I am looking for some help attaining the sound I desire. I am hoping to get my guitar to sound like Abigail Williams' guitars. I can't get my set-up to sound as brutal as what I would like... I have heard a few different suggestions but want to make sure I know what I am doing before I buy anything.

I am currently using the following gear.

Krank Rev Pro Jr 50w
Line 6 Uber Metal
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700 extended neck w/ Dimarzio pick-ups

some songs for example.. (all abigail tunes btw)

Into the Ashes
A thousand suns
The departure

Any help would be great.
Thanks
They just scoop their mids, and boost treble but that's not black metal tone...

For that AW tone:

Bass: 4
Mids: 2
Treble: 7

For a black metal tone:

Bass: 1
Mids: 0
Treble: 8-10

Gain should always be ridiculously over-the-top.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
turn the kvlt switch on your amp from off to on.

that should do it
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Also, you should never need any form of pedals or extra anything for black metal tone.

Just a guitar and amp, and your fingers.

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Treble should be at least 8

Cut mids somewhere between 1 and 4

If lead, bass under 4

if rhythm, bass under 7
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Brutal+Black Metal=NoNoNoNoNo
Quote by Jody LeCompte
"My personal preference has always been for a rack unit. One less thing to play dance dance revolution with on your pedalboard"

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
also this probably won't help much but you'd suprised but i recommend the dunlop jazz III picks. there reallly heavy and you really crunchy and slappy sound. great for trem picking or and cradle of filth which is pretty much all they do. lol
Shouldn't be too difficult with the gear you have. Just boost the gain, I put the gain on 9 or 10 for black metal but you may want to adjust this.
Keep the bass quite low for old school black metal, but as you want a more modern crunch, boost it a little, somewhere between 5 and 7.
Keep mids quite low for an Abigial Williams type sound, but I like to boost it a little, to just under half for an old school Bathory type sound.
Go mad with the treble, mine usually doesn't go below 8 for any style, but decrease treble as you increase the volume, as I've found it becomes too searing at high volumes, but you may want this so idk.

Also, reverb may help for a more atmospheric sound that I know AW like to use, and use delay for any arpeggiated stuff, for example Freezing Moon by Mayhem. I also like to use compression for power chord riffs.

Hope this helps
sadly mitch their vocalist sounds like a complete fuck wit... nullifying their point *shrugs* l0l gg

[edit] now that I remember he sorta sounds like the main 6th grader from south park
Last edited by NosferatuZodd09 at Sep 1, 2009,
Thanks for the input
I have had several people tell me I need an Equalizer for extreme metal, what is everyone's thoughts on this??
You don't need anything for anything.
Are you unhappy with your tone? If so, buy an equalizer.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Some fuzz pedals, really cheap guitars and the intent to be kvlt and kill your band members.

Amirite?
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
i hate you mer der. i hope you get a boner and accidently fall on it.

Quote by rocknrollstar
Excuse my stupidity , but what is a urethra ?

Im guessing anus.
No, because fuzz tone doesn't apply to black metal.

More like sludge or something...

Quote by eggsandham2
^ Varg used fuzz pedals...
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
i hate you mer der. i hope you get a boner and accidently fall on it.

Quote by rocknrollstar
Excuse my stupidity , but what is a urethra ?

Im guessing anus.
Quote by mer_der_noms
^ Varg used fuzz pedals...

Well now Varg lives on a farm...

SEE WHERE USING FUZZ PEDALS GOT HIM!
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Slaytanic1993
They just scoop their mids, and boost treble but that's not black metal tone...

For that AW tone:

Bass: 4
Mids: 2
Treble: 7

For a black metal tone:

Bass: 1
Mids: 0
Treble: 8-10

Gain should always be ridiculously over-the-top.

I know I said I was taking a break from UG, but I have to post this once!

For a good black metal tone, you shouldn't scoop the mids, mids should be between 4-7
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
Is an equalizer worth investing in???

And does anyone here have any experience with the new 'Black Metal' distortion pedal???
Bit off topic, but can anyone reccommend some decent settings for some downtuned Electric Wizard-style doom? So far i've been adding alot of middle and bass tones with a fair amount of distortion and I get a half decent sound, but it doesnt really have the 'oopmh' to get that really crushing, bottomless sound. I have one of those Hardwire pedals with the tight/loose settings switch, if that helps.
Quote by jonnowev
Bit off topic, but can anyone reccommend some decent settings for some downtuned Electric Wizard-style doom? So far i've been adding alot of middle and bass tones with a fair amount of distortion and I get a half decent sound, but it doesnt really have the 'oopmh' to get that really crushing, bottomless sound. I have one of those Hardwire pedals with the tight/loose settings switch, if that helps.

Could you post a link for a sample of your desired sound??
Quote by jonnowev

Dont they use bass amps, I dont listen to them but I think I heard that somewhere.
Quote by mikey son
Dont they use bass amps, I dont listen to them but I think I heard that somewhere.

Wouldnt be surprised to be honest. I'll give it a go with my friends bass amp in the near future.
Quote by Guitar_Kingdom
I know I said I was taking a break from UG, but I have to post this once!

For a good black metal tone, you shouldn't scoop the mids, mids should be between 4-7

Mids make black metal sound too warm, at least on the amps I've used. Just drop the bass and mids to 0 and jack the treble.

That's black metal tone

Quote by eggsandham2
Quote by ChemicalFire
Well now Varg lives on a farm...

SEE WHERE USING FUZZ PEDALS GOT HIM!

Living on a farm is uber-black metal. Just look at Wolves In The Throne Room.

Anyways, for black metal tone, I'd boost mids, boost treble, cut bass.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by jonnowev

not sure if your looking to get their newer or older style- if you want older get the Boss FZ-2. their entire "dopethrone" album was recorded using that pedal.
Quote by jonnowev

bass amp + fuzz pedal = electric wizard.

As for black metal tone, buy a very crappy practice amp, hit it a few times with a baseball bat, and then add a **** load of gain, boost treble and mids.

A lot of black metal has an intentionally bad tone. That's the point of it.

Example: burzum's filofoselem (or whatever the **** its called).
Quote by pantera456

As for black metal tone, buy a very crappy practice amp, hit it a few times with a baseball bat, and then add a **** load of gain, boost treble and mids.

Dude, you really know you're shit about black metal!
Philosophy > Life
Last edited by MoogleRancha at Sep 8, 2009,
Quote by MoogleRancha
Dude, you really know you're shit about black metal!

Do I detect sarcasm?
Quote by pantera456

Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
you can't be kvlt without bad tone, right guys?
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus