Page 1 of 2
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. If it is, please point me in the right direction.

My high school's talent show is coming up in October, and my band is planning on playing. We're going to enter it with the intent of doing it to show off our talent, not to neccesarily win. We'd rather impress all of our peers and not win, than just impress the five judges and win. But winning is nice.

The set is going to be about 10-15 minutes, so around three songs. We're going to play at least one of our originals, and then either two covers, or another original and a cover. Right now, we're thinking about doing Waking the Demon or Unholy Confessions for the cover(s). Hopefully that gives you an idea of what music we play.

So finally, we could use some more suggestions on covers to play! We really wanna show of our talent, and do something fun and fast paced. Our drummer is pretty crazy with the double bass, so any songs that could show off that would be a plus. Lyrical content and stuff shouldn't be a problem. Even if they say we can't do a song because of lyrics, we'll go up there and play it anyway .

Thanks!
i thought you said you were doing 2 covers? you have 2 covers... what is this thread about?

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
i thought you said you were doing 2 covers? you have 2 covers... what is this thread about?

More suggestions on the covers!
Becuase those songs are just... blah.
i love playing Eradication by All Shall Perish, that solo makes people go wow when i play it. I dunno how skilled you are, it's not an insane solo but it's good. One Day I'll Stay Home by Misery Signals, i love this song, it's not technical but it's very melodic and good and everyone should love that.

those are my two suggestions...

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Selkies: The Endless Obsession

/Thread.

You play that song.

1. Pussy will be rolling in like crazy
2. You will win the show
3. It will show case your bands talent
4. Players will envy you
If you want to show off your drummers skills you could just have him do some crazy ass intro and then roll into the cover.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
If you're playing a bunch of metal, I'd mix it up and play something that isn't metal.

Something that is fun that will be fun playing and will be fun to listen to. You guys probably aren't badass enough to pull something like this song off...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2seAJsrtIbQ

But if I saw a talent show and the band played two metal songs and then finished off with something like that, I'd probably
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 2, 2009,
close it with we will rock you, as long as your singer is a decent singer it should be a success, especially with some audience participation

EDIT: and have a good encore song ready, just in case. YOu never know, they might love you guys
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
+1 on a non-metal song. just because if the audience isn't interested in metal then a solid 15 minutes is only going to make it worse. even a creative cover of something made into metal would be cool. i've heard some awesome hard rock covers for "Eleanor Rigby." now THAT would be awesome. something students AND teachers would recognize.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhRFFe28plo

like that!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Play some songs from Guitar Hero that way everyone watching will at least recognize the songs.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
Play some songs from Guitar Hero that way everyone watching will at least recognize the songs.

Well I don't know about you, but "Waking the Demon or Unholy Confessions" sounds pretty metal to me.
Quote by TatarSalad2

So finally, we could use some more suggestions on covers to play! We really wanna show of our talent, and do something fun and fast paced. Our drummer is pretty crazy with the double bass, so any songs that could show off that would be a plus. Lyrical content and stuff shouldn't be a problem. Even if they say we can't do a song because of lyrics, we'll go up there and play it anyway .

Thanks!

Drummer showing off = PAINKILLER!

But if you guys really wanna be able to show off do some Jazz.
I would say Six by all that remains, thats just if you want to go all metal.
Open up with

Hot for Teacher by Van Halen. The drums in the intro are pretty awesome. You can always do a metal cover of Hot for Teacher, as well. It'll get the crowd going.

For another song in the set, DO NOT PLAY FREEBIRD. Play a ballad like song. I do not know if you're into Metallica, but you can always do "One". Not because it's a great song, but because people will recognize it. If you do do this, cut out some of the clean part so that it shortens the song.

For the last song, you can do Waking the Demon, Unholy Confessions or Bat Country.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by Notmewtwoguitar
Well I don't know about you, but "Waking the Demon or Unholy Confessions" sounds pretty metal to me.

I never said they didn't sound metal.

I was just getting at lpaying songs that majority of people will know at his school. Which is why I mentioned guitar hero, as everyone knows the songs from that game. Even all the "ganstaz" know the songs from guitar hero now.

If people know what they are listening to they will pay more attention.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by Junnage
Open up with

Hot for Teacher by Van Halen. The drums in the intro are pretty awesome. You can always do a metal cover of Hot for Teacher, as well. It'll get the crowd going.

For another song in the set, DO NOT PLAY FREEBIRD. Play a ballad like song. I do not know if you're into Metallica, but you can always do "One". Not because it's a great song, but because people will recognize it. If you do do this, cut out some of the clean part so that it shortens the song.

For the last song, you can do Waking the Demon, Unholy Confessions or Bat Country.

This.
Except do "Nothing Else Matters" or "The Unforgiven" or you could do a Maiden song if your into it like "Revelations" or "Fear of the Dark" but the rest would be fine IMO
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Last edited by riflesndaisies at Sep 2, 2009,
Most A7X songs are good songs for your drummer to show off, I would say the best one by them is Chapter Four. If he can handle it. Or if you just want to be a complete show off do Painkiller. Not the best songs but at least it's stuff the crowd will recognize, which is something you should do for an opener.

