Page 1 of 5
Never was a fan of any of the amp modeling. My last trip to GC it seemed old school tube amps were more in fashion than anything. Is amp modeling dying?
The Line6 POD and there oher modeling amps sounded dreadful. You just cannot beat the tube tone. No matter what you try.
I doubt it. It has its purposes. But if Tube-Toners become the majority, GC and MF will cater to that demographic.

What will the elitists hate on when everyone has a Tube amp? Tolex patterns? Not that I'm calling the TS an elitist, I was just poting a thought. No one is unedr attack here. Just food for thought.

If everyone had a Rock Solid Tube amp, what would we talk about here??? What would people hate on??? Would the bandwagoning die???
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Last edited by Jonny Ryan Mac at Sep 1, 2009,
The trend now is low watt tube amps.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
a vetta is not dreadful
--Clips in profile! comment please!--
Guitars
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Schecter Solo-6 Limited
Takamine G330H

Amps
Line 6 Vetta
Carvin X100B

Pedals
cmatmods Signa Drive, Brownie, and Boost
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
MXR 10 band EQ
Quote by I am wet
The trend now is low watt tube amps.

For real,

Has anyone done a 300+ person gig with a 5 watt tube amp? If so, did you have to have a seperate monitor for your amp mic off the pa. I hear folks say that it can be done. But I have never, ever, ever seen it in person. I go to a lot of shows, and play a few as well. Never seen anything less than a 50W on stage.
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Theres quite a few VERY good modellers, the VT's and vypry's come to mind, however the line6 guitar modelling sounds TERRIBLE.
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
I doubt it. It has its purposes. But if Tube-Toners become the majority, GC and MF will cater to that demographic.

What will the elitists hate on when everyone has a Tube amp? Tolex patterns? Not that I'm calling the TS an elitist, I was just poting a thought. No one is unedr attack here. Just food for thought.

If everyone had a Rock Solid Tube amp, what would we talk about here??? What would people hate on??? Would the bandwagoning die???

We'd probably still lol at Spiders, we just wouldn't get many chances. We still talk about a lot of other stuff though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
i think if anything, ug plays a major role in killing off this amp modeling mumbo jumbo. think of how many kids ask for what amp to get? and think of how many tube purists are quick to reply?

anyway, i still believe hybrid is a good and cheap investment for home play. i heard that bon jovi once used a 10 watt amp to record one of their albums, who would've known?
Member #40 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join.
Did it occur to you that they sold out their inventory of modeling amps and that's why all they had was tube amps?

It happens all the time.
Quote by gregs1020
Did it occur to you that they sold out their inventory of modeling amps and that's why all they had was tube amps?

It happens all the time.

all the peavey vyprys, Vox Valvetronixs, Line 6 Spider X's, and roland cubes? highly doubtful.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"

Join the revolution.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
Would the bandwagoning die???

No. The (stock) valveking will replace the Spider III if everything goes tube.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
For real,

Has anyone done a 300+ person gig with a 5 watt tube amp? If so, did you have to have a seperate monitor for your amp mic off the pa. I hear folks say that it can be done. But I have never, ever, ever seen it in person. I go to a lot of shows, and play a few as well. Never seen anything less than a 50W on stage.

I've never played a show where I DIDNT have my own monitor facing me. Then again the venues around here are mostly very well funded and huge bands come through all the time. But none of this will matter anymore since we're investing in a top notch IEM system soon. And just in case a venue lacks the PA/monitor/mixer setup we need we have all of our own stuff that we bring as well. I have this thing about leaving our setup and mix in the hands of a sound guy that I've never worked with lol so i try to compensate/prepare for everything
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Quote by Darkshade666
One word = Axe-FX
Good game.

Quote by no.mop

Join the revolution.

Yes and yes.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by nivlarama
i think if anything, ug plays a major role in killing off this amp modeling mumbo jumbo. think of how many kids ask for what amp to get? and think of how many tube purists are quick to reply?

anyway, i still believe hybrid is a good and cheap investment for home play. i heard that bon jovi once used a 10 watt amp to record one of their albums, who would've known?

