ok guys, so i'm saving for a new bass. looking to spend around 400-700 american dollars.

i'm looking for a 5 string this time around.

i'm lookin' for a nice versatile bass. needs to be asthetically pleasing. nothing too fancy though.

main influences would be: arif from protest the hero, Mic Todd from Coheed and Cambria, Nick from As Blood Runs Black. pretty varied tastes.

So with this kinda knowledge, should i get:

Schecter

OR

Spector

OR

*insert suggestion*

thanks for all the help in advance.
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
If i'm honest, I prefer Spectors. They just seem better overall.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
I'd get the spector. Shecters are great basses of course, but I just ****ing lloooooovvvee me a spector tone.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
that's kinda what i was thinking. plus it's cheaper. but then again, if the built quality or quality overall is better on the schecter. then i'd say it's worth the extra cash.

also: i do believe i'd prefer the neck thru as opposed to bolt on. of course i gotta go try to find one to try out. the neck joint doesn't seem that bad.
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
I wouldn't know which one to pick for sure but I'll give my review of schecter basses. I've played a few and owned one. the schecter stilleto studio 4 string. Nice basses. tend to have a pretty bright tone for what I like but I like a very warm tone..thus I like bartolini pickups and tube amps. Mine had a 3 band eq but i played one with a two band eq and i actually like the 2 band better. i think they chose better frequencies on the 2 band. Great neck feel..for me anyway. I highly suggest going and playing a schecter to see if you like it. I've heard a few people say they hate it. Nice thinish neck and low action. A good bass overall. just wasn't my thing from the tone. Also, my truss rod broke...yup. I've never ehard of anyone else having the problem so I assume mine was a fluke. not every part ever put out can be perfect, ya know.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Spectors sound better, look better, and feel better too.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Never played a Specter but I love my Schecter.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
You know you can ask all you want but you're really gonna have to try and play some.
'cause we aren't you, and it's gonna be your bass. (unless you would like to make a contribution, I head a charity foundation that helps poor pathetic needy puppy-faced musicians. Mostly me.)

that said-
I find it extremely hard to beat a good Spector, but that Schecter is ssseexxxy.

I think in that particular case I'd go Schecter, but only because I've played that model and it's amazing. It's bright, snappy, and hi-fi, where as the Spector will almost always be more traditional and warmer than a Schecter...

I typically prefer that, but I've never played the lower end Spectors. Only the expensive ones that leave me drooling and depressed. Lol
I don't know guys. I haven't played either bass, but looking at the specs, the Schecter is neck through and uses better body wood. Both are 35" scale, have 2 band eqs, rosewood fingerboards, 24 frets. I loves me a good Spector, but the Schecter might actually be a better bass. But OP, you really need to try both out yourself. Also, is $700 the absolute limit? Because I see Spector Euro 4LXs used on Craigslist sometimes for $800-900, and I guarantee that will be FAR better than either of the 2 basses
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
recently payed a Spector- as a former Schecter owner, and player of many Schecters in stores, I feel it was by far better.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
^ What Spector was it?
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Quote by kugelspot
^ What Spector was it?

it wasn't a super expensive one, but it wasn't a cheapo either... I don't quite remember. it had some good pups.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I've played a Spector, and it was near perfect. Dunno about Schecters though, they look good.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Just because everyone else seems to be leaning the other way, I'll put my opinion in.
I think schecters are very good for the price, though I have never found one I have wanted. Spectors, however, I have never liked at all. It's simply a personal thing but you have to try them out to see if you dislike them too (or otherwise). Of the two you have shortlisted from a spec POV the schecter is better.
If you are looking at 35" scale basses in particular then also look at Ibanez BTBs too because they have a 3 band eq and are very good in general too.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I'd save a little for the Schecter Stiletto Studio. I've played the Spector Legend personally, and the Schecter beat it badly IMO. The Legend doesn't have that Spector tone, or so was my experience.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Cody_Grey102
The Legend doesn't have that Spector tone, or so was my experience.

Thats kinda what it looked like to me, based on the specs. The Studios are actually very nice. I played one once, and I'd go so far as to say that if you replaced the HZs with really EMGs, it would be better than an MIA Fender, and, as much as I hate to admit it, would rival a neck through Euro Spector. Actually, it really reminded me of a Spector. The tone was different, and they don't even look that similar, but it just had a similar vibe. So, ya, get the Studio. You won't be disappointed, and It would be significantly better than the Schecter you were looking at.
Quote by C0_0kie

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP