So here's the story.

Me and my friends decided to start a band a couple months ago, at the moment we're deciding who's going to be the drummer and bassist (We have two people just not sure which gets which.), but that's not the problem. Two problems actually.

Problem 1: We need to find a vocalist and I have no idea what to do to find one, should I hold try-outs? Find someone in my circle of friends and ask them? I was thinking of making our rhythm guitarist or bassist sing, not sure.

Problem 2: We need to find a nice easy song to play, with any kind of lead but an easy rhythm and bass line.(Note: We are going to be either a 5 person or 4 person band[1 bassist, 1 rhythm guitar, 1 lead guitar, 1 drummer, 1 singer with possibility of doing another instrument.]).

Any help would be appreciated.
I Had No Sig Once.

?
All of the singers I know who are actually *good* are in choir. Coincidence? I think not.
Well, when I use to just write on my own it seemed a little like disturbed? Not skill wise but the tone and techniques were alike. But when we jam together it's kindof hard to tell at the moment as we aren't fully developed(?) as a band.
I Had No Sig Once.

?
Ask your friends but make sure to tell them they are trying out, they don't have a part in the band. Your just a little bit older than I am, so post some fliers around in your Highschool, and if they have a policy about having to get permission first ask, and if they say no put em up anyways it took my school a week to take mine down.

Basically, do everything you can to let it be known that you are looking for a singer. And if you can't find one for a little bit, just practice together as a band. :-)

Goodluck man.
Whats a sig?
The absolute easiest song to sing and play ever, is When You Were Young by the Killers.

You'd never have to know how to play an instrument to play every part on that song, and you can practice singing on Rock Band.

About the singer, you can go one of three ways:
1. Find a friend who sings okay
2. Find the member of the band who sings the best and have them play AND sing
3. Find someone who can actually sing, whether they are from your school, from Craigslist, classifieds, whatever.
you said you picked have two friends for a drummer and bassist but dont know which gets which...sounds to me like they dont play....
you should find people who for an instrument spot, not an instrument for a friend to play
Quote by iwannabesedated
The absolute easiest song to sing and play ever, is When You Were Young by the Killers.

You'd never have to know how to play an instrument to play every part on that song, and you can practice singing on Rock Band.

About the singer, you can go one of three ways:
1. Find a friend who sings okay
2. Find the member of the band who sings the best and have them play AND sing
3. Find someone who can actually sing, whether they are from your school, from Craigslist, classifieds, whatever.

They've suggested I sing a couple times but as the lead guitarist I feel like it's kindof ... overshadowing them? Taking up two big things is kind of a horrible thing to do.
Also, Tim we live in a small town so it's hard to find people who actually play.

Quote by Oheric
Ask your friends but make sure to tell them they are trying out, they don't have a part in the band. Your just a little bit older than I am, so post some fliers around in your Highschool, and if they have a policy about having to get permission first ask, and if they say no put em up anyways it took my school a week to take mine down.

Basically, do everything you can to let it be known that you are looking for a singer. And if you can't find one for a little bit, just practice together as a band. :-)

Goodluck man.

Thanks, I'll try that.
I Had No Sig Once.

?
Last edited by Nemo306 at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by Nemo306
They've suggested I sing a couple times but as the lead guitarist I feel like it's kindof ... overshadowing them? Taking up two big things is kind of a horrible thing to do.
Also, Tim we live in a small town so it's hard to find people who actually play.

Believe me, the audience doesn't care who plays lead guitar. Generally the singer is the focal point of attention anyway - his job IS to overshadow the rest of the band. That's not a problem.

Taking up two big things isn't a horrible thing to do - you'll find as you play longer that you'll HAVE to learn to sing anyway to get some work. Just do it. They've already suggested a couple of times that you do it so the only person who cares is you.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by koslack
Wait a second. You have a bassist and a drummer, but don't know who will play what? I'm guessing that means neither of them actually play an instrument yet?
Why do I get the feeling in 3 weeks we're going to have one of those 'Help! My drummer can't play!' threads on our hands?

I've known how to play the drums for a few months, and the bass is essentially just a drumset and guitar in one. I've been teaching them both to play drums and the one to progress faster will get the spot.
I Had No Sig Once.

?
Quote by Nemo306
the bass is essentially just a drumset and guitar in one

Wow it must be heavy!
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Wow it must be heavy!

I walked into that one
I Had No Sig Once.

?
Good luck with tryouts. I hope that you find a singer. I would check out Banmix.com/joinmband.com and just search around CL and google for people in your area. High School Flyers and ads up in the music shop wont hurt, I'd just be certian that you post your ages, so you dong get some washed up old guy that doesnt fit. Unless thats what your looking for.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
i know what you mean though
my bassist was originally just my friend who was the designated "bassist"
it took forever but now he is a real bassist
just make sure your friends will play the instrument by themselves, otherwise they will not get better.
you should probably let them become "musicians" before you call yourselves a band.
there is a difference between a musician and someone who can play every metallica tab
I wasn't going to teach them covers, I was planning on teaching some scales and tehcniques and simple beats and techniques on the drums. Hoping that they can do it form their. Thanks everyone! C'ya!
I Had No Sig Once.

?