If it's a tubes preamp and SS poweramp, it's not worth buying over a normal SS amp. If it's got a tube poweramp and SS preamp, then it's worth buying over a pure SS amp. And lots of people use low watt amps to record albums. Clapton, Hendrix, Page, etc. have all used low watt tube amps to get a huge cranked power tube tone on record.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by thrasher.
How are much are one of those Axe FX? Like $1400 new right?

Yes, something like 1500.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
For real,

Billy Gibbons used a modded Champ running a Marshall 4X12 at one point for stadium shows. He was mic'd up though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by randomhero93
all the peavey vyprys, Vox Valvetronixs, Line 6 Spider X's, and roland cubes? highly doubtful.

Bull****. Which guitar center has none of the above? I'll call them right now. You sir, are totally full of it. UG has little impact on the overall buying patterns of 14-45 yr olds. I know this, I work in a guitar store. About 20% get their tabs from UG, a small percentage visit the forums. I am yet to meet anyone that posts in or reads GG&A, I ask every day.

Axe is simply a modeling unit. So is the future modeling or not?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Bright Light
I've never played a show where I DIDNT have my own monitor facing me. Then again the venues around here are mostly very well funded and huge bands come through all the time. But none of this will matter anymore since we're investing in a top notch IEM system soon. And just in case a venue lacks the PA/monitor/mixer setup we need we have all of our own stuff that we bring as well. I have this thing about leaving our setup and mix in the hands of a sound guy that I've never worked with lol so i try to compensate/prepare for everything

Correct, and niether have I. But in that monitor is vocals, bass, and a wee bit of my gutiar (at the momment). I understand your point. I would like to add however that we shouldnt boast low wattage amps as gig-worthy. I hear it every time. "Hell yeah the Tiny Terror is greart for gigging. I havent done it yet, cuas eI dont have a band But you could mic it in the pa, right?"

I have yet to see a stage musician with a Blackheart Little Giant, an HT-5, a Tiny Terror, Vox ac15, so on and so on. Its not to say that it cant happen, I just havent seen it happen. There comes a point in the stage musician's mind when power become a factor. It should be. Its not the only factor, but one of them. If you could gig with any amp, and HT-5's and TT's were the best Tube toners out there, I would see them on the local circut.

I dont.

I see JCM 800's, Vintage Fenders and the dreaded Frontmen, VOX ac30's, Mesa's. Peavey 5150 and 6505's, Valvestates, and eggggggaddds no!!!!!!! I dude with a MG100 stack....there's so many more out there.

I have yet to see a low wattage tube amp (>15 watts) on a stage with a full band.

Low wattage tubes are the new hotness. There's just as much bandwagon slurpin' on Ug and there is bandwagon hate.
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Last edited by Jonny Ryan Mac at Sep 1, 2009,
Quote by no.mop

Join the revolution.

And this one too.

Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
rant

The hype is there because 90% of UG doesn't play live.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD

That is true, a good chunk of the regular posters in GG&A are admitted bedroom guitarists.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD

/truth

The smallest amp I've ever gigged with was a borrowed AC30. I just wanted to point out that it could be done, atleast if you've got the money Billy Gibbons has.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

No way. Modeling is still in its infancy. I believe it will get MUCH better over the next decade. My Axe FX fools almost everybody who hears it. It is by far the best most amazing piece of gear I own. I recommend them to everyone for every type of music.
Quote by Damius
Never was a fan of any of the amp modeling. My last trip to GC it seemed old school tube amps were more in fashion than anything. Is amp modeling dying?
The Line6 POD and there oher modeling amps sounded dreadful. You just cannot beat the tube tone. No matter what you try.

Have you not heard of the Axe-FX??
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by thrasher.
How are much are one of those Axe FX? Like $1400 new right?

$1500 for the Standard; $2000 for the Ultra.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
If anything, tube amps are on their way out.

