Page 1 of 2
So when you were a teenager (or still are a teenager) were you ever told "you won't understand until you're older" or "typical xx year olds"? How did you feel about this?

I am 19 now so i'm still a teenager, but back when i was 16 i was in college, some of the people in my class were in their 20s, and there was a clear divide between the younger ones and elders, some were always arguing, others were more civil, most of the time i was pretty civil with the older ones and actually learnt things from them (and my own personal experiences of course), but when they would argue with some of my friends who were my age, they would usually resort to using age against them, which pissed me off a little.

In saying that, i have to say that between now and then i have learnt alot about life, and alot of younger people might not know about life, and i'm not saying that against them, nor am i saying that it applies to all 16, 17 year olds, and it pisses me off when people do hold this against their youngers.

EDIT: I didn't go to college early, the standard age for finishing secondary school and going into college is 16, i am not a genius, my GCSEs were pretty bad.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Last edited by donender at Sep 1, 2009,
Typical 19 year old post.

(It's really annoying. But on occasion, those people were right.)

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I'm 18, but throughout my entire stay on UG, I've noticed a lot of patronising people here.

Seriously. It really shows from the way they type. You can always identify a 14 year old, and you can always identify a 20-something college student. The latter generally tries to be some sort of supreme force of justice with (allegedly) no opinion of his own, apart from the fact that those involved in the argument are wrong, and he is always right.

I guess now that I'm "older", I can be quite patronising, myself. When I see teenagers aged 14-16, I think "Darn kids these days!" like a bitter old man.
Last edited by sashki at Sep 1, 2009,
It annoys me when I hear all this "All teenagers are impolite drug taking murderers" bullsh*t from places such as the Daily Mail. I'm polite, I don't take drugs,and I'm not a murderer.
No, only canonized.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by TEK34
It annoys me when I hear all this "All teenagers are impolite drug taking murderers" bullsh*t from places such as the Daily Mail. I'm polite, I don't take drugs,and I'm not a murderer.

Uh, it's the Daily Mail... If you take it seriously you're doing it wrong.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by TEK34

...yet
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
I'm only 15 and I patronize/have been patronized. As long as someone is younger/older than you, there will be patronization (if that's a word?).
SOAS
No, but i was raped.
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
Quote by Mikenikes666
you were in college as a 16 year old?
damn you must be really smart

It works differently in England, you leave secondary school at 15/16 (i guess secondary is equivelent to junior high), then start college later on that year, but at some colleges they let older people on, provided they are under a certain age, then after college is uni, which i think is about the same as college in America.

Quote by SystemOfASteve
I'm only 15 and I patronize/have been patronized. As long as someone is younger/older than you, there will be patronization (if that's a word?).

I agree with you to an extent, sometimes if i try to tell someone younger than me a lesson i learnt when i was their age, i risk coming off patronising, when i'm really not, but some assholes just try and use age as their ace in the hole.
WHOMP

Last edited by donender at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by sashki
My parents can't seem to decide if they think I'm really smart or dumb as a box of rocks.

My dad does that. Yesterday he was "teaching" me how to focus the lens on a camera and yet he's always telling me how smart I am and how much I need to help with electronics.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

"But you'll do that next year"

Heard this all the time last year in maths. Then the year just passed it was "but you'll do that at university"

Finally, I'm going to university to learn all the difficult mathy things! hurrah!

The most patronising our teachers would be at college though, is when we'd ask if our teacher Ed was in.

"Don't worry, Uncle Ed is here to see you"
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

When I read "patronized," I thought you meant "made a saint " for some reason.

I've always been a little more precocious (my worst trait), but my parents like to remind me on a regular basis that I have no life experience. There's a reason for that...

Quote by sashki
I'm 18, but throughout my entire stay on UG, I've noticed a lot of patronising people here.

Seriously. It really shows from the way they type. You can always identify a 14 year old, and you can always identify a 20-something college student. The latter generally tries to be some sort of supreme force of justice with (allegedly) no opinion of his own, apart from the fact that those involved in the argument are wrong, and he is always right.

I guess now that I'm "older", I can be quite patronising, myself. When I see teenagers aged 14-16, I think "Darn kids these days!" like a bitter old man.

And this is why I find it magical that for some reason age never pops into my head when I read a post. Kensai could just as easily be a 14 year old as a 20-something with a beard. It makes The Pit on whole a more surreal experience.
Last edited by thewho65 at Sep 1, 2009,
Not for my age, but definitely height

I've had 13 year old girls pat me on the head like a dog I'm 16
________ A
________C
________E
________!
I'm patronized constantly, even in guitar communities, for being 13. Hell, i've been playing guitar for years, and play better than most people i know who are 15, 16 and play guitar. Whatever. It's no big deal.
Quote by RobinTrower12
You were in college when you were 16?

Read post 19.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

TS just wanted to tell people he went to college early. But in all seriousness, it's douchey for people to say such things, but they're also often right.
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
*puts on patronizing voice*
awww... look! it's ts!
ah, who's a good ts? who's a good little ts?
*pokes and tickles*
yes you are. you know you are a little monster. i could just eat you up.
om nom nom....
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
Reminds me of something my grandfather used to say. He used to say "I'm going upstairs and **** your grandmother." Well, he was an honest guy, you know? He wasn't going to bull-**** a 4 year old.
Ibanez RG350MDX
Dunlop Jazz IIIs
DR Tite-fits(Only because High-Beams sell too fast for me to buy them)
Carvin X212B
They're usually right. There will always be somebody older than you hitting you in the back of the knees with their rickety, old, cane.

Michael Jackson - Forever loved
Quote by VoodooChild15
TS just wanted to tell people he went to college early. But in all seriousness, it's douchey for people to say such things, but they're also often right.

I edited it for clarification.
WHOMP

Quote by VoodooChild15

Someone didn't read the thread.
Yes, but I do understand. I think the person I'm arguing with doesn't, go figure .
You dont have to be old to be wise. i believe thats a Judas Priest song.
I was pretty fortunate because my family treated me like I was capable of learning things for myself and understood that if I felt I was ready for something I could give it a go. But I have witnessed it, especially with my youngest step brother and I try to treat him like I would want to be treated at his age.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Page 1 of 2