is there anything bad about it, i just made a really dark purple and put it on a scrap piece, it absorbed really well, and with some polyurethane it turned out great.

im just curious on why it isnt mentioned for a cheap solution for dy(e?)ing wood. or is food coloring alot more expensive in U.S than Canada?
seems pretty cool...

I've never tried it but it sounds like it would work
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I think mabey becuase it s a degradeble product, and possibley over time the color will breakdown and prolly look like ****, since food coloring is ediable and all. I'ma just a sayen.
Underneath a coat of clear, i doubt it would degrade. I don't really know, though. I've only ever stained with wood stains.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
the only way to know for sure is to try it yourself or find someone who has.

Since I doubt you'll find too many of the latter, try the former on some scrap wood and clear over it just to test it out.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
^he already has done it.

To prevent the breaking down, could you sterilize the dye before hand, and use aseptic techique while applying it? The thing still might break down though...

Or you could simply spend a few quid and get some proper woodstain that you know will work and last for a long time

Hmmm, which to do?
it only cost me about 10$ for 2/4guitars worth of stain, depending on how
much you use.

unless you cant get wood stain, why not get it?
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
^I could use that same smiley to you.

While using food colouring might seem at the moment to be cool and all, its a much better idea to use a product specially formulated to be used on wood that is tried and tested and will, ultimately, give a good finish. Using some crazy idea you have, isn't sensible.

By all means go for it if you don't care how the guitar turns out or if you don't want a finish that is known to stand the tests of time
^ *reported* for your spam. If you don't want to contribute in a civilised manner, don't post.

TS: why don't you check out the ultimate refinishing thread, there will be loads of good info about stains and some experts who will give you a definitive yes or no on the use of food colouring (I'm still going to say get some stain). Its at the top of this forum.

EDIT: Deleting your post is so clever, its not like the mods can't see deleted posts or anything . If you're just going to troll and post crap in these forums, then please leave. If you have any knowledge about the topic in question, post it.
Last edited by supergerbil at Sep 2, 2009,
Reported for double posting and abusing the reporting function, as well as suggesting a completely unrelated wood paint to somebody asking about food dye.

Don't screw with me, buddy.
I don't know about food coloring but I've been wanting to see how vegetable dyes look. Long-term, you'd get UV fading but you could use that to your advantage... off the top of my head, a denim effect from an indigo-based dye that fades and softens over time. I've got more than enough flowers and berries and so on to turn into stain. I even have a young walnut that's been fruiting for a few years. The fleshy coating on the nut makes a really neat brown dye, but I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet.
I'm not sure about it but I'd think you'd want to use alcohol as a dye-carrier instead of water to avoid moisture issues but I'm not sure it'd make a difference. Anyone know?
Last edited by Axelotl at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by ethan_hanus
I think mabey becuase it s a degradeble product, and possibley over time the color will breakdown and prolly look like ****, since food coloring is ediable and all. I'ma just a sayen.

Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
^I covered a scrap piece of my wood in grape juice

it had a cool color and smelled really good.

Still recommend just using stain unless you;re willing to wait for the long term result with something like that though.
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

Last edited by blindsagacity at Sep 2, 2009,
DONT DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i tried this with green food coloring on my saga lp kit and it was so hard to get an even coat.. the coloring was darker in some places than in others! i thought it would work but it sinks in too quickly.
^do you mean like a stain? i can't tell if you mean it was absorbed differently according to the grain (which is normal) or according to the strokes by which you applied it?
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

I don't imagine the dye will maintain it's color after a couple years.
It wouldn't be more flammable, at least not after an hour or so. The majority of the alcohol would evaporate off within that time.

If you were using wine, you'd likely want to do multiple "coats" before you shot it with the topcoat.
Quote by Axelotl
It wouldn't be more flammable, at least not after an hour or so. The majority of the alcohol would evaporate off within that time.

If you were using wine, you'd likely want to do multiple "coats" before you shot it with the topcoat.

Not to mention it isn't flammable anyway because it has at most a 15% alcohol content. Just thought I would share that tidbit.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by savage94
i guess thats the true wine red finish! haha lololol
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia