Hello,
I just got lemon oil the other day and used it on my bass' rosewood fretboard, and followed the directions on the container (rub parallel to frets, leave for 5 minutes before wiping off...) and I noticed that a day or so after doing this, my fretboard looked rather dry, with gray-ish tinted areas throughout. Any easy ways to fix this and get a nice shine? Ask questions if you need clarification.
Thanks!
lemon oil works great but, you need to clean the dirt off the f-board first. i use an all purpose furniture cleaner or even a window cleaner for really grungy frets. don't let the cleaners soak in. scrub down the fretboard and wipe it off. then i oil my board and i repeat the 5 minute process several times, until the fretboard stops soaking it in. mineral oil will work just as well as lemon oil.
So, something like Windex would work to clean it, and then go ahead and lemon oil it in 5-minute intervals until it stops soaking in?
I actually just use a slightly damp rag to clean them. very slight i mean. then dry it just in case. let sit a couple hours and then apply lemon oil. I'm not sure letting it sit is necessary but works just fine for me.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by edgeyyz
So, something like Windex would work to clean it, and then go ahead and lemon oil it in 5-minute intervals until it stops soaking in?

pretty much. i usually do 3 or 4 oil treatments. if it soaks up all the oil in 5 minutes, treat it again. if it leaves some oil after 5 minutes, your good to go.