This thread wins the fail award of 2009.

Someone please tell me what GC has no modeling amps, I promise to call them first thing in the AM to confirm this.

Otherwise,

it's true that the amp modelling trend has dipped significantly over the past few months.

but that doesn't mean amp modelling technology as a whole is crap. it's true that you can't get the exact same sound with it, but it does bring a lot more convenience, possibilities for exploration and creativity, and most of all: savings.

not everyone likes our highly matured and intelligent Damius' idea of owning only tube amps when in fact, you'd either:

1)have to spend thousands of bucks to get just that one amp with limited features
2)buy a low wattage tube amp which honestly sounds no better than modelling technology of the same price
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
For real,

I tour with an AC30 and I have it set to the 22w setting on the back (Custom Classic version). I'm always the loud one..Played the Lincoln Theatre in Raleigh, NC (1200 person venue) and had no trouble being heard. Played Murray Hill in Jacksonville, FL....300 people, sounded great. Hell, we did a show in Sarasota, FL, piss poor sound system, no amps miced, 600 person show, and we were told we were super loud. Biggest amp on stage was a Bugera 6260 running half power for 60 watts. Other bands were running Mesa Dual Recs, Peavey 5150/ 6505, Orange Rockerverbs; etc

Once I played a 400 person gig with a borrowed Egnater Rebel 20, set it to 1 watt, cranked it and grinned. My tone ruled.

This October, my band is opening for Stryper and Pillar among other bands. We are playing at Koka Booth Amphitheater (5000+ person show, outdoors) I will be using my Vox

No one NEEDS more than 50 watts unless they are playing unmiced in stadiums
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Last edited by Bloodshed at Sep 1, 2009,
People are so quick to judge modeling based off of their own horrid experience with Spider IIIs. More than half of these people have undoubtedly missed the opportunity to try a Vetta or Axe-FX, both of which are excellent pieces of gear. Tubes are an archaic technology, the amp equivalent of Betamax. It's just that they produce tones that guitarists love that are rich in harmonics and depth. But technology will catch up; it always does.
No, but tube amps are comming WAY down in price......

I predict that the new trend will be mixing good tube tech with modeling effects.... like the Line 6 Valve....Designed by Bogner and line 6 together..... It is an Awsome amp.

Stuff like this blends good tone with the ease of a simple amp, no worrieing about blending effects loops, no complicates effects pedals and TONS of cords and wires, and you can plug em right into a recording device.
Made in Detroit
Guitars, Guns, Cars, Beer, and Women... This is what makes real men happy.
Quote by speedinc

No, they are not. Bad, low quality tube amps are indeed becoming more widespread, but the good tube amps are as expensive as ever.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by gregs1020
If anything, tube amps are on their way out.

thats not gonna happen
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Quote by speedinc

I predict that the new trend will be mixing good tube tech with modeling effects.... like the Line 6 Valve....Designed by Bogner and line 6 together..... It is an Awsome amp.

Stuff like this blends good tone with the ease of a simple amp, no worrieing about blending effects loops, no complicates effects pedals and TONS of cords and wires, and you can plug em right into a recording device.

No, it's quite bad, all things considered. You can do much better for the price. Tubes in digital modeling amps are just gimmicks. They can make the sound slightly warmer, but that's about it.
Quote by madh4ttr
thats not gonna happen

Not completely, but a market once dominated by tube amps (gigging musicians) have and will convert to the versatility that new technology offers especially over time. It's been happening and will continue to do so. So tube amps are more on their way out than modeling technology. That was my point which I should have elaborated on in more detail.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD

I've noticed this about a lot of people here as well. and looking back at things Im glad I went for my Maz 38 over an AC15 even if the Maz was more than twice as much. I have to admit that a large factor in the purchase was the higher wattage of my Maz in case I ever came across a venue that for some reason or other didnt mic amps. havent so far, but in average size venue I think it could hold its own since i dont use it for the cleans
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Page 1 of 5