Second I'd do something more rockish but with a funk feel to it. If you have the right amount of stompboxes, you can do a RATM cover (preferably Killing In The Name or Testify). If you want some real crowd praise, play a heavier version of Beat It in Drop D.

For a closer just do something soft, Fade To Black, Nothing Else Matters, even One since it has a nice shred at the end.

Be prepared for an encore. As weird as this may sound to recommend, do She's Only 17 by Warrant. A completely old ballad, but it sounds damn awesome, and was in the game Saint's Row so people might recognize it, besides by now people would be paying attention to you
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Quote by SPBY

Didn't you read the thread???
Compress the song "To Bid you farewell" by Opeth and change it up so it's suitable time wise and you're good to go?
Play some Dream Theater. I dont know, i guess thats the only band in that style of music with lots of talent that I could think of.
Quote by Moving Pictures
Play some Dream Theater. I dont know, i guess thats the only band in that style of music with lots of talent that I could think of.

I was just thinking this. If the band has the chops (and a keyboard player) then something like This Dying Soul or erotomania would kick ass.
Quote by Evil_Magician
Get the pink one.

Perforation of women guaranteed.
avenged sevenfold isn't very impressive
Quote by RATM forever
definitely the best spam thread today!
Do Message In A Bottle by The Police, and rock it up a bit. And maybe some Kings Of Leon, again rocking it up.

Seriously, no one would think you're a hugely amazing guitarist if you're playing songs they don't like; I play bloody Hero by Enrique and I'm suddenly the best guitarist in the school, although I normally play fairly hard stuff.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by srob7001
I never said they didn't sound metal.

I was just getting at lpaying songs that majority of people will know at his school. Which is why I mentioned guitar hero, as everyone knows the songs from that game. Even all the "ganstaz" know the songs from guitar hero now.

If people know what they are listening to they will pay more attention.

i'm taking a guess, but i think he meant to quote the post above you.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by halloweenhead
avenged sevenfold isn't very impressive

You think a bunch of mainstream gangsta teens know that?
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7

Quote by ZeroCS
You think a bunch of mainstream gangsta teens know that?

My thoughts exactly.

You guys gotta remember that he is playing at a highschool talent show.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Do one imo, then onto sometihng heavy

one = slow intro, then onto heavy, then 2nd song heavy so you finish on a high note

ALL RISE RIGHT HERE.

Also since it's high school

You could play wonderwall and have enough chicks for the rest of the year.
Last edited by BoL7z at Sep 2, 2009,
Play some The Faceless material. My band covered An Autopsy (not for talent show purposes) but people bowed down right afterwards.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
Quote by BoL7z
You could play wonderwall and have enough chicks for the rest of the year.

That's more of a campfire song. If TS wants to play that for the pooseh, open up with it. This way the girls will be quite interested for the other two songs and the dudes will be shocked once they start playing A7X songs.

Cemetary Gates by Pantera goes miles with girls actually, you just need to nail Phil Anselmo's voice, and be able to do Dime's solo halfway decent. Think you can handle that TS?
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7

The key to a successful and memorable set is playing familiar songs, and visually captivating the audience. Playing behind the head or faking with your teeth, and a little duck walking never hurt anyone. Instead of doing arpeggios with sweeping, consider the satriani mute with the right hand play with the left arps.

After you've visually turned yourself into a wanker, which is cool, because it's high school and anyone who can play guitar should put themselves out there. A fanbase is a fanbase.

As far as songs go, some of the ideas seem a little too over the top. No one other than fans of specific songs wants to hear the whole song. Sorry to break it to you, but One would get old unless it's Metallica playing it.

Cut out the drawn out sections of anything you do, and don't finish a single song, instead find a transition from song to song. When you can take a crowd from start, up and down up and down, without any pauses, they will be much more satisfied than start, up, down, finish, pause, repeat. If your set requires a guitar change or tuning change, then its drum solo time.

As far as songs go, try a lot of theme music and classical stuff, Pokemon, Mario, James Bond, Star Wars, Flight of the Bumblebee, Fur Elise, Tocatta Fugue in D minor, The Circus Chromatic theme thingy, you get the idea.

For legitimate songs, 90's alternative hits are great, who doesn't know kryptonite, under the bridge, scar tissue, and some Santana smooth. If you want to do metal you're going to have to cut to the chase, Intro, main riff, and solos. Consider Crazy Train, Enter Sandman, One, The Beautiful People, Eruption (mainly just the 2 handed tapping), Hot for Teacher (really liked that idea), Eye of the Tiger, Smoke on the Water, Steve Vai- The Audience Is Listening, Satch Boogie, Joe Satriani-Midnight (looks extremely cool)
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Sleep now in the Fire - RATM. Imagine all the people at your schoo hearing you sing about Agent Orange and slavery and Hiroshima and ****. **** yeah. You'll be a badass. Plus, the riff's bitchin'.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Do a free jam, but give the singer a stop watch, and at each minute have him call out "4 minutes, 4 minutes 30 etc." until you get to 15 minutes.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Metal / Metalcore cover of "Never Gonna Give You Up"
Ibanez RG2570e
Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Peavey VK112

Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-7
Digitech Multi Chorus
Page 1 of 2