . Fender Cali Series Strat . Modded Epi Firebird . Seagull 25th Anniv. CW
Korg Pitchblack > Vox V847 >
Big Muff π TW >
Boss OC-3 > Memory Boy
Vox AD50VT
Quote by Archieisted

woah hold on there, "shredding" certainly isnt the only way to go,but to play accurately with speed thats 90% of being,good. When it gets right down to it,to be a seasoned guitarist that can turn their hand to most things you need to be able to play at least a decent pace.

sorry to go off topic, decent sound dude. Good progress id say.
never attempted any hendrix stuff,maybe out of respect

did see a good hendrix cover the other day, that stratocaster tribute thing,all along the watch tower they did ,was **** hot
Quote by blind.quardian

Man ura dick ehs just asking how good hes doing...and ur doing good...nice job...
That was pretty good man, the intro sounded a bit harsh tho
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

nobody posted UG FTW on the vid...tsk tsk

EDIT: that was good playin btw
GEAR

1966 MUSTANG

valveking 112

markley tuner
Ernie Ball Wah
digitech whammy
fulltone ocd
usa big muff
boss dd7
boss rc-2

Quote by simpleben09
You sir have a mean ass rig. Have a great day.
Better than myself at that stage of playing. Great job, plenty of room for improvement. You could tighten things up a little - economy of motion is something that I am working on right now, too.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
Quote by swgb24
I don't focus on fast shredding. It's not my style and I've always had a distaste for it. Call me old fashioned but I would take playing based on feeling rather than playing based on technique any day of the week.

Totally agree with you dude! BTW You sounded damn good
yeah, it might not be the most difficult song but you sound like you have being playing much longer with the feeling you have. Is that you doing the solo as well?
Quote by willythegame
woah hold on there, "shredding" certainly isnt the only way to go,but to play accurately with speed thats 90% of being,good. When it gets right down to it,to be a seasoned guitarist that can turn their hand to most things you need to be able to play at least a decent pace.

sorry to go off topic, decent sound dude. Good progress id say.
never attempted any hendrix stuff,maybe out of respect

did see a good hendrix cover the other day, that stratocaster tribute thing,all along the watch tower they did ,was **** hot

yeah i know, just alot of ppl on UG think shredding is hte only to be good
definately not buddy but you still have to be able to play with a bit of pace when the song needs it
Thanks a lot everyone, because of all this positive reception, I've decided to upload two more videos that can hopefuly give you a little more insight into my playing and help you tell me how to improve it.

The first one is an improvised jam over Since I've Been Loving You and the other is Deep Purple's Highway Star. Again, sorry for the awful video quality.

Since I've Been Loving You
Highway Star
that's impressive that you've been only playing for less than 2 years.

you seem like a troll honestly
It's all about feel
Whatever you're doing with your practising, just carry on with it. Nicely done.
Gear:

ESP Horizon FR (Snow White)
Axl Tiger Pro

Ashdown EVOII 500
Ashdown EVO 1X15 Cab
Ashdown EVO 4X10 Cab

Dunlop Crybaby From Hell Wah
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Artec Analog Delay
Boss HM-2 'Heavy Metal'
Digitech 'Death Metal'
Quote by Archieisted

+1000000000000000

your since i've been loving you improv is pretty damn good. you must've been putting in a lot of work, i've been playing for a year and you already sound twice as good as me. good job
Quote by hopespaul

you seem like a troll honestly

Lol. Im not sure if I should I take that as a compliment or a threat :p
Quote by swgb24
Lol. Im not sure if I should I take that as a compliment or a threat :p

i take it back after hearing your version of "since i been loving you"

but the hendrix one is unbelievable. get a camera with a decent frame rate plz

idk where you get threat from though

threat - a declaration of an intention or determination to inflict punishment, injury, etc., in retaliation for, or conditionally upon, some action or course;
It's all about feel
Quote by hopespaul
i take it back after hearing your version of "since i been loving you"

but the hendrix one is unbelievable. get a camera with a decent frame rate plz

idk where you get threat from though

threat - a declaration of an intention or determination to inflict punishment, injury, etc., in retaliation for, or conditionally upon, some action or course;

Lol the Hendrix one was recorded on a particularly good day. And yea I guess it wasn't a threat, i was just confused lol.
honestly just reading these replies to your video has gave me an urge to practice, and has also intrigued me to check out your video

EDIT: Damn thats good! Keep up the good work man, nice strat too
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Last edited by JAHellraiser at Sep 2, 2009,
liking the led zep,it is good. tbh though its not far from where you should be after a year. Think some people dont practice correctly,inhibits their process. But ur doing well bud
how do you go about practicing?
Quote by turtlewax
how do you go about practicing?

I have an interesting way of practice. I dont learn techinques just to learn them. Usually I'll go about learning whatever songs interest me, and if I come across a technique that is necessary for that song, or that I think would add something to it, I'll learn it and then apply it to other songs until it just becomes part of my playing. I find that in this way I can learn a lot without being bored and can quickly apply it to actual music rather than just running scales an such.
Quote by Archieisted
yeah i know, just alot of ppl on UG think shredding is hte only to be good

I disagree. Half the people on UG think that people who shred are wankers and that classic rock and blues are the only real music on earth. The other half are the shredders.

I have a lot of trouble believing that this vid was after a year of playing, unless you've taken lessons or some other forms of assisted learning. Either way, for a year, it's very good, I just have the feeling it's a little closer to 2 years.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I disagree. Half the people on UG think that people who shred are wankers and that classic rock and blues are the only real music on earth. The other half are the shredders.

I have a lot of trouble believing that this vid was after a year of playing, unless you've taken lessons or some other forms of assisted learning. Either way, for a year, it's very good, I just have the feeling it's a little closer to 2 years.

I taught myself for about 8 months, then I took lessons for about 3 months, I stopped taking lessons just a short while back.