I've always loved the look of the body of the Fender Precision Bass, especially the Road Worn series. The only thing keeping me from buying one is the wide neck, which isn't as comfortable to play. But I love the neck on my Peavey Millennium BXP. So, I was thinking of buying the P-Bass, swapping the tuners onto the head of the Peavey neck, and then putting the neck from the Peavey onto the P-Bass.

I have a pretty wide range of experience in this field, I build guitars in my spare time and I do guitar tech work for local bands. The bridges are the same on the basses, the necks are the same scale length, and as far as I can tell the neck angle is the same. So, should I attempt it or just buy the Jazz Bass (which is another one I like, just not quite as much)? Basically, is there a variable that I'm missing here that will ruin the project? The only thing I can think of is the Peavey has five bolts holding it on, and the Fender only has four.

Thanks for the input!
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3
-Fender Road Worn 50s Precision Bass

Gear I Have:
-Peavey Millennium BXP =]
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
P bass Special It's a P bass with a jazz neck and a jazz bridge pickup. Slap a new pickguard and you're good to go :P I don't think the neck will fit properly, switching between the two brands like that. The guitar building forum would give good advice on that, too
Quote by Canadian_basser

P bass Special It's a P bass with a jazz neck and a jazz bridge pickup

Correct me if I'm wrong here... but doesn't that make it a J- bass?

Edit - Nevermind, I looked at the link.
I didn't realise it was a JP configuration.
Last edited by Casketcreep at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by Canadian_basser
P bass Special It's a P bass with a jazz neck and a jazz bridge pickup. Slap a new pickguard and you're good to go :P I don't think the neck will fit properly, switching between the two brands like that. The guitar building forum would give good advice on that, too

Perfect! That's exactly what I'm looking for! I don't need to switch the pickguard, though, that's exactly how I wanted it to look. I don't suppose you would know any site that would ship it to Canada, do you?
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3

Gear I Have:
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
Is it? The maple leaf wasn't on the page so I wasn't sure.
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3

Gear I Have:
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
I think they'll ship it anyways... You can always give them a call. I don't know if you have any long and mcquades where you are, but they'd probably order one for you. God knows what the price would be though :P axemusic is Canadian, but they don't have any listed.

actually.... P bass second one down

edit: that one's used. I imagine if they'll ship you a "like new" condition bass, they'll send the same one new.
Last edited by Canadian_basser at Sep 1, 2009,