Ive been learning to tap for awhile now and i consider myself pretty good at tapping. The only problem is is that I dont know if I have the right technique...I use my forearm to mute the other strings so they dont sound. Im just wondering if I should stop doing incase it would lead to sloppy playing, tone issues, etc...
I prefer using my index finger on my left hand to mute the strings above the one I'm tapping on and using my forearm to mus the lower strings if necessary. I've found however, that good left hand technique makes the use of the forearm to mute unnecessary.

If you can play cleanly and change strings and revert back to picking cleanly and comfortably, then you shouldn't have too much trouble. I recommend watching a few videos of guitarists tapping to get an idea how various players tap.
do you use your index or middle finger to tap? what you should do is pull off like you would with the left hand. dont use any muscles but your finger muscles. i rest the palm of my hand on the body of the guitar( if its high on the neck) so that i dont use any of my arm
Possibly the best guy at tapping is Francis Dunnery. He's the one who invented the tapping guitar with two necks glued together etc. Have a look at some of his stuff on youtube. If its live he used a Fender Strat, but studio recordings were done on a Squier ('cos it had a perfect neck and he re-fretted it with extra low frets)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by slayerfrk
do you use your index or middle finger to tap? what you should do is pull off like you would with the left hand. dont use any muscles but your finger muscles. i rest the palm of my hand on the body of the guitar( if its high on the neck) so that i dont use any of my arm

FYI I use my index finger. Thanks for the help.
I use my right hand thumb to mute the upper strings im not using, and i also use the left pinky to mure the down strings im not using. My guitar teacher (he has like 22 years of experience) told me that this was a very good way to mure the strings you arent tapping
Baraga thanks for the thumb tip! ive been having some trouble with excess noise when muting with my palm/forearm, but using the thumb is perfect!

I use mostly the side of my palm to mute the lower strings, and my left hand fingers to mute the higher strings. Tapping thing in general, not muting related, one thing that helped me a lot was when I switched from using my index finger to tap to my middle. That allows me to keep the pick in its normal position between my thumb and index finger. So I can get between tapped and picked passages a lot more easily.

Back to muting - you should find this useful - the incredible Michael Romeo talks about muting (from about 4:30 or so).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHgg3Eq63JA
Last edited by se012101 at Sep 20, 2009,