HT-5 Combo: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackstar-HT-Series-HT5C-5W-1x10-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483559

HT-5H & HT-110 Mini Half: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackstar-HT-Series-HT5H-and-HT110-Guitar-Mini-Half-Stack?sku=489746

So I searchbarred, got something similar but not really.

I've heard great things about these amps, and although there's no Canadian dealers and I can't try 'em out, MF has their 45 day guarantee. They're the exact same price, exact same controls/preamp. But 10 bucks more for shipping the mini-stack. And money is tight, so no "buy the head and get a 2x12".

So my question is, which should i get? What are some advantages and disadvantages for each?
Вяєҭҭ
ZeGuitarist's sister is hawt.
?)
Last edited by Ribcage at Sep 1, 2009,
I just ordered the combo. I was having the same dilemma as you except I was going to get a different cab to go with the ht5 head. I got the combo because weight is an issue. I am at university and like to go jam with friends. The combo isn't to heavy but way better than having to worry about two separate pieces. They both have a 10 inch speaker by celestion so its going to sound close to the same. Plus you still get the speaker outputs if you ever want to add a larger cab to the combo. Just my two cents.
I say go for the combo just for portability's sakes
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
If portability is an issue then get the combo. If it's just going to sit in the same place all the time then get the head and a good 1/2/4x12 cab.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
He did say no cab money available.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Wonder how I missed that.

Well, same suggestion from me. Get the cabs and head if you don't need to move it around (much) or get the combo if you do.

Though, if you get the head now you'll be set to get a good cab later on. The combo has the controls on the top so it's not ergonomically ideal to put on a cab.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I was in basically the same dilemma as you. I bought the stack without playing it first and was disappointed by it tbh. Great cleans but not much gain IMO (Sabbath at best). You will want an OD pedal with it if you plan on playing metal. I sent mine back also. If you don't play much metal then you will love it.

/my2cents
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
if they are the same price, get the mini halfstack. that way you can swap the cab in the future for something that will suit you better

Quote by JayT44
I was in basically the same dilemma as you. I bought the stack without playing it first and was disappointed by it tbh. Great cleans but not much gain IMO (Sabbath at best). You will want an OD pedal with it if you plan on playing metal. I sent mine back also. If you don't play much metal then you will love it.

the ht5 is by no means a high gain amp, but if you cant coax enough gain out of the amp to play metal without boosting it, you are doing something wrong
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Last edited by the boogieman at Sep 2, 2009,
Half Stack, because then you can upgrade the cabinet when you have enough money.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by metallicafan616
Half Stack, because then you can upgrade the cabinet when you have enough money.

This., The HT-5 is good enough to use as your main amp for the foreseeable future, especially with a good cab.

Better still; buy the head for $299 and then consider spending the remaining $100 on a used 1x2 cab from eBay/Craigslist etc.
Quote by JayT44
Great cleans but not much gain IMO (Sabbath at best). You will want an OD pedal with it if you plan on playing metal. I sent mine back also. If you

Um... you must of had a dud . You don't need a pedal to do metal with the HT-5

These clip were made with the guitar straight in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDFQi_jBN20&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i_aUoanCA8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmdW_5RmOh4&feature=related
Quote by 667
Um... you must of had a dud . You don't need a pedal to do metal with the HT-5

These clip were made with the guitar straight in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDFQi_jBN20&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i_aUoanCA8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmdW_5RmOh4&feature=related

Im going to have to agree with JayT44 on this one but with a clarification that is missing.. The amp can do metal but not the type of metal most thing of as metal these days.. AKA Modern Metal.. Gojira, Lamb of god and such.

The video clips prove that and gotta love that he said it can only do Sabbath then you say no and the guys clip is of him doing Sabbath for this is how metal this amp can go.

But a side from that the breaking point is tightness. It just doesnt have the headroom to pull off modern metal. It can get a power tube saturation classic metal to mesa type of loose toned metal pretty well though. Also the suggestions for using and OD with this amp is mainly to get it to tighten up a bit not necessarily to add to the gain and push it overboard. It is what it is, a nice little 5 watt amp with a good amount of gain on top which is far from a 120 watt beast.

Just throwing my .02 in there

Also Honestly I think it would be easier to get the head and cab. Combos are always a pain to carry vs splitting up the weight and carrying the cab seperate from the head. Also some gigs or buddys already have the cabs there. So if you just had the head in the first place you wouldnt have to lug around that extra weight.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
The video clips prove that and gotta love that he said it can only do Sabbath then you say no and the guys clip is of him doing Sabbath for this is how metal this amp can go.

I didn't catch the Sabbath. The first clip was BLS I think. The second was Slayer and I only caught Metallica and Ozzy on the third. To my ears they all sound way heavier than Sabbath.

IMO it will do LOG.... especially with a hot ECC83 in there .

So I take it you got yours? So far so good?
Last edited by 667 at Sep 2, 2009,
Quote by 667
I didn't catch the Sabbath. The first clip was BLS I think. The second was Slayer and I only caught Metallica and Ozzy on the third. To my ears they all sound way heavier than Sabbath.

IMO it will do LOG.... especially with a hot ECC83 in there .

So I take it you got yours? So far so good?

Opps I just listened to the rest of the clip and you are right.. I was so loose and spongy with power tube sauration I thought it was War Pigs

But that does go hand in hand with what im talking about. She can do metal dont get me wrong but she cant do tight metal. Reminds me of he Valveking in a since, its a great lower gain amp that can do metal but its not the best choice for modern metal. BLS (Marshall heavey power tube saturation) so its perfect, Metallica (loose mesa tone) it can get you close enough, Slayer (tight marshall)This is where it failed I in my opinion way to spongy and loose for them and Ozzy (power tube marshall) so it excels quite well there.. And it is alot heaveir then Sabbath but just being heavy doesnt make it metal

LOG would be a stretch I would have to hear it to believe it.

Yup, I've had it for about a week now and love it. Great little amp and plenty versatile.
This is my own little take on it... More of a question I've had myself. It has a speaker emulated output with a 1x12/4x12 voicing emulation switch thingy, so why can't you just buy the $300 head and run it through a cheap PA system until you get enough cash?
Quote by Ghast
This is my own little take on it... More of a question I've had myself. It has a speaker emulated output with a 1x12/4x12 voicing emulation switch thingy, so why can't you just buy the $300 head and run it through a cheap PA system until you get enough cash?

I'm pretty sure you don't want to do that.

Yes, it has the line out to go to a PA, and that's fine.
But the amp STILL MUST be connected to a speaker. Or a dummy load.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by IbanezPsycho

LOG would be a stretch I would have to hear it to believe it.

Well your not getting it from me (even if I could do them justice, I don't want to put the stock pre tube back in).
Cheers.
Quote by Ghast

I'm not sure how this would work. It does say connect speaker before use. I'm thinking it would need a speaker load either way.

I'd get the mini halfstack, and if you get a good cab, you can always upgrade your head later